Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADS-B aircraft now only reported as MLAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADS-B aircraft now only reported as MLAT?

Hi! Any idea why an aircraft (SE-VPF) with ADSB-out, that before has been perfectly tracked and displayed as ADSB, now shows up - very poorly - as MLAT? And simultaneously is tracked on f.ex. FA and ADSBX with 100% coverage, as ADS-B?

Originally posted by hansp View Post
    Hi! Any idea why an aircraft (SE-VPF) with ADSB-out, that before has been perfectly tracked and displayed as ADSB, now shows up - very poorly - as MLAT? And simultaneously is tracked on f.ex. FA and ADSBX with 100% coverage, as ADS-B?
    Feeders in your area have disconnected their service, is the most likely explanation.
    Editor

Comment

I don´t buy that. 2 of my 4 feeders in the region are temporarily out of service, the other 2 are updated and configured correctly. And on the airfield there is a F-feeder up and running. And also other services report the aircraft correctly. If there is some setting that needs to be changed in the FR24feed-settings I´d like to know. None are using MLAT as FR24 requests since they also feed other services.

Comment

I don´t buy that. 2 of my 4 feeders in the region are temporarily out of service, the other 2 are updated and configured correctly. And on the airfield there is a F-feeder up and running. And also other services report the aircraft correctly. If there is some setting that needs to be changed in the FR24feed-settings I´d like to know. None are using MLAT as FR24 requests since they also feed other services.
        support@fr24.com
        Editor

Comment

Originally posted by user12345 View Post
          We did and got a nonsense reply about coverage in the area, filtering on the website etc. The issue is still the same as in the first post. There is nothing wrong with the data sent to FR24, there is something wrong with how this particular aircraft is handled.

Comment

We did and got a nonsense reply about coverage in the area, filtering on the website etc. The issue is still the same as in the first post. There is nothing wrong with the data sent to FR24, there is something wrong with how this particular aircraft is handled.
            If you read the old threads you'll see there were a lot of disgruntled feeders after FRs decision to terminate MLAT feeds. Rather than disable MLAT which would impact all the other tracking sites they also feed to, many chose to simply remove the feed to FR and contined to feed MLAT to the other tracking sites. I have just checked the plane in question on other tracking sites and it is showing perfectly there with no gaps in its flight paths around the Kristianstad airstrip so it appears to be a 'lack of feeders' issue.

If you delve even deeper into the old messages you'll see that FR has some quirky ways of displaying the data from the feeder sites too. Before they removed the feeder ID tags you could see whose feed was showing each plane on the map. Some feeders reported having their receiver right next to the airfield with clear unimpeded views for 200 miles in every direction, but FR would be showing the planes from a receiver 50 miles away in the bottom of a valley, meaning that planes on final approach would stop tracking in mid-air at 2000 ft. There seems to be some sort of internal feeder rank list for each area, and so it doesn't matter if your receiver is situated at the airfield, it will choose to display data from the receivers with the higher rankings.

I believe Oblivian has better insights into this so may be able to chime in with his thoughts, but I doubt you'll ever see any change here.
            Editor

Comment

Thanks for replying to this in length. However, it is still an ADS-B aircraft so MLAT coverage does not apply. Have a look at a similar aircraft landing at the same airport on the same time VPF was active, also with ADS-B (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...e-vuz#330ee1f4) and how it is reported. I find no technical reason why VPF should not be displayed in the same way unless there is a reason for FR24 to filter it out but I guess I´ll never find out.

Comment

I have the same issue as Hansp. FR24 filters out ADS-B on our particular aircraft.

Since 2-3 months ago our ADS-B aircraft (SE-XTF) has started showing up as M-LAT on FR24.

Other ADS-B equipped aircraft flying in the same area at the same time show up as ADS-B on FR24
                Our aircraft shows 100% ADS-B coverage on other tracking sites like adsbexchange​

Here is an example from today 11:13 UTC comparing FR24 with ADSBexchange.

FR24: SE-XTF shows as MLAT while surrounding aircraft in the same area and altitude shows as ADS-B
                FR24.png

ADSBexchange: All aircraft including SE-XTF shows as ADS-B
                ADSBex.png

Last edited by Svedan; 2024-02-18, 17:51.

Comment

I see that it is also discussed on EuroGA here. So the problem seems to be not only Sweden. I have basically given up since support does not be able - or have interest - to support on issues that might be feeder-related. I guess the money is in the big planes for passengers to be able to see if their flight from major airports are delayed. A shame really. To be honest both FA and RB have far better representation of small aircraft if you want a fancy graphical interface. I still have an outstanding problem with my own aircraft specifically on both those services but that's another story.

Comment

Working...
                  X