Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pointing to sky to ident a plane

Passenger

pointing to sky to ident a plane

what needs to be activated ,beside having app running to make the point to sky feature work ?

Super Moderator
    A phone with both GPS (current postion) and accurate compas (direction/azmuth)
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Super Moderator
    And of course for it to be fully identified on the web page also. If its position is unknown, it won't appear. Still a large proportion do not broadcast full information in some countries/aircraft sizes.

Have discovered a lot of tablets do not come with a compass (silly) which has caught people out
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

First officer
    What is "point to sky" any links with more info? Sounds very interesting.

Super Moderator
    Click the binoculars top right on the app

First officer
    Sorry, I have no idea what you mean, but I have visions of tracking cameras on top of antennas. i.e. if two cameras are separated by a significant distance and capture the same aircraft at the same time, if the coordinates of the cameras and the angles of the camera are known, you could conceivably derive an exact location of the aircraft.

It would be like a gigantic set of eyes.

Super Moderator
    Its VR using your camera to what is around.

There are screenshots in the app homes. And the binoculars are how its activated

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ar24free&hl=en

First officer
    Thanks for that link.
    I was wondering about this part though:
    HTML Code:
    Flightradar24 Free features include:
    * Identify any aircraft flying overhead with Augmented Reality view
    Does that include the normally Barr blocked traffic?

There is a lot of traffic in my area right now due to the Super Bowl and see a lot of traffic on VR that doesn't appear on FR24.
    Also, as usual KSJC-18 and KSJC-12 are still leaking major MLAT data to FR24 and continue to inhibit the legitimate MLAT sources.

I was watching your area in NZ and noticed that you don't seem to have that problem and your area has a lot of very good quality MLAT radar sources.

Super Moderator
    No. VR=AR

And if you have the limit set to 300nm. You wont see them with your tiny camera. But the labels will appear

First officer
    On the camera thing, I was thinking for aircraft that are flying within about 10K feet of my house, which they often do. It might make a great augmentation to MLAT.

BTW there is a lot of homeland security and secret aircraft in the area. One of them seemed to circle my house for awhile. I wonder if they picked up on my FR24 wifi feed? I have the pi very close to the antenna and connected via wifi. Nobody called though .