Flights eastbound from Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flights eastbound from Sydney

Just interested to know why some international flights out of Sydney i.e. Syd-Lax Syd Dfw etc take such different flightpaths within hours sometimes minutes of each other. For example A Qantas flight to to US flies direct east then northeast and a short time later a United flight will fly to the US up the coast leaving the Aust mainland near Coffs Harbour. why the big discrepancy when there is no weather to affect them on a clear day.I live in Newcastle so very rarely do I see an a380 or 777 fly over here Thanks in advance for your input.

Originally posted by felix1611 View Post
    Just interested to know why some international flights out of Sydney i.e. Syd-Lax Syd Dfw etc take such different flightpaths within hours sometimes minutes of each other. For example A Qantas flight to to US flies direct east then northeast and a short time later a United flight will fly to the US up the coast leaving the Aust mainland near Coffs Harbour. why the big discrepancy when there is no weather to affect them on a clear day.I live in Newcastle so very rarely do I see an a380 or 777 fly over here Thanks in advance for your input.
    There are many different airways available between destinations. Airways are like invisible highways that run between map references called waypoints. There are thousands of waypoints and aircraft often alter course near them. Pilots may also be required to report by radio that they have reached certain waypoints. There is no compulsion upon airlines to fly a rigid route between destinations; rather they have to lodge a flight plan that sets out the proposed route. This plan can be varied in flight subject to negotiation with relevant air traffic authorities. Weather is not the only factor - fuel management and flight timing are among others as is compliance with regulations, called ETOPS, which stipulate that certain aircraft, mainly twins, cannot ever be more than a specified flying time from an alternate airport in the event of a single engine failure.

Comment

Working...
    X