Thread: Collinear Questions.....

Passenger

Collinear Questions.....

At the moment my antenna is indoors, but I'm planning to put it outside......2 questions, firstly if I put it inside a piece of plastic overflow pipe for protection, the range seems to be almost halved even with the antenna in the same spot....any ideas? Also, I already have a homebase cb antenna outside, how close can I put the collinear, if I use a 90 degree pole from the upright wall mounted pole used for the cb?
    Ta......Jon.......

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by GBHgpJON View Post
    At the moment my antenna is indoors, but I'm planning to put it outside......2 questions, firstly if I put it inside a piece of plastic overflow pipe for protection, the range seems to be almost halved even with the antenna in the same spot....any ideas? Also, I already have a homebase cb antenna outside, how close can I put the collinear, if I use a 90 degree pole from the upright wall mounted pole used for the cb?
    Ta......Jon.......
    The plastic that your overflow pipe is made from probably has carbon or metallic fillers, try cutting a small section off and putting it in the microwave for 30 seconds (stand a small glass of water in there too to prevent any damage to your microwave) if the pipe gets warm (even a little bit) it is not suitable for RF.
    Some white pipes are ok, but commercial antennas use glass fibre tubes.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Passenger
    Cheers for that, judging by the lack of range, I guess its not suitable. Useful information, thanks .........off to peruse the internet for glass fibre tube!