Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaping hole over N.Ireland.

Purser

Gaping hole over N.Ireland.

Can someone explain to me why there is an apparent lack of coverage over N.Ireland here? Is this due to the simple fact that no aircraft are actually flying there,or that there is not enough coverage in the area? I've noticed this on several occasions.Flightradar24.com Live flight tracker .jpg

Purser
    200 views and not 1 reply.Thanx for you input.

Purser
    330 views now.Nobody has any input? At all? I was going to apply for a box but I don't think I'll bother now.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by jedthebass View Post
    330 views now.Nobody has any input? At all? I was going to apply for a box but I don't think I'll bother now.
    Traffic over NI is very weather dependent. When the NATS tracks are with us there can be greater than 800 overflights in a day. Other days, like the past weekend, there are a handful early in the morning and nothing else over the centre of the province for the rest of the day. Other than the Wild Geese parachuting...

MLAT coverage of the airports usually only works above 2,500 ft or so. Most of the inbound City traffic disappears just past Donaghadee when MLAT drops-out.

In general I find FR24 NI coverage just about adequate but I doubt the FR24 crew would dispatch free receivers; most of the time they ignore our feeds anyway and use west-coast Scotland and southern Irish feeders *shrug*
    Last edited by mimku; 2015-10-26 at 11:31.

Where does the "lack of coverage" conclusion come from? With 20+ FR24 receivers and 40+ total receivers in Ireland, and a average coverage of about 200-400 km from each receiver I don't really see any possibility for coverage holes in Ireland. If there are no aircraft in that area I would guess nothing is flying there, or are there any proof of missing aircraft?

Purser
    Thanx mimku for your reply.Like you say,N.Ireland coverage is just about average.I just wondered,thats all.Sad that some Admin cant reply without being condescending and sarcastic.

Passenger
    There was a large NATO exercise involving ballistic missile defence systems off the West Coast of Scotland on the 20th, it's possible the airspace may still have been closed on the day you posted this screenshot and so aircraft were being routed through different airspace than usual, which could explain the lack of traffic over NI.

Purser
    Thats probably it KyleG.Thanx for your helpful input.
    Last edited by jedthebass; 2015-11-19 at 11:28.

First officer
    jed, that "Admin that replied" was the genius guy behind this whole website. I don't think he was trying to be condescending, just commenting on the reality . FR24 doesn't include most military traffic for various reasons. If the traffic in your area is mostly military it's not surprising it doesn't show up on FR24. It probably won't show up on most other flight trackers on the internet but you may be able to receive them privately with an ADS-B receiver locally. But don't expect them all to be broadcast to the public on websites like FR24.
    Last edited by Sam26K; 2015-11-24 at 06:48.

Purser
    Sam I'm well aware who 'Mike' is thanx.I was just commenting on the seemingly regular absence of coverage over N.I.The traffic in my area is NOT mostly Military and I just wondered at the regular very obvious 'hole' over this area and wondered if it was due to a lack of receivers.It can be very busy at times with the usual Civil stuff what with 2 airports in the Belfast area and also transatlantic stuff,but other times it can be devoid of anything.Just wondered,is all.Cheers