Starting up, advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up, advice needed.

Greetings, FlightRadar24 community. I am completely new to tracking hardware, and I am looking for some help to set up an ADS-B antenna and feed its findings to FR24. I have a shopping list that I'd like to link, but apparently I shouldn't do that with less than 3 posts.
    So, you get full text instead!

My shopping list currently has:
    A Raspberry Pi 2.
    A 1090Mhz ADS-B antenna.
    A DVB-T USB stick. (comes with its own antenna)

I'm missing things here, without a doubt. I hope you can tell me what all is missing.
    A few questions:
    I've read that regular coax cables are not good for this purpose? or does it not make any difference?
    The ADS-B antenna uses coax, but where am I supposed to connect that to? The Raspberry Pi 2 doesn't have any coax input.
    Will I need the antenna bundled with the DVB-T stick?

I hope this isn't too much of a hassle. As long as I can at least get my shopping list completed, I can kind of figure out what goes where on my own.
    Thanks for reading!

Satillite or DVB-T (tv aerial coax) is OK to use as long as you aren't doing long runs. If you scroll down to the bottom of this wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable and look at how much loss there is over the length of the cable (right hand side of table) they do it over a 100ft so as you get shorter your losses get less .A good cable is nice to have but not necesary if you keep things short.

The COAX goes onto the TV dongle and you may need an adaptor depending on what connectors you have on the coax, i personally would mount the pi in a box as close to the aerial as possible for best results.
    T-EGLF8

Comment

Working...
    X