Few questions for a new user.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions for a new user.

Just curious what the actual delay is from the aircraft being in a certain spot to seeing it on fr24's screen.

I just received my R820T2 and I have it 5 miles west of KPBI. I'll be feeding to fr24 if I can get it up and running. It's already receiving aircraft about 20-60 NM from the stock antenna inside my room looking north. I plan on getting the flightaware antenna with filter and putting it outside the house near my man-cave window on the 2nd floor if I can figure out how to feed the wire to it lol. I feel like I should be getting MUCH better range. I'll be busy on that side of the forum soon too I guess.

also, I found a map that shows where the feeders are (can't link w so few posts) I don't see anything near me (5 miles W of KPBI) for a feeder. Hopefully I can broaden this area, but is there a point to it since the airport seems to be a feeder (I think)?

Delay is 5-10 seconds. Closer to 5. MLAT is different story.
    Outdoor antenna wil give you better range for sure, But you must have in mind that view has to be unobstructed.
    All maps are outdated. There is no up-to-date and correct map of feeders.
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

I like watching KSFO ground traffic while listening to the tower on LiveAtc.net. ATC issues an instruction, I see A/C react immediately. Guess it depends on size of airport, number of local feeders, obstacles like buildings, etc. But there is little if any delay, in this particular instance.
      F-KDAG1

Comment

Live atc has delay too. Depending of latency and kbps used by feeder up to 30 seconds on 64kbps or less

From tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
          Delay is 5-10 seconds. Closer to 5. MLAT is different story.
          Outdoor antenna wil give you better range for sure, But you must have in mind that view has to be unobstructed.
          All maps are outdated. There is no up-to-date and correct map of feeders.
          It's going to have little bit of obstruction unfortunately. North will be rather clear, but south will have the house and some shrubbery. I don't wanna go too crazy because I'll be violating HOA codes by having the antenna out front already.

Comment

Your range in obstruction directions will be limited unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
              Your range in obstruction directions will be limited unfortunately.
              Yeah... no way around it. I'm not going to put up a 60 foot mast in my backyard either. lol..

if I have a high gain antenna that's outside with forward facing no obstruction, it'll fair better compared to this inside the room generic antenna I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
              X