No announcement yet.

strange radar down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I see so far from the posted logs, it's some major issue within systemd in some linux distributions. Not very clear what's going on, and I can't reproduce it.
    In general, it has nothing to do with fr24feed itself. If you do any other updates - it shall fail as well.
    The reason why you spot it particularly with fr24feed is that auto-update script tries to access APT tools once per day and it leads to failures and it can't even restart the fr24feed back.

Googling different solutions for that I have not found much, but some people report that after rebooting the system, the issue goes away: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....12207#p1412207

Obviously, you guys want to know when updates are released and what is included. What would be the most convenient way for you to receive that information? On the web site? RSS? Emails? Something else?

Erik12345, your posts are approved now.

Comment

My feed stopped again at 6 utc this morning ...

Comment

My history log shows 3 failed installs in a row. These are initiated by the /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh script which is run every day.

I was able to manually install the update, and the updater script now runs correctly. This runs an apt-get update command and exits when the new version matches the installed version. The new version is installed if the version check fails and this is the command that falls over (apt-get install -y fr24feed).

Start-Date: 2015-12-16 07:01:57
        Commandline: apt-get install -y fr24feed
        Upgrade: fr24feed:armhf (1.0.14-11, 1.0.16-7)
        Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
        End-Date: 2015-12-16 07:01:57

Start-Date: 2015-12-17 07:01:23
        End-Date: 2015-12-17 07:01:23

Start-Date: 2015-12-18 07:01:54
        End-Date: 2015-12-18 07:01:54

Comment

Originally posted by vinnyspb View Post
          From what I see so far from the posted logs, it's some major issue within systemd in some linux distributions. Not very clear what's going on, and I can't reproduce it.
          In general, it has nothing to do with fr24feed itself. If you do any other updates - it shall fail as well.
          The reason why you spot it particularly with fr24feed is that auto-update script tries to access APT tools once per day and it leads to failures and it can't even restart the fr24feed back.

Googling different solutions for that I have not found much, but some people report that after rebooting the system, the issue goes away: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....12207#p1412207

Obviously, you guys want to know when updates are released and what is included. What would be the most convenient way for you to receive that information? On the web site? RSS? Emails? Something else?

Erik12345, your posts are approved now.
          A mailing list to which we could subscribe would be nice. And in addition, a sticky post at the beginning of this forum would be helpful.
          And I still don't know how to check the current version of my feeder. Is it possible?

Patrick
          Last edited by patrick1501; 2015-12-18, 13:15.
          T-LFSN4

Check your rank from FR24 feeder stats at https://jollain.com/FR24/stats.php

Comment

$ fr24feed --version
            1.0.16-7

Comment

$ fr24feed --version
              1.0.16-7
              That was simple, thanks!
              T-LFSN4

Comment

pellonet, Erik12345, patrick1501,
                which OS (name, version) are you guys using?

patrick1501,
                output is definitely welcome!
                Raspbian, Jessie

after the 3rd. fail I stopped the service, ran sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade, all went through fine & this morning there was no 0700 fail with my stats now showing continuous feeding. I guess this rather points to the script running as a Cron job needing investigation.

Comment

Who owns your /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater? Mine was owned by pi/pi. Maybe should be owned by root/root?
                  Changed mine and I don't get WRONG FILE OWNER messages in syslog.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemistry View Post
                    Who owns your /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater? Mine was owned by pi/pi. Maybe should be owned by root/root?
                    Changed mine and I don't get WRONG FILE OWNER messages in syslog.
                    How can I know?

I got my RPi only to feed FR24 and use it for nothing else. I have no knowledge fof Linux except for the few commands in the FR2 installation guide. If things do not work, I'm lost.
                    The FR24 RPI combo is promoted as plug and play, and while I highly appreciate all the knowledge the is shared by users on the forum, I'm often unable to follow the lingo.

I understand that others cannot be asked to provide a beginners course to Linux, but when some specific action is suggested it would help to have the exact commands needed.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
                      How can I know?

I got my RPi only to feed FR24 and use it for nothing else. I have no knowledge fof Linux except for the few commands in the FR2 installation guide. If things do not work, I'm lost.
                      The FR24 RPI combo is promoted as plug and play, and while I highly appreciate all the knowledge the is shared by users on the forum, I'm often unable to follow the lingo.

I understand that others cannot be asked to provide a beginners course to Linux, but when some specific action is suggested it would help to have the exact commands needed.

Thanks
                      Type the following command:
                      Code:
                      ls -al /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater
                      it will give you an output like this one:
                      Code:
                      -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 50 Dec 14 09:17 /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater
                      The "pi pi" info on this line means that the file is owned by the user "pi" of the group "pi".

Patrick
                      T-LFSN4

Comment

My RasPi setup suffered the same symptoms in that the FR24 feed failed every morning since 15th December at around 7:00 UTC.

Having read some of the advice in this thread, yesterday after the fourth successive daily failure I manually ran the fr24feed_updater script.

This appears to have been successful and the running version went from 1.0.14-11 to 1.0.16-7.

This morning the FR24 feed survived the 07:00 UTC period, so it appears that this has fixed the problem.

Martin

Comment

Sorry Kpin, but my questions in post #38 were not proposing a solution. After I had done the manual update, it is hard to debug the problem and I was only asking others to see if they found a similar situation (ie wrong file owner in log files) that may have caused the problem. If a feeder does not understand linux it is usually better to wait till others discuss it and then till a solution is posted.
                          I have found a number of sites that say that /etc/cron.d scripts must be owned by root and that specifying the user as root within the crontab may not be enough (probably depends on your distro).
                          I think patrick1501 may have found the same crontab file ownership (pi/pi) that I found but I am unclear if he was able to correct it and fix his updating. If he has done a manual update (like me) we won’t know until the next update comes through. Without changing ownerships, the cron process still gives lots of error messages (WRONG FILE OWNER) in the syslog file which may be a symptom of cron failure for the updater.
                          Please only try the following if you have NOT done a manual update and are Linux confident because I am not sure that it solves the problem.
                          I think it is safe to try one or both of (1) changing ownership of crontab file and (2) the script file it trys to execute at 7:00 local time:
                          Code:
                          sudo chown root:root /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater
                          sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh
                          I hope this does not cause any other problems but if you understand Linux it can be reversed if it does not work.
                          Good luck - please post any results.

Oops - I forgot to mention that a sudo reboot (or touch of cron.d) is necessary to activate the cron changes.
                          Last edited by Kemistry; 2015-12-19, 12:28. Reason: update instructions

Comment

This morning my RPI failed for the 5th day at 7:00 local time.
                            The /var/log/apt/history.log shows the following:

Start-Date: 2015-12-16 07:01:00
                            End-Date: 2015-12-16 07:01:07

Start-Date: 2015-12-17 07:01:13
                            End-Date: 2015-12-17 07:01:13

Start-Date: 2015-12-18 07:01:54
                            End-Date: 2015-12-18 07:01:55

Start-Date: 2015-12-19 07:01:00
                            End-Date: 2015-12-19 07:01:00

The owner of fr24feed_updater in my RPI was root already, so I change nothing.
                            I have just run the "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" commands. Let's see what happens tomorrow morning.

Comment

Thanks atairlines.
                              Can you please confirm that for you BOTH /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater AND /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh are owned by root and not by pi?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemistry View Post
                                Thanks atairlines.
                                Can you please confirm that for you BOTH /etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater AND /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh are owned by root and not by pi?
                                In my previously failed auto-updates which I cured with a manual update/upgrade:

/etc/cron.d/fr24feed_updater - owned by pi
                                /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh - owned by pi

Code:
                                Last login: Sat Dec 19 02:44:13 2015 from 192.168.1.66
                                pi@RPHS ~ $ ls -l /etc/cron.d
                                total 4
                                -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 50 Dec 14 08:17 fr24feed_updater
                                pi@RPHS ~ $ ls -l /usr/lib/fr24
                                total 248
                                -rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 161689 Dec 14 13:15 dump1090
                                -rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi    819 Dec 14 08:17 fr24feed_updater.sh
                                lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi     14 Dec 14 13:15 librtlsdr.so -> librtlsdr.so.0
                                lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi     19 Dec 14 13:15 librtlsdr.so.0 -> librtlsdr.so.0.5git
                                -rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi  81340 Dec 14 13:15 librtlsdr.so.0.5git
                                drwxr-xr-x 3 pi pi   4096 Dec 17 18:36 public_html
                                pi@RPHS ~ $
                                Last edited by pellonet; 2015-12-19, 17:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X