No announcement yet.

Oblivians grumpiness apology. Sort of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivians grumpiness apology. Sort of.

I've just been reading a bunch of posts on the FA forums (I don't partake so much there but they do get my data by means of via PlanePlotter network) to see a whole lot of references from users who no longer wish to partake here, tending toward attitude of FR24 forum members, how grumpy their 'SuperMod' is against new users. And how much of a 'Douche' the "higher ups" appear.

I can only but surmise that is in reference to me since I jabber so much compared to most users.

So to anyone finding my replies have fixed issues in the past, who have not bothered to say thanks. You're welcome.

To anyone I've offended by thinking I was too harsh, or abrupt - I appologise.

In reality most of the time where I've been brash and pointed in the direction of an existing post or thread, it is usually in frustration. It's fairly normal for new users to be slammed straight to the forum announcement " !Important: You must read this before you post on forum!" with a bunch of common links and instructions on search for those unfamiliar.

And of those, many are 'sticky' in an attempt to help.

When you monitor the online users for new spam accts being created you can often see this process lasting all of 15seconds before it changes to 'creating thread'. So you can imagine my forehead slapping-ness at times coming through in text.

Anyway. I spent some of my holiday time creating an attempt at a feeder help guide, and a suggestions thread. But so far noone other than 1 user has responded (good or bad).. so I can only but guess it answers everything everyone experienced during their setup processes...?

Please take into account any input I do offer, is just from another uploaders own back and time before judging the community as a whole publicly elsewhere.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Hi Oblivian

I think your are doing a great job. You help guide is a long overdue (not on your part) improvement.

My own grumpy statement: I think the FR24 management is paying fare to little attention to communication with the feeders. It is inconsistent and fare between. As and example we have at least three different instructions on how to get a Raspberry Pi up and running, and on top of that two or three threads giving hints on specific problems.

It would be nice to have upgrades and other features (and problems) announced. Maybe a bi-monthly news-mail. I strongly believe a tighter relationsship with feeders would minimize the turnover and help find quality hosts for F-feeders. Many feel neglected and drop out and in fact only a minority find their way to the forum. Just have a look at how many are still 'Anonymous' on the ranking list. People are simply not aware of the list or the possibility to have their name on it.

Well this rant was not aimed at you, Oblivian. Just had to let out some steem.

New forum users may come in less or stronger flavors of lazyness, but still after a few years I find it hard to find information that I know I have seen before. Maybe beside working on your help guide, you should consider closing down some of the threads, like the "Beta test new Flightradar24 MLAT software for Raspberry Pi" and consolidate.
    Still I agree that it is annoying when people clearly have not read anything in here before asking a question.

Comment

I closed the older and un-stickied the windows/OSX and 2nd Rpi thread recently to save a bit. The latest one is more cross-platform relevant really now that the feeder has aged a little.

Didn't want to go renaming too much as theres various links that would then fail. But have tried to update a few of the in-your-face first seen posts to point to the better areas to check.

Have considered a bit of consolidating. But its on a scale worse than search... I'd need to go through every post plucking out bits to make sure search overlooked irrelevant bits.. not terribly keen just yet

I actually only discovered the pre-compiled Pi image version on the main website today which was an eye opener. But making assumption its automating what most of us have since setup anyway.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

And in fairness, its good to see a bit more action out of a couple of those linked with the dev team around the place

Just happens I often get to posts first given my timezone (and lack of sleep) in relation to the US and mid eropean market

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
          I've just been reading a bunch of posts on the FA forums (I don't partake so much there but they do get my data by means of via PlanePlotter network) to see a whole lot of references from users who no longer wish to partake here, tending toward attitude of FR24 forum members, how grumpy their 'SuperMod' is against new users. And how much of a 'Douche' the "higher ups" appear.
          I have an ID there too but I don't post, just read. There are some serious losers on that board who seem to have learnt their manners from spending way too much time on social media. Keep up your contributions - you can never please all the people all the time. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X