Flight Routes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Routes question

I've just been watching a FedEx plane going from Memphis to Dubai, and he passed right over my house (at 35000ft). I'm in Scotland, far to the north of both Memphis and Dubai. Can I ask why they take this route?

have in mind that Earth is sphere but not completely round
    Last edited by Amper; 2015-10-31, 16:43.
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Ah really - I don't know these things lol, it just looked odd to me. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fumanchu View Post
        Ah really - I don't know these things lol, it just looked odd to me. Thanks
        If you zoom out FR24 so that the world map is visible you'll see few, if any, aircraft on a straight path from North America to the Middle East. Most appear to arc northwards and many pass over Britain while most pass over Europe at some point during the flight. For instance I used to watch a Canadian plane from Toronto to Tel Aviv and it often passed right over Heathrow. On FR24 you are looking at a flat representation of a globe and those arcs are close to straight lines when executed over a globe. Also bear in mind that in these times many flights to and from the Middle East are flying less than optimal routes for security reasons.

Comment

As you can see here, the straightest line between the two goes just north of Scotland. Depending on ATC clearances and weather, the flight could easily fly over mainland Scotland and still be heading in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleG View Post
            As you can see here, the straightest line between the two goes just north of Scotland. Depending on ATC clearances and weather, the flight could easily fly over mainland Scotland and still be heading in the right direction.

KyleG, what tool did you use to produce that image, please?

Comment

Wow that makes it clearer thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
                KyleG, what tool did you use to produce that image, please?

Originally posted by fumanchu View Post
                Wow that makes it clearer thanks!
                No worries

Comment

Working...
                X