• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airnrail
    replied
    Originally posted by Traveller View Post
    Anmer you are correct.

I had a feed in Port Moresby PNG (Windows) which was T-AYPY1, and was 90% more reliable than F-AYPY1 which was offline most of the time. And still is most unreliable. I spent heaps on SBS1, SBS3, SBS Puck, (my own choice, $1500+) and it's all useless, which is disappointing.
    Didn't one of you alternate your feeder between POM and Dunk Island?

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    PI24 Image: Problems of Novice users
    • The activation page malfunctions, and does not list the new station. Instead it throws user to another page which asks user to SSH and issue a Linux command. A large number of users are not familiar with Linux and command-line. They don't know how to SSH. They also don't know how to copy-paste command, so they type the command, make all sorts of typing mistakes, and fail to activate.

• Even if someone succeed to SSH and copy-paste their bash command, it often fails due to GPG key problem.

• After lot of struggle and multiple attempts, if someone succeeds in adding email, feeder key, and other details to the PI24 image, it fails to save the feeder key in the file /etc/fr24feed.ini, and activation fails. The reason is that PI24's file system often gets mounted as read-only. Reboot does not solve the problem.
      The solution is to first issue command sudo mount -o remount,rw / then issue the command fr24feed --signup.

• The Pi24 image serves a darkened Google map with water marks "for development only" at IP-of-PI/dump1090/gmap.html. Reason is that it uses an outdated version (1.14) of dump1090-mutability. Solution here:

PI24: Replace dump1090 v1.14 -> pre-build package of dump1090 v1.15

Leave a comment:

• Anmer
    replied
    Originally posted by LN-MOW View Post
    Are you just using the SBS for local viewing?
    If this question's for me the answer is "Yes". BaseStation is my map/list GUI of choice. I don't share my SBS data with anyone - now.

I have dedicated feeders for FlightAware and FR24 plus a couple of RPis as well. My AirNav RadarBox is "in a box", out of sight.

I'm not (normally) interested in flights outside my local area. But I value the free FR24 Business and FlightAware's Enterprise accounts as aids to my local tracking.

Leave a comment:

• LN-MOW
    replied
    I find the Rpi a lot more convenient than having to run a laptop 24/7 .. so I’m happy for the change. But as others, the lack of interest by FR24 to facilitate their users by keeping their image and signup software updated, amazes me.

Are you just using the SBS for local viewing?

Leave a comment:

• Anmer
    replied
    Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    SBS is just a pain, no matter the sd-card image.
    Those of us with SBS receivers would disagree. The only "pain" is using it to feed FR24.

It's still one of the most reliable Mode-S receivers ever made and, in my opinion, has the most customisable user interface - BaseStation.
    My SBS is still working flawlessly, 14 years since I bought it.

Leave a comment:

• Traveller
    replied
    Yes, all is good now, but ever so tiresome. There must be a way for FR24 to sell a SD card to suit DVB-T stick etc, all nicely preloaded.... anyways I don't wish to waste people's time. Thanks to all

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    SBS is just a pain, no matter the sd-card image.

I assume you have a rtl-sdr compatible DVB-T stick now?
    Have you tried using a piaware sd-card and install fr24feed on top?

It will involve some use of the console, but i would encourage you to give it another try.

Leave a comment:

• Traveller
    replied
    Anmer you are correct.

I had a feed in Port Moresby PNG (Windows) which was T-AYPY1, and was 90% more reliable than F-AYPY1 which was offline most of the time. And still is most unreliable. I spent heaps on SBS1, SBS3, SBS Puck, (my own choice, $1500+) and it's all useless, which is disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Anmer
    replied
    If they would get their Pi24 activation working that would be nice.
    If coverage is really needed in an area, FR24 will send out one of its receivers anyway.
    FR24 would prefer a volunteer feeder. It's less expensive and there's more chance the feed will stay online.

Those with an interest in aviation are more reliable than those who just want a free piece of kit, which may be sold.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    The key problem is the activation page, which malfunctions and instead of straight away activating a new Pi, forces user to SSH and use Linux commands.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Even with guides some people seem allergic to that or equate typing a few commands with computer science (spoiler it's not).
    The flipside is the ones who copy paste (or-retype full of errors) and instead of stopping when something looks wrong, and questioning why/taking a step or 2 back. Keep going (or search archived unrelated fixes) and make it worse

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    If they would get their Pi24 activation working that would be nice.

Even if someone made an image, it would still be hard for many people to even use the fr24feed --signup to start feeding.

Without that activation page, you need to follow one of the guides anyway and command line interaction is involved.
    Even with guides some people seem allergic to that or equate typing a few commands with computer science (spoiler it's not).

Once you have command line access, one command more or less doesn't make a difference.

If someone can't follow this abcd567s quickstart guide for the pi24 image, then feeding FR24 may be a hobby that's not for them until FR24 fixes their image activation process.
    STEP-1: Download Necessary Software 1.1 - Download PI24 image (zip) on your Desktop/Laptop Download page: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own Direct download link: https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/...latest.img.zip (https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_images/fr24-raspberry-pi-latest.img.zip) 1.2 - Download

If coverage is really needed in an area, FR24 will send out one of its receivers anyway.

I'm curious, do you connect a keyboard and monitor to your RPi?
    That eliminates the Finding IP / Putty portion of abcd567s guide.
    The commands that follow can just as well be entered locally.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-28, 08:55.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    I suspect Visual C++/Windows skilled programmers to port any changes no doubt cost more to retain

Mix that with..

NTP/Timestamping not so easy to over-ride on windows (MLAT requirement)

Constant drivers for DVBT etc being over-written every update

Majority of windows users were likely not DVBT stick, but rather legacy Beast/SBS
    The SBS with their own proprietary requirements for software middle-ware and non standard output to skirt around with FW changes

It is likely easier to get staff to focus on a single platform and preferred device than workout the multitude of windows scenarios.

Leave a comment:

• Traveller
    replied
    Anmer,

That's a good idea.

However I would like to ask a technical question? What exactly was wrong with Windows feed? that all of a sudden made it redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Anmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Traveller View Post
    It's a minefield, it's complex, so how about one of you guy's programme an SD card to handle Raspberry Pi and sell them?
    Why doesn't FR24 offer a downloadable, total image just like its major competitor? Or even a number of images with different options such as multiple feeds and/or local traffic maps?
    Last edited by Anmer; 2019-07-28, 07:40.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X