Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna type

Hello..
    Guys whats the brand/antenna type/name of the antenna that flightradar24 provide?

Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received the FlightAware antenna from Amazon. Initial testing shows that my homemade 8 leg spider antenna is a bit better, regardless of price. It is not as pretty, nor as sturdy, so the search continues.

Comment

F1Rocket to bad to hear that, have you tried the dpd antenna? I just placed an order for one.

Comment

No, I am trying the home-brew varieties first. Being new to this, I am trying not to throw money at antennas that don't always do the expected job. Of course YMMV and hope you report back with results.

Comment

I have purchased a Flightaware antenna from Amazon. When put on trial and compred with my home made Cantenna, the FA antenna performed less than Cantenna. I still cannot attribute this to FA antenna and suspecting N-to-F adapter or F connectors of RG6 coax. I have ordered a new N-to-F connector as well as N-to-MCX pigtail. These are expected to arrive by mid March from China. Only after that I will be able to tell with certainity why FA antenna performs less than Cantenna.

Trial run of FA Antenna vs Cantenna

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-02-12, 02:29.

Comment

Return it if not satisfied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skyspotter View Post
              Return it if not satisfied.
              I have not yet determined where the problem lies. It may be FA antenna, or it may be in other components of the system like connectors/adapters or coax. I am waiting for delivery of new N-to-F adapters & N-to-MCX pigtail. Once I get these, I will start process of elimination to find where the problem lies. It is unfair to blame FA Antenna without thorough & proper investigation.

Comment

so what happen? wich one works better?

im waiting the pigtail connectors to start making antennas.

right now i have the original antena =( i put it on the sky plate and im getting 60-70nm range

Comment

Originally posted by dedicados View Post
                  so what happen? wich one works better?

im waiting the pigtail connectors to start making antennas.

right now i have the original antena =( i put it on the sky plate and im getting 60-70nm range
                  to be honest the DPD antenna is MASSIVE!

WORKS SO GOOD!

DPD Productions has numerous antennas designed specifically for Air/Aviation communications use, shown below. There are models available for the 118-136 MHz voice air band, in both base and mobile versions. These can be utilized by an FBO, or in any type of base ops setup. They can also work as a dedicated receive ante

Comment

Originally posted by 3baid View Post
                    to be honest the DPD antenna is MASSIVE!

WORKS SO GOOD!

http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout

Well as you can se we are trying to make cheap antennas, this one you tell me doesnt see cheap

One ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna $149.95

maybe you should give us some proof, or images, maybe someone wants to try it

Comment

I will post my diagram once i come back from london sir

Comment

i reinstalled my raspberry with dump1090mu and with same antenna im getting some planes up to 100nm

aviones.png

Comment

Originally posted by dedicados View Post
                          i reinstalled my raspberry with dump1090mu and with same antenna im getting some planes up to 100nm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7551[/ATTACH]
                          You have already improved your antennajs groundplane by placing it over a metallic dish. Now improve it further by chopping its whip like shown in drawing below, and your range will increase further.

Also see this post:

Please scroll down to see the test result graphs at the bottom. (1) The three antennas under test were: (a) Coiled Whip (b) Stock Whip (c) Optimized Whip (2) In order to minimize number of variables, only the removable parts of Whips were interchanged. All other hardware, location, and software/gain settings were identical.

Comment

Awesome abcd567! i will do it today arriving home.

and about 978Mhz planes, how to get them?

Comment

978 mhz transmission is only in usa. If you are not in usa, you dont have any planes transmitting on 978 mhz.

In usa, you have to install dump978 to receive it, but traffic is very low and you get very few planes, that also after a long wait.
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2016-05-27, 14:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X