Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS altitude for flight over Gulf of Maine in the 1st minute of March 14, 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS altitude for flight over Gulf of Maine in the 1st minute of March 14, 2020?

Hi, I've got what must be a very unusual question. Did anyone screencap GPS & calibrated altitudes for flights around the Gulf of Maine between Cape Code & Nova Scotia around midnight of the 13th of March, 2020?

I filmed a jet far away on that night (209 miles) crossing the moon at an altitude that does not match the altitude of any aircraft near the moon's azimuth on FR24 that night -- as seen in the CSV files I downloaded. One plane, closest to the moon's azimuth, is a good candidate and takes exactly the right amount of time to cross, but it's too low on the moon for the "calibrated" (pressure) altitude FR24 reports in their CSV files. What I need is a record of the GPS altitude, which is compliant with the WGS84 GIS standard. Pressure altitude & GPS altitude usually differ somewhat, because pressure altitude is based on a standard atmosphere assumption & the "lapse rate" of atmospheric pressure with altitude varies from day to day, varies from the standard atmosphere model. If lapse rate was higher on that night out over the Gulf of Maine, well, the pressure would be lower for a given GPS altitude & so the plane would be flying lower than its posted calibrated altitude.

And that's the atmospheric condition that would account for that crossing I saw: higher lapse rate; & so, more directly, GPS Altitude lower than posted Calibrated Altitude.

Hence my unusual question, presented here.

Lacking screen caps myself of jets on FlightRadar24 from that night that would show me jets' GPS altitudes, I am quite fundamentally out of luck for the purpose of being certain that the jet I saw crossing was the jet I think it was, at the distance I think it was away from me. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

I would have posted quite some months ago, too, but there was an oddball problem with my FlightRadar24 Forums account (now resolved).

Wave_in_the_Air

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

You also need a 4-8s offset of time for positional data too.

Clients (at least believe they still do) upload in bulk rather than realtime UDP like some of the others. And the server then unpacks and quantifies it before display. If you are ever beside an airport that becomes more evident
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thank you! That helps add a little detail to my analysis. There was a small lateral offset for the 209-mile-away moon-crossing candidate.
      I think it might not be enough to put the other three jets into the picture, quite.
      I sure do wish FR24 spun those GPS altitudes into their CSV files!

Comment

Working...
      X