Alternatives to RPi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to RPi?

I'm considering building my ADS-B receiver to start feeding data to FR24. However, with the current shortage of RPi hardware, I'm wondering if it's possible to use any other hardware? For example, I have a spare Intel NUC (currently running Linux Mint) which I could use

YES, because Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is in turn based on Debian.

STEP-1: First install Install dump1090-mutability
    Code:
    sudo apt update

sudo apt install dump1090-mutability

sudo usermod -a -G plugdev dump1090  

## MUST REBOOT
    sudo reboot

STEP-2: Next install fr24feed

First determine your Machine's Architecture / OS by output of following command

Code:
    uname -m

If output of above command shows your Machine / OS is i386, use OPTION (1) below.

If output of above command shows your Machine / OS is x86_64 OR amd64, use OPTION (2) below.

OPTION (1): If your Machine / OS is i386
    Code:
    wget https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/linux_x86_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.25-3_i386.deb  

sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.25-3_i386.deb

sudo fr24feed --signup
    NOTE:
    When running command "sudo fr24feed --signup", after entering your details, you will see following message. Please say yes to autoconfig option

We have detected that you already have a dump1090 instance running. We can therefore automatically configure the FR24 feeder to use existing receiver configuration, or you can manually configure all the parameters.

Would you like to use autoconfig (*yes*/no)$: yes

Code:
    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed  

sudo fr24feed-status  

# To check/modify configuration, edit this file

sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

OPTION (2): If your Machine / OS is x86_64 OR amd64
    Code:
    wget https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/linux_x86_64_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb  

sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb  

sudo fr24feed --signup
    NOTE:
    When running command "sudo fr24feed --signup", after entering your details, you will see following message. Please say yes to autoconfig option

We have detected that you already have a dump1090 instance running. We can therefore automatically configure the FR24 feeder to use existing receiver configuration, or you can manually configure all the parameters.

Would you like to use autoconfig (*yes*/no)$: yes

Code:
    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed  

sudo fr24feed-status  

# To check/modify configuration, edit this file

sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

Linux Mint 21.png

Last edited by abcd567; 2022-11-30, 14:04.

Comment

Thanks abcd567 - I'm gonna be up and running in no time with your help

Comment

Please see also following threads for using Thin Clients as alternative to Raspberry Pi.

The new Thin Clients are available for US $250 ~ US $600.
        The used Thin Clients are available at Ebay and Amazon for US $40 ~ US $100 (including shipping).

Couple of months ago, I have purchased used Thin Client HP T520 for US $48 from Ebay, and am successfully using it for ADS-B + AIS (Ship and Boat tracking)

FYI: Alternatives to Raspberry Pi for this hobby

Howto Run ADS-B Receiver + AIS Receiver on Same RPi

Comment

Working...
        X