Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry PI installation made too easy with extra feature.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anydanow1
    replied
    Hi...I'm new to Raspberry Pi, FlightRadar24, ADS-B, etc....I'm absolutely fascinated by aviation and my experience using FlightRadar24, and because of that I immediately set up my own FR24 feed with an ADS-B USB dongle to contribute to the FR24 network. Everything is working perfectly for several days now.

Here are my two very basic questions:

1) In using the FR24 website under the Business Plan that you get for hosting a receiver and feed on a Pi, I was trying to find a way where I can see essentially the default map view but with only my feed's data on it. I'm very curious to see what my receiver is receiving, super-imposed on a map display that shows me only my traffic. Is that what this thread is discussing doing? And the original first post contains the details for installing all of the needed components to do that from a pre-built image, instead of me piecing everything together on my own?

2) In my "FR24 Feeder Tracked Aircraft" list on the Port 8754 status page in my browser, I see a lot of entries every day that say "Callsign: N/A" and the Lat/Long and Altitude fields are also sometimes N/A but other times some of them contain data. Can someone explain why I'm receiving something from those aircraft, but not enough to identify their Callsign and Lat/Long consistently?

Any feedback you can give on these intro questions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

John
    Last edited by anydanow1; 2019-02-11, 19:45.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Originally posted by fribse View Post
    For some reason it shows
    avr-tcp, Connected
    instead of DVB-C, but I think that's the only thing.
    It feeds to FR24, and the radar image shows, which is REALLY nice :-)
    I'm contemplating doing something to make the radar image available from the outside, but I don't want all the other stuff to be available.
    So I guess I have to figure out something with a reverse proxy. Has anybody else done this, and founds something really lightweight?
    Thats a good thing. The wizard has detected a source for data and latched onto it.
    Chosing DVBT would cause the script to blindly overwrite your Dump1090 settings - don't

You can change the format to beast-tcp on 30005 however if it appears unstable on ar/30002

I use nginx proxy with .htaccess user accounts which may do what you require. If you are lucky ABCD567 may expand on it as an optional step. But you direct an out of the norm external port, nginx catches it and forwards to correct internal once user verified
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-11-13, 09:39.

Leave a comment:

• fribse
    replied
    Wow this is a very cool setup.
    I've gotten the dump1090 up and running nicely, no problems there, it shows nice maps, stats everything.
    But when I go to configure the FR24 on port 8754, I get an error, there is no reply on the port.
    I've done all the updates I can think of.

I've now run the
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - repo dot feed dot flightradar24 dot com slash install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
    It redownloaded the fr24, and that made the FR24 work, now I hope I haven't screwed up everything else.
    When asked, I just let it do auto-configure.
    For some reason it shows
    avr-tcp, Connected
    instead of DVB-C, but I think that's the only thing.
    It feeds to FR24, and the radar image shows, which is REALLY nice :-)
    I'm contemplating doing something to make the radar image available from the outside, but I don't want all the other stuff to be available.
    So I guess I have to figure out something with a reverse proxy. Has anybody else done this, and founds something really lightweight?

Leave a comment:

• elljay
    replied
    The log file setting has always been a bit screwy (i.e. ignored!). This thread has a logrotate script that seems to work

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    For anyone who's interested, I opted to have the cron job reboot in the early hours each morning.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    The stats for one of my remotely located feeders ( RPi 3B and Prostick Plus running this install version ) changed significantly in early September, with range and hits/reports dropping by 25% in one day. Since then, the stats have continued to drop slowly to about 10-30% of its original 'reported' performance. I've been wondering if its a hardware issue, too large a log file or just a stats issue/aberration.

Then on Friday afternoon, the area where its located was hit by wild weather including 40 lightning strikes within 3km and 3 within 750m. The feeder went offline in the middle of the storm ( I guessing the Prostick is zapped ) and the router lost connection about 16 hours later ( probably power circuit breaker has tripped and the battery backup then drained ). So I'm making a site visit tomorrow to see whats left and to take along some replacement equipment.

Today, I'm making a new SD Card today with the log turned off. In case the RPi is becoming sluggish because its running continuously, I'm also thinking of adding a cron job to give it a routine kickstart. What do the wise ones suggest ? Should the cron job reboot the Pi or just restart the FR24 service ?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Damianiw
    replied
    Thanks I've started a fresh install and have map working now to setup feeders

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Damianiw

(1) Give command: sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability

Alternatively reboot Pi.

(2) Clear Browser Cache: Press (Ctrl+Shift+Delete) Keys simultaneously

(3) Reload Browser: Press (Ctrl+F5) Keys simultaneously

IF all above does not work, check if your Dongle is plugged-in firmly. Un-plug and Re-plug it. If dongle is connected using a USB extender cable, remove cable and connect directly, or try another cable.

If all that does not work, then it seems your installation is broken. In this case the best solution is a fresh install:

EITHER:
    Download and write image as shown in first post of this thread

OR
    Do following:
    - Download Raspbian Stretch LITE image from http://raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
    - Write downloaded Raspbian image to your microSD Card.
    - FIRST software you should install is dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev.
    - Feeders should be installed AFTER dump1090-mutability has been installed.
    - Do NOT select option "Receiver = DVBT" in FR24 feeder configuration, otherwise your dump1090-mutability will be downgraded from ver 1.15 to ver 1.14

Leave a comment:

• Damianiw
    replied
    Hi firstly thanks for this guide I followed it a while ago and got my original rpi model b up and running unfortunately I’m now seeing this error

It’s feeding everywhere ok just the map has got this Ajax error so I can’t use it or the open Adsb iOS app

I’m thinking of grabbing a spare SD and starting again in case it’s a corruption issue, I’ve tried updating and rebooting and also saw the threads about ipv6 and tried those suggestions just in case as I notice the fr24 monitor page is listing my ipv4 but also ipv6 addresses - I’m with BT and I think they issued a router update in August which they are now ‘testing’ or more correctly ‘fiddling’ as my router will sometimes say ipv6 enabled and other times not - could be just coincidence but I changed nothing before it stopped working so something external changed possibly isp, or open street maps / google

The piaware page works but complains about something on google maps hence my adding google above

Should I be looking to start with the image on the first thread or should I download a fresh base image for raspian lite on a newer release ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Originally posted by vielflieger View Post
    This i did ..but why is the file 1,x Gig and after write to the SD Card i just got a small MB Drive (around 20) and a 2nd 1,4 GB empty Drive on the SD Card.
    If i use the SD Card i just see a rainbow on my blackberry. Screen

Flightware BIN is working fine withy my Rasberry.
    2 separate SD cards, or using the same?

'Rainbow' as everyone puts it is the screen test. It remains on screen if no valid OS boots

Commonly, bad SD card, wrongly formatted (and then imaged SD), or incompatibility

Leave a comment:

• vielflieger
    replied
    Originally posted by SlashbNL View Post
    You need to write the image to the sd-card with a tool like Win32DiskImager or Etcher if you're on a windows pc.
    This i did ..but why is the file 1,x Gig and after write to the SD Card i just got a small MB Drive (around 20) and a 2nd 1,4 GB empty Drive on the SD Card.
    If i use the SD Card i just see a rainbow on my blackberry. Screen

Flightware BIN is working fine withy my Rasberry.

Leave a comment:

• Damianiw
    replied
    Raspberry PI installation made too easy with extra feature.

Originally posted by Damianiw View Post
    Hi dump1090 has stopped working returning an Ajax error, planefinder and fr24 are still feeding and local plane finder map is working I’m going to try an apt-get update anyone seen similar ?

Hi I’m still not able to resolve this error, flight aware and it’s map is running as is flight radar so I think I need to look into dump1090

I noted the ipv6 issues and made the amendments recommended but still the same could anyone help point me in the right direction - I documented the steps I took to install so will work back through them

Leave a comment:

• SlashbNL
    replied
    Originally posted by vielflieger View Post
    What did do wrong ?

I extract the BIN File to the Micro SD Card but i just git a 20 MB Partition with some OS Files and a Empty 2nd Partition with 1.4 GB
    And of course nothing is working on my Rasberry.
    You need to write the image to the sd-card with a tool like Win32DiskImager or Etcher if you're on a windows pc.

Leave a comment:

• Damianiw
    replied
    Originally posted by Damianiw View Post
    Thanks I was over thinking and didn’t realise it was as easy as putting in myRPiHostName.local/dump1090/ to the source :-) it didn’t need the http as it then added it to the url

Really like the way the app allows that and can switch between multiple sources ie adsb-exchange or my own pi :-)

I’m not sure if I feed adsb-exchange at present will look at back at the 1st post and consider adding the package :-)

Hi dump1090 has stopped working returning an Ajax error, planefinder and fr24 are still feeding and local plane finder map is working I’m going to try an apt-get update anyone seen similar ?

Leave a comment:

• vielflieger
    replied
    What did do wrong ?

I extract the BIN File to the Micro SD Card but i just git a 20 MB Partition with some OS Files and a Empty 2nd Partition with 1.4 GB
    And of course nothing is working on my Rasberry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X