Feeders cross feeding position data from Flightaware for MLAT aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeders cross feeding position data from Flightaware for MLAT aircraft

It seems to be an increasing problem that some FR24-feeders, who also feed other networks like FlightAware are receiving MLAT position resolutions back from these networks and then feed them into Flightradar as if it was their own data received directly from the aircraft.

You will seen aircraft known as not ADS-B equipped being attributed to a specific feeder even if this cannot be the case.

Here is one example from Germany:
    T-EDDW30.JPG
    T-EDDW30 MLAT.JPG

On multible occasions I have seen T-EDDW30 attribute to aircraft I know 100 % to not be ADS-B capable.

There are multible others around the world.

The feed host may or may not be aware that they are cross feeding position data from one network to the other, and FR24 seems unable to filter the data.

Not wanting to 'name and shame' - as this may be unintentional - but if we can list the receivers as we detect them, FR24 should be able to contact the host and help them stop cross feeding.

So T-EDDW30 is first on the list.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kpin; 2015-11-01, 10:00.

Both T-YSSY51 and T-YSSY52 here in Sydney .....
    T-YSBK22

Comment

T-KBUR1 and T-KLGB4 in the Los Angeles area are feeding Flightaware MLAT data back to FR24.

Comment

Heya, I'm T-YSSY52. Stumbled across my site mentioned, had zero idea this was happening. Following steps from other threads to fix up my setup now, so I should stop funking things up shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkhon View Post
          Heya, I'm T-YSSY52. Stumbled across my site mentioned, had zero idea this was happening. Following steps from other threads to fix up my setup now, so I should stop funking things up shortly.
          Fantastic. Then we are underway to a better world . Plaease describe the solution or link to where it can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
            Fantastic. Then we are underway to a better world . Plaease describe the solution or link to where it can be found.
            I used the method written up by bhaal at forum.flightradar24.com/threads/5011-Aussie-Feeders?p=68679&viewfull=1#post68679

Update both FR24 and PiAware clients to latest/beta, then

Code:
            sudo piaware-config -mlatResultsFormat "basestation,listen,31003"
            Originally posted by bhaal
            This will stop the PA MLAT client sending MLAT positions back to dump1090 (and therefore stop it screwing everything up for fr24feed) and also allow you to add the feed MLAT position feed to VRS on port 31003.
            Apparently there's other methods, but this appears to have done the trick without breaking PiAware or its MLAT client.
            Last edited by Arkhon; 2015-11-06, 05:01.

Comment

Working...
            X