New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nzradar View Post
    For the past few weeks or so since moving to a new home I have been plagued by interference on my HF setup and I suspected the culprit to be a newly acquired Elad FDM-S1 receiver. After getting really frustrated with it I decided to go back to old school ways and get a desktop receiver namely an Icom IC-R71

Well, I found exactly the same issue when I connected it up to the mains and the antenna. Realising then that the issue was external to my HF receiver and antenna I set to work shutting off electrical items one by one in the home and garage.

I found the problem! It was an ADS-B receiver supplied by FR24.com and if this was turned off all of a sudden my HF receiver became extremely quiet!

So now all I have to do is find out why the receiver or it's ethernet connection generate so much noise, but in the meantime happy days on HF at last. Now for the first time my ears are very happy.

So in a nutshell F-NZPM2 will be off the air until I can find a solution to happy affair with HF and ADS-B. FR Support have been notified.
    You seem to be essentiel to MLAT, so 'get well soon'

Comment

• Some have reported issues with the fr24 box being too close (a few inches away) to other stuff. Dont know if that helps, but easy to check.

Comment

• It's all down to location, location, location. The receiver and antenna are at the back of the garage and the HF antenna is close by (3 metres). Moving the HF antenna, which is the easy bit, doesn't reduce the interference and moving the ADS-B antenna and receiver is not an option. So the solution will be to fix the interference generator. I can't compromise on my HF activities unfortunately. We'll see what I can discover this weekend.
        Michael
        Palmerston North,
        New Zealand
        ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Shes doing night missions

N677F GLF5 40975 ft
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• They have "live" tracking of the flight via google earth: https://www.eol.ucar.edu/content/flight-tracking

n677f.jpg

Comment

• So it is

FA have it with delayed updates/routes too http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N677F
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Still no reply from my enquiries to CAA re the 3 ATR72-600's lack of ADS-B. I am wondering if this is a failure of their systems. Odd that ZK-MVC was still showing up yesterday, though none of the other new ATR's were.

Comment

• Seems like Google is at it again with LOON:

20140613Loon.png

Oddly my antenna is not picking it up (F-NZCH2). Maybe its in my blind spot nearly straight above.
                  And it just disappeared... strange.

Comment

• That has to be a mis location for the aussie ones.

Ive not had it on my logs all day. Just the citation N510wd thats just headed north

Comment

• This from CAA today "The ATR-600 have had ADS-B out functionality disabled until certified by the European OEM".

Comment

• http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/issu...l#.U5rPXZSSzBY

Comment

• Well crud. That puts a dampener on things. At least they had the decency to answer! I was having my doubts they would care

Comment

• Seems that there is a rush in the airline industries to get ADS-B installed and certified before these mandates come in to force in the US, Europe , and Australia. That's causing a holdup on the certifications I guess. Australia had to be totally on ADS-B last year. NZ seems to be way back to 2020 and I can't see it getting there with Domestic flights as most are with Dash 8's and Beech 1900's. Perhaps our ATR's had only STC's (Supplemental Type Certificates.) However, its nice to see ZK-MVC appears to be still visible.

Comment

• N1RP en route Auckland to Christchurch is identified on FR24.com as flight B427 and aircraft Bell 427 with a helicopter icon!

b427.jpg

Planefinder.net straight out identifies the aircraft as N1RP with hex code of A00187. Flightaware has a track block on this flight so is Planefinder.net breaching the rules and where is FR24.com getting info about a Bell helicopter from?
                              Michael
                              Palmerston North,
                              New Zealand
                              ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• N1RP just landed at Christchurch 23.40hrs and still a heli icon on my PP screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X