Gaping hole over N.Ireland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaping hole over N.Ireland.

Can someone explain to me why there is an apparent lack of coverage over N.Ireland here? Is this due to the simple fact that no aircraft are actually flying there,or that there is not enough coverage in the area? I've noticed this on several occasions.Flightradar24.com Live flight tracker .jpg

200 views and not 1 reply.Thanx for you input.

Comment

330 views now.Nobody has any input? At all? I was going to apply for a box but I don't think I'll bother now.

Comment

Originally posted by jedthebass View Post
        330 views now.Nobody has any input? At all? I was going to apply for a box but I don't think I'll bother now.
        Traffic over NI is very weather dependent. When the NATS tracks are with us there can be greater than 800 overflights in a day. Other days, like the past weekend, there are a handful early in the morning and nothing else over the centre of the province for the rest of the day. Other than the Wild Geese parachuting...

MLAT coverage of the airports usually only works above 2,500 ft or so. Most of the inbound City traffic disappears just past Donaghadee when MLAT drops-out.

In general I find FR24 NI coverage just about adequate but I doubt the FR24 crew would dispatch free receivers; most of the time they ignore our feeds anyway and use west-coast Scotland and southern Irish feeders *shrug*
        Last edited by mimku; 2015-10-26, 11:31.

Comment

Where does the "lack of coverage" conclusion come from? With 20+ FR24 receivers and 40+ total receivers in Ireland, and a average coverage of about 200-400 km from each receiver I don't really see any possibility for coverage holes in Ireland. If there are no aircraft in that area I would guess nothing is flying there, or are there any proof of missing aircraft?

Comment

Thanx mimku for your reply.Like you say,N.Ireland coverage is just about average.I just wondered,thats all.Sad that some Admin cant reply without being condescending and sarcastic.

Comment

There was a large NATO exercise involving ballistic missile defence systems off the West Coast of Scotland on the 20th, it's possible the airspace may still have been closed on the day you posted this screenshot and so aircraft were being routed through different airspace than usual, which could explain the lack of traffic over NI.

Comment

Thats probably it KyleG.Thanx for your helpful input.
                Last edited by jedthebass; 2015-11-19, 11:28.

Comment

jed, that "Admin that replied" was the genius guy behind this whole website. I don't think he was trying to be condescending, just commenting on the reality . FR24 doesn't include most military traffic for various reasons. If the traffic in your area is mostly military it's not surprising it doesn't show up on FR24. It probably won't show up on most other flight trackers on the internet but you may be able to receive them privately with an ADS-B receiver locally. But don't expect them all to be broadcast to the public on websites like FR24.
                  Last edited by Sam26K; 2015-11-24, 06:48.

Comment

Sam I'm well aware who 'Mike' is thanx.I was just commenting on the seemingly regular absence of coverage over N.I.The traffic in my area is NOT mostly Military and I just wondered at the regular very obvious 'hole' over this area and wondered if it was due to a lack of receivers.It can be very busy at times with the usual Civil stuff what with 2 airports in the Belfast area and also transatlantic stuff,but other times it can be devoid of anything.Just wondered,is all.Cheers

Comment

Black Holes

Sam I'm well aware who 'Mike' is thanx.I was just commenting on the seemingly regular absence of coverage over N.I.The traffic in my area is NOT mostly Military and I just wondered at the regular very obvious 'hole' over this area and wondered if it was due to a lack of receivers.It can be very busy at times with the usual Civil stuff what with 2 airports in the Belfast area and also transatlantic stuff,but other times it can be devoid of anything.Just wondered,is all.Cheers
                      Jed,

I live in Antas in Spain and local airports to me include Almeria, Murcia, Granada, Seville, Alicante etc. and yet at time, the skies are virtually empty with huge holes in the Airspace and that is for the following reasons.

1. These airports rely on two types of traveller, the Regional Spanish Businessmen flying from say Barcelona to Granada etc. and Tourists. Ryan Air being one of the largest carriers from Ireland and NI into these airports, the first problem is scheduling. You will find loads of coverage between 8am and midday, then emptiness and then again loads of coverage between 6pm and 10pm.

2. Weather. Whilst we have over 3,000hrs of sunshine a year, when an Electrical Storm hits as it did yesterday, nothing flies... everything gets grounded and I know in Ireland and NI fog at some airports is a big issue so you have to take that into account as well.

3. Due to Murcia being a Civil and Military Airport and Seville having a Military Base for testing Airbus', at time certain parts of the local sky are 'NO FLY ZONES' for these purposes and manoeuvres.

I would suggest researching more into Flight Timetables at Local Airports to see if scheduling is creating the black holes you see now and again... In my location near the Med, what surprises me is the volume of LONG HAUL flights at stupid high altitudes that fly over from South America, Africa, Japan etc. and due to their Height, I have picked them up at over 380Nmi distance.
                      If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

Comment

That all sounds plausible Demon and I thank you for your input.I don't know how many feeders there are in N.Ireland,but if there aren't many,and not all of them are feeding,then coverage would be pretty sparse,I reckon.Its just that sometimes it looks as if flights are purposefully avoiding overflying here.I know that sounds ludicrous,but its just how it looks.Cheers.

Comment

Black Hole Coverage

That all sounds plausible Demon and I thank you for your input.I don't know how many feeders there are in N.Ireland,but if there aren't many,and not all of them are feeding,then coverage would be pretty sparse,I reckon.Its just that sometimes it looks as if flights are purposefully avoiding overflying here.I know that sounds ludicrous,but its just how it looks.Cheers.
                          Ha ha I don't think any of the airlines are avoiding you, not really a high risk zone or anything due to Terrorist, Warfare, Weather etc. I reckon it is probably a combination of actual coverage of feeders into FR24 and Flight Scheduling

Comment

You're probably right Demon.I had thought of applying for a box from FR24 to sort of make up the numbers but I'm not ideally situated ie I'm located in a sort of hollow with not much all-round visiblity.I use FR24 every day in conjunction with 2 scanners so I guess I'll just have to put up with the lack of coverage>Thanx for your input anyway.Appreciated.

Comment

You're probably right Demon.I had thought of applying for a box from FR24 to sort of make up the numbers but I'm not ideally situated ie I'm located in a sort of hollow with not much all-round visiblity.I use FR24 every day in conjunction with 2 scanners so I guess I'll just have to put up with the lack of coverage>Thanx for your input anyway.Appreciated.
                              Don't let that put you off applying, if you are lacking feeders in your area it could fill a hole for them. I am surround by three mountain ranges but I use a 9m mast to get best coverage... What's the worst can happen, they might say no...!

Comment

Working...
                              X