X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kurtgavino15
    replied
    Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
    Noel do you have the old receiver working also with the new one? Seems like your old receiver was F-RPLL2 and your replacement is F-RPLL3. I am seeing both receivers tracking. Also with your original setup you had on the ground tracking at NAIA but I don't see that now.

You have excellent range to the Southwest into the Philippine Sea.

We seem to have lost F-RPLL1 who looked down on NAIA and allowed on ground tracking from terminal 3 to the old terminal 1.

What's happening up Cavite way?

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete
    Yes John it seems that F-RPLL2 is back online about a month ago.

Leave a comment:

• paradiselost
    replied
    Noel do you have the old receiver working also with the new one? Seems like your old receiver was F-RPLL2 and your replacement is F-RPLL3. I am seeing both receivers tracking. Also with your original setup you had on the ground tracking at NAIA but I don't see that now.

You have excellent range to the Southwest into the Philippine Sea.

We seem to have lost F-RPLL1 who looked down on NAIA and allowed on ground tracking from terminal 3 to the old terminal 1.

What's happening up Cavite way?

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete

Leave a comment:

• kurtgavino15
    replied
    Originally posted by boom_box87 View Post
    Got the package today... yay!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7439[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7440[/ATTACH]

But for some reason.. I was expecting a N-type male connector but it's directly attached to the antenna it self. Did someone miss to put that connector?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7441[/ATTACH]
    That's nice Boom, Yes N-type male connector is directly connected to the antenna no problem right there but first put a sealant/rubber tape in that open part so that the water will not go in the antenna and make your range decrease. Enjoy your FR24 Receiver

Leave a comment:

• paradiselost
    replied
    Alright then.. I really thought that someone was doing a "shortcut work" by attaching the wire directly to the antenna.
    Since there is no need for that N-type connector. Do you have any recommended idea to seal the wire and antenna?
    What I'm thinking right now is that I'll be using a heat shrinking tube, wrap it up with 3M electrical tape and then apply some Vulcaseal (elastomeric seal) around the electrical tape.

Anyway, I'm already in the process of finding materials for the pole that I will be using. So far, I will inquire some aluminum/glass shops that sells Aluminium tubes.
    This is one the also recommended by my father (a licensed radio operator) since it is more lighter and easier to install.
    Since the antenna coax connection if facing down nothing more than a dab of vulcaseal should be needed. Shrink and tape is a overkill in my opinion. Electrical tape breaks down after a few years.

My mast and antennas here have survived two typhoons. In another typhoon the mast on my roof was taken down by a gust taking the top off my garage and throwing it against a guy wire breaking it.

This is my mast that survived two typhoons.

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete

Leave a comment:

• boom_box87
    replied
    Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
    Boom that is one of continuing improvements that will greatly improve the life of the system, put it up there and forget it.
    1. By eliminating the N-connector it will eliminate the difficulty of weather sealing the N-connector and the loss associated with any connector.
    2. By eliminating loss it will enable the receiver to increase range by giving it a stronger weak signal to work with.

After all this drama with TNT it just delayed you shipment one day.

We will be watching when you get it up and power it on.

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete
    Alright then.. I really thought that someone was doing a "shortcut work" by attaching the wire directly to the antenna.
    Since there is no need for that N-type connector. Do you have any recommended idea to seal the wire and antenna?
    What I'm thinking right now is that I'll be using a heat shrinking tube, wrap it up with 3M electrical tape and then apply some Vulcaseal (elastomeric seal) around the electrical tape.

Anyway, I'm already in the process of finding materials for the pole that I will be using. So far, I will inquire some aluminum/glass shops that sells Aluminium tubes.
    This is one the also recommended by my father (a licensed radio operator) since it is more lighter and easier to install.

Leave a comment:

• paradiselost
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7439[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7440[/ATTACH]

But for some reason.. I was expecting a N-type male connector but it's directly attached to the antenna it self. Did someone miss to put that connector?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7441[/ATTACH]
    Boom that is one of continuing improvements that will greatly improve the life of the system, put it up there and forget it.
    1. By eliminating the N-connector it will eliminate the difficulty of weather sealing the N-connector and the loss associated with any connector.
    2. By eliminating loss it will enable the receiver to increase range by giving it a stronger weak signal to work with.

After all this drama with TNT it just delayed you shipment one day.

We will be watching when you get it up and power it on.

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete
    Last edited by paradiselost; 2016-04-21, 23:26.

Leave a comment:

• boom_box87
    replied
    IMG_20160421_131356.jpgIMG_20160421_231520.jpg

IMG_20160421_231908.jpg

Leave a comment:

• paradiselost
    replied
    I will call the TNT hotline number today to make a follow-up about this..

Anyway, while waiting for the package. Where can I find these kinds of pole/mast clamps since I will be installing the receiver on a concrete wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7436[/ATTACH]

For reference, here is my plan where to put the pole..
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7437[/ATTACH]
    Boom those stand offs are intended for light weight tv antennas not 1 3/4" or 2" galvanized pipe mast poles. Your hardware or construction supplies stores will have the appropriate pipe clamps. The bolts and anchors have to be purchased separately. If you are attaching to that cinder block fence it will need sturdy guy wires to keep it up in typhoon force winds and to prevent it falling into power lines or your neighbor's house. A copper ground rod needs to be driven into the ground next to the mast which should be buried in concrete at least 1 meter deep.

The FR24 kit has 10 meters of coax which requires the receiver being placed up to 10 meters from the antenna. If you need to go with a taller mast put the receiver in a weather proof metal box and attach it to the mast. Inside the box include a power lead from the house to power the receiver and sufficient ethernet cable to attach to your modem. Use either a vacant receptacle in the house or attach the power lead to a light switch which you can use to reboot the receiver as needed from time to time.

Remember if an eye wall of a typhoon passes over you the wind gusts will change direction and will need to be taken into account when you plan your guy wires which should be 16 gauge galvanized wire with turn buckles to tighten as they stretch with age.

It looks like you might receive the receiver Friday or Saturday.

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete

Leave a comment:

• boom_box87
    replied
    Kinda excited to get the package tomorrow at LBC.

I will be also searching in local hardware shops to inquire for aluminium tubes and GI pipes to be used in my pole mast.
    Sadly, my vacant time is only on Sundays.

Leave a comment:

• skyspotter
    replied
    Cool! Lets see how it goes and how wide is the coverage there in northern mindanao..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• kurtgavino15
    replied
    I just got a call from personnel from TNT and informing me that the package was already sent to LBC for pick-up.
    Ohh That's nice according to your shipment update it's already in the LBC, check it if the package is already in LBC.

Leave a comment:

• boom_box87
    replied
    Originally posted by kurtgavino15 View Post
    Good Afternoon guys just got the package this morning from JRS Express and it's in good condition and plan to install it immediately, Nice Boom but until now no progress from your Shipment.
    I just got a call from personnel from TNT and informing me that the package was already sent to LBC for pick-up.

Leave a comment:

• kurtgavino15
    replied
    I just called TNT hotline this morning. They said that already received the package and its already been paid of anything.
    They are just waiting for any local courier that will ship to Iligan.
    Good Afternoon guys just got the package this morning from JRS Express and it's in good condition and plan to install it immediately, Nice Boom but until now no progress from your Shipment.

Leave a comment:

• boom_box87
    replied
    I just called TNT hotline this morning. They said that already received the package and its already been paid of anything.
    They are just waiting for any local courier that will ship to Iligan.

Leave a comment:

• kurtgavino15
    replied
    I will call the TNT hotline number today to make a follow-up about this..

Anyway, while waiting for the package. Where can I find these kinds of pole/mast clamps since I will be installing the receiver on a concrete wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7436[/ATTACH]

For reference, here is my plan where to put the pole..
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7437[/ATTACH]
    Yes Boom follow up the TNT about your package, about the pole/clamps maybe try finding in the local hardware in your area maybe you can find there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X