Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Start of my RPi journey

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    I am wondering why you have a much higher CPU utlization with less messages. Which Pi are you using and did you adjust gain level?
    I'm using RasPi 2 B v1.1 which is older than yours, you're on RasPi 3 right?
    I got gain set to -10 (auto gain) with homemade antenna and cheap dongle from China, I'm thinking of upgrading my dump1090 v1.15 to dump1090-fa apparently no big difference but people on dump1090-fa seems to get more messages. I didn't invest in my kit much money. RasPi and dongle cost me aprox. 12 euro in total. I've made an antenna myself and used old charger from my phone(5V 2A)

I have two Pis. On one I have dump1090-mutability ver 1.15, on the other I have dump1090-fa. I dont find any difference in performance due to this. The difference in performance comes with antenna location, antenna, amplifier, coax, filter etc.

The main difference between v1.15 & fa is appearance. The dump-mutab v1.15 looks like a house wife, dump-fa looks like a fashion model

Quote Originally Posted by matysldn View Post
    I'm using RasPi 2 B v1.1 which is older than yours, you're on RasPi 3 right?
    I got gain set to -10 (auto gain) with homemade antenna and cheap dongle from China, I'm thinking of upgrading my dump1090 v1.15 to dump1090-fa apparently no big difference but people on dump1090-fa seems to get more messages. I didn't invest in my kit much money. RasPi and dongle cost me aprox. 12 euro in total. I've made an antenna myself and used old charger from my phone(5V 2A)
    Yes, i am on a 3 B. Could be a reason.

-10 is AGC mode which let the device of the dongle run on full speed. You might need to check if this is the best setting for your environment.

Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    I have two Pis. On one I have dump1090-mutability ver 1.15, on the other I have dump1090-fa. I dont find any difference in performance due to this. The difference in performance comes with antenna location, antenna, amplifier, coax, filter etc.

The main difference between v1.15 & fa is appearance. The dump-mutab v1.15 looks like a house wife, dump-fa looks like a fashion model
    And to make it more unique, you could also use dump-fa with the customized interfaces (tar and retro) from wiedehopf. Especially the last one turns the fashion model back into the house wife style. :-)

Purser
    The temps you seem to be getting are not that 'high', and lower than I would have thought. I suppose the CPU is not working that hard. The info you both provide indicate my little Raspberrry may survive ok. I went ahead with the fan shim product. So, if it does get too hot, at least the processor will get cooled down.

Just advised by the only seller of the FlightAware Pro Stick Plus Blue Receiver, will not be shipped until second week of October because they have gone on holiday for the month. With money conversions and freight, not worth buying overseas, as their delivery dates are also in October some time. I wonder if those cheap Chinese dongles work in a reasonable fashion?

I saw the link for the fan controller last week, which is what started my journey for fan controllers. Gives me time I guess for building an antenna.
    Last edited by POR911; 2019-09-18 at 13:08. Reason: Later thought

Passenger
    I've got Chinese from aliexpres for let than 6 dollars, reasonably good, especially for that price. Look at my stats above. Obviously you can't compare this to Pro Stick Plus, but for beginning why not ?? I just don't know if that(buy Chinese) way will be quicker for you?

Quote Originally Posted by POR911 View Post
    I wonder if those cheap Chinese dongles work in a reasonable fashion?
    They work, or they wont. But these are nothing special. Some manufactures are just "creative" in boxing and naming their devices.
    Be aware that they normally do not have any filter of amplifier built in, so significant lower performance compared to the blue FA stick.

If using such a "generic" device, you might also need an LNA and a Filter which will increase your cost again.

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by matysldn View Post
    I've got Chinese from aliexpres for let than 6 dollars, reasonably good, especially for that price. Look at my stats above. Obviously you can't compare this to Pro Stick Plus, but for beginning why not ?? I just don't know if that(buy Chinese) way will be quicker for you?
    Matysldn, I looked at their site....many choices. Which one did you get. And agree Magum, the cheap Chinese sticks may or may not work. For the time being, I am just trying to get onto the FR feed system. I can then improve. I will soon have my RPi, and will be itching to get setup.

Looks like I need a fair bit of homework studying abcd567 and others like wiedehopf posts to get my antenna built and working and feed scripts set up. At this stage, I will stay initially with FR feed, and may expand as experience picks up. For an old sod, quite exciting....

Purser
    OK, I answered my own question. I looked at the Aliexpress site a bit better and worked out the two items I would need. The blue DVB T-FM-DAB 820T2 dongle, and 1090MHz line filter would cost approx. AUD$29.00 delivered and would not arrive for another 30-40 days. The FlightAware Pro Stick Plus Blue Receiver will cost me AUD$53.20 delivered and arrive about the same time. The cost increase is AUD$24.00. Looking at the big picture, the FR24 feed price per annum credit will more than recoup the costs of the better receiver.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by POR911 View Post
    OK, I answered my own question. I looked at the Aliexpress site a bit better and worked out the two items I would need. The blue DVB T-FM-DAB 820T2 dongle, and 1090MHz line filter would cost approx. AUD$29.00 delivered and would not arrive for another 30-40 days. The FlightAware Pro Stick Plus Blue Receiver will cost me AUD$53.20 delivered and arrive about the same time. The cost increase is AUD$24.00. Looking at the big picture, the FR24 feed price per annum credit will more than recoup the costs of the better receiver.
    You are living at the end of the world so everything will take some time to arrive You better wait and order Pro stick plus otherwise you will end up with $53 plus $24 and still not sure if Chinese will work for you.

I've got this:
    Link - not sure if link will work for you