Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaping hole over N.Ireland.

Flight attendant

Black Holes

Quote Originally Posted by jedthebass View Post
    Sam I'm well aware who 'Mike' is thanx.I was just commenting on the seemingly regular absence of coverage over N.I.The traffic in my area is NOT mostly Military and I just wondered at the regular very obvious 'hole' over this area and wondered if it was due to a lack of receivers.It can be very busy at times with the usual Civil stuff what with 2 airports in the Belfast area and also transatlantic stuff,but other times it can be devoid of anything.Just wondered,is all.Cheers
    Jed,

I live in Antas in Spain and local airports to me include Almeria, Murcia, Granada, Seville, Alicante etc. and yet at time, the skies are virtually empty with huge holes in the Airspace and that is for the following reasons.

1. These airports rely on two types of traveller, the Regional Spanish Businessmen flying from say Barcelona to Granada etc. and Tourists. Ryan Air being one of the largest carriers from Ireland and NI into these airports, the first problem is scheduling. You will find loads of coverage between 8am and midday, then emptiness and then again loads of coverage between 6pm and 10pm.

2. Weather. Whilst we have over 3,000hrs of sunshine a year, when an Electrical Storm hits as it did yesterday, nothing flies... everything gets grounded and I know in Ireland and NI fog at some airports is a big issue so you have to take that into account as well.

3. Due to Murcia being a Civil and Military Airport and Seville having a Military Base for testing Airbus', at time certain parts of the local sky are 'NO FLY ZONES' for these purposes and manoeuvres.

I would suggest researching more into Flight Timetables at Local Airports to see if scheduling is creating the black holes you see now and again... In my location near the Med, what surprises me is the volume of LONG HAUL flights at stupid high altitudes that fly over from South America, Africa, Japan etc. and due to their Height, I have picked them up at over 380Nmi distance.
    If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

Purser
    That all sounds plausible Demon and I thank you for your input.I don't know how many feeders there are in N.Ireland,but if there aren't many,and not all of them are feeding,then coverage would be pretty sparse,I reckon.Its just that sometimes it looks as if flights are purposefully avoiding overflying here.I know that sounds ludicrous,but its just how it looks.Cheers.

Flight attendant

Black Hole Coverage

That all sounds plausible Demon and I thank you for your input.I don't know how many feeders there are in N.Ireland,but if there aren't many,and not all of them are feeding,then coverage would be pretty sparse,I reckon.Its just that sometimes it looks as if flights are purposefully avoiding overflying here.I know that sounds ludicrous,but its just how it looks.Cheers.
    Ha ha I don't think any of the airlines are avoiding you, not really a high risk zone or anything due to Terrorist, Warfare, Weather etc. I reckon it is probably a combination of actual coverage of feeders into FR24 and Flight Scheduling

Purser
    You're probably right Demon.I had thought of applying for a box from FR24 to sort of make up the numbers but I'm not ideally situated ie I'm located in a sort of hollow with not much all-round visiblity.I use FR24 every day in conjunction with 2 scanners so I guess I'll just have to put up with the lack of coverage>Thanx for your input anyway.Appreciated.

Flight attendant
    You're probably right Demon.I had thought of applying for a box from FR24 to sort of make up the numbers but I'm not ideally situated ie I'm located in a sort of hollow with not much all-round visiblity.I use FR24 every day in conjunction with 2 scanners so I guess I'll just have to put up with the lack of coverage>Thanx for your input anyway.Appreciated.
    Don't let that put you off applying, if you are lacking feeders in your area it could fill a hole for them. I am surround by three mountain ranges but I use a 9m mast to get best coverage... What's the worst can happen, they might say no...!