Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
    Hi all,

It's been some time since I wrote in to the forum, the lack of Tapatalk support is really making things inconvenient!

With the latest versions of the FR24 feeder (RPI version) and dump1090, I have replaced the daily reboot with a weekly reboot. It's been running for the last 4 days without any problems, so we could probably do away with the daily reboot routine. There don't seem to be any zombies around, and no memory leaks which I have seen so far. This is more like I would expect a Linux box to run! If I see problems, I shall update the forum.

I got my brand new Pi Model B+ up and running a few days ago, and I must say that the power handling is much improved. Also, one of my big problems was the operating temperature runnig inside a box located outdoors, and the B+ runs at least 5 degrees cooler. This is probably a by-product of using a switched power supply in the new version, but I'm not sure why it runs cooler. Has anyone else seen this?

I also LOVE the placement of the power connector, and the general layout of the new model. Much less space required in the enclosure now, everything fits so much more elegantly.

Best
    Jayant
    The B+ is a much better layout

I'll go for 2:13AM on a Sunday with crontab entry
    13 2 * * 0 /home/pi/fr24.sh

Comment

• Hi Peter,

I've had a look at the Crontab and this is the only entry:

@reboot sleep 5;/home/pi/fr24.sh
      0 */12 * * * /home/pi/fr24.sh

Not entirely sure what it's saying but I guess it's a daily thing at zero minutes but not sure what the /12 is.

Anyway, I have # that line out and added 0 3 * * */home/pi/fr24.sh hoping that means daily at 3am
      Last edited by Responder; 2014-09-07, 21:25.
      T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
      Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
      Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• */12 say take the hour divide by 12, do it when the remainder is zero

Comment

• Seems weird to divide the hour by 12, which would equate to 5 of something lol. Still doesn't explain why prior to me changing the settings, that it rebooted at 4am, 8am and noon.

Anyway, the Crontab I put in worked and Pi rebooted at 3am according to FR24 stats page. Slowly getting the hang of things lol.
          T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
          Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
            Seems weird to divide the hour by 12, which would equate to 5 of something lol. Still doesn't explain why prior to me changing the settings, that it rebooted at 4am, 8am and noon.

Anyway, the Crontab I put in worked and Pi rebooted at 3am according to FR24 stats page. Slowly getting the hang of things lol.
            0 */12 is once every twelve hours isn't it? ... matches up at 0 0 and 0 12

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              0 */12 is once every twelve hours isn't it? ... matches up at 0 0 and 0 12
              Mathematically yes but my RPi was rebooting every 4hrs - hence me saying 4am, 8am and noon.
              T-EGBB16

Comment

• rebooting or restarting the feeder?

Comment

rebooting or restarting the feeder?
                  tbh I do not know mate, as at 4am I am asleep and 8am and 12pm I am normally at work. So I do not know what it's doing, only the FR24 stats are showing 30 minute gaps 15mins eitherside of those hours.

What I will do though, I will put the Crontab code back to what it was and see what happens during tonight/tomorrow. Whatever it is, it's doing it on its own.
                  T-EGBB16

Comment

• nah, don't do that, our minimum aircraft is between one and two AM - I'd go for once a week somewhere in that time period.

I wonder why FR24 show a 10s outage as starting 10 minutes before and ending 10 minutes later
                    ---
                    FR24 say I see about 1450 aircraft a day, FlightAware say 4500 [75% with locations] ... I guess that means on average I see the same plane on 3 seperate flights a day
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-09-08, 18:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
                      Mathematically yes but my RPi was rebooting every 4hrs - hence me saying 4am, 8am and noon.
                      Using crontab can be challenging sometimes, I know that is a bit out of scope of this list, but I should offer my 2 cents:

http://www.generateit.net/cron-job/ Cron Job Generator

http://linux.die.net/man/1/crontab crontab - Linux man page

CronTab_Cheat_Sheet:
                      (Unfortunately, I can't remember from where I got this cheat sheet, so the credits are entirely not mine.)

Code:
                      #
                      # CronTab_Cheat_Sheet
                      #
                      # .---------------- minute (0 - 59)
                      # |  .------------- hour (0 - 23)
                      # |  |  .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
                      # |  |  |  .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ...
                      # |  |  |  |  .---- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or 7) OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat
                      # |  |  |  |  |
                      # *  *  *  *  * user-name  /Path/To/Command/to_be_executed
                      #
                      Good luck!
                      Marco-Luis
                      YV1HX
                      F-SVMC1

http://twitter.com/meteoven
                      http://yv1hx.no-ip.org
                      http://www.meteoven.org

Comment

• Peter: Yes, FR24 stats say that I have seen 1,234 planes today so far as I right this - I would say that is individual A/C as my VRS say much more as probably the majority (easyJet, RyanAir, AerLingus, Monarch etc) are seen approx 3 or 4 times per day and whilst VRS are counting each individual flight, FR24 are omitting them on repeat observations.

I will set my Crontab to 1.30am daily and see what happens. I would say though, as ./fr24.sh is shown after, I would say that it's restarting the feeder and not actually rebooting the RPi.

Edit: Just added this line to RPi, restart FR24 at 1.30am daily. I think it's correct: 30 1 * * * /home/pi/fr24.sh

Everything is working nicely though. Picture showing my Dual Monitors, Tracking BAW247 on my Radar ID (Radar ID Filtered on FR24) and ADSBscope Radar Range :-)

My Dual Monitors1 BAW247 08_09_2014.jpg

Marcus: Thanks for that :-)
                        Last edited by Responder; 2014-09-08, 21:39.
                        T-EGBB16

Comment

• Responder, I have a question. I have my pi running and feeding(for some months now) no problems. Was rooting thru some old files and came across a screenshot of adsbscope i took when my feed was originally running thru windows PC. Showed some great range and thought i would compare against FR24 and Dump 1090 running on my pi. I can view my pi's dump1090 output on local host but cant get adsbscope to connect to it. Any tips, hints, stunt tricks i may be missing? Any help appreciated

Comment

• G'day Stephen on the Sunny Coast - I'm originally from Mount Gravatt in Brizzy. Hope all is good there :-)

Now worries, to see ADSBscope running from RPI, you'll need to set your ADSBscope network setup to the IP address your RPi is linked to and the ADSBscope Port number to 31001. Press the ADSB# button in ADSBscope and dataformat is "normal". Recheck IP and Port setting after pressing ADSB# button. Save as default and it should work mate :-)
                            Last edited by Responder; 2014-09-09, 06:52. Reason: Put Gold instead of Sunny
                            T-EGBB16

Comment

• Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of running the FR24 Pi feeder from behind a firewall? Does it connect to the FR24 servers? Can we change the ports to use HTTP transport for example?

Best
                              Jayant
                              T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

---
                                FR24 say I see about 1450 aircraft a day, FlightAware say 4500 [75% with locations] ... I guess that means on average I see the same plane on 3 seperate flights a day
                                Hey Peter, how do I find out that info about my feed ?

John
                                T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

Working...
                                X