Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving distance data from FR24 Reciever for non mode-S transponders

Hello,

I am a member of a flying club at our local aiport (LKBU) and I would like to convince my colleagues to apply for a free FR24 reciever that we would be able to install on top of our tower. The reception should be great because the tower is about 10 meters high and the aiport itself has relatively high altitude compared to the surrounding areas, so we have very good full horizon view.

I think I can be more successfull in convincing them, If we could utilize the FR24 receiver for some club-related purposes. My idea was, that it could be a good aid for our AFIS dispatcher on duty, If we would be able to view transponder information of nearby traffic even if it does not provide location. I know that when enough FR24 recievers register an aircraft, the website can display multilaterated position, but this does not guarantee seing an aircraft.

Is there a way, how to access the FR24 receiver and get a list of all nearby (non ADS-B) transponders, with their available information and distance from reciever obtained from TDOA calculation?

By using this the AFIS dispatcher can have a better overview of the local traffic and possiby see aircrafts that entered the ATZ and haven't contacted the tower.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by -ag-; 2015-12-19, 12:06.

The signal/ping transmitted by the aircraft does not contain any timestamp so it's not possible to do a distance calculation from one receiver only.
    The decoded ModeS/ADS-B data is available on a port from the FR24 receiver if you want to build some kind of own tool with the data. Mode A/C data is not processed at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by -ag- View Post
      Hello,

Is there a way, how to access the FR24 receiver and get a list of all nearby (mostly non mode S) transponders, with their available information and distance from reciever obtained from TOA calculation?

By using this the AFIS dispatcher can have a better overview of the local traffic and possiby see aircrafts that entered the ATZ and haven't contacted the tower.

Thanks for the replies.
      You can run VRS server to see all the local data in a list form, however there is no way to get the range unless there are enough local stations for multilateration, a single station cannot get the range, also the accuracy of a multilateration fix would probably not be good enough for your use, depending on the accuracy of the other stations it can be off by 1-2km and quite often jumps about, in most areas there are not enough ground stations to get a fix at lower levels.
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Working...
      X