ADS-B Retransmissions decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADS-B Retransmissions decoding

I live in Orlando Florida and use an RTL dongle with Raspberry Pi to feed 1090 ADS-B to FR24. A lot of the local flight schools and GA traffic use the 978MHz UAT (US only) to transmit ADS-B Out. The FAA retransmits these position reports on 1090 so that other aircraft may see them. Has anyone successfully hacked their system to pick up and decode these retransmissions to see this extra traffic? Thanks.

no one yet

Comment

OK, I found the information on Dump978. I will load this up and feedback my findings to the forum.

Comment

I'm using the following command on my linux box with an rtl sdr dongle

Code:
        sudo rtl_sdr -f 978000000 -s 2083334 -g 48 - | ./dump978 | ./uat2esnt | nc -q1 127.0.0.1 30001
        This is fed to an instance of dump1090 which is acting as my rebroadcast server that fr24feed connects to. The issue I am running into is I think fr24feed is filtering out DF=18 messages which is how uat2esnt re-encodes the data. I have not been able to get fr24feed to connect to the basestation datafeed from dump1090
        Last edited by kjablonski; 2015-10-08, 17:57.
        Feed Provider:
        F-KDWH1
        T-KDWH8 (Experimental UAT)

Comment

Originally posted by kjablonski View Post
          I'm using the following command on my linux box with an rtl sdr dongle

Code:
          sudo rtl_sdr -f 978000000 -s 2083334 -g 48 - | ./dump978 | ./uat2esnt | nc -q1 127.0.0.1 30001
          This is fed to an instance of dump1090 which is acting as my rebroadcast server that fr24feed connects to. The issue I am running into is I think fr24feed is filtering out DF=18 messages which is how uat2esnt re-encodes the data. I have not been able to get fr24feed to connect to the basestation datafeed from dump1090
          I would think there would be a great difference between you picking up 978Mhz data and FR24 doing the same. Just like ABC cannot pick up and retransmit CNN broadcasts, FR24 can not just utillize FAA data without permission. So that would be why they filter out DF=18 I guess.

Comment

Any idea where i can find specs on df18 vs df17? im not receiving any tis-b uplinks. All my data is from the a/c themselves so, I would like to try and reencode them to df17 but cant find specs

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
            Feed Provider:
            F-KDWH1

Comment

From a post over at Flight Aware (is it cool to link to the competition?):
              I’m a little confused on what information is on 978 Mhz in the US. Will general aviation broadcast ADS-B on 978 Mhz? Also I was wondering if is it possible to decode TIS-B traffic to plot like we are doing on 1090? Thanks for the information.

obj (the creator of dump978) says df17 and 18 use the same encoding format. I modified the uat2esnt program to change the df type to 17.
              quick runs with test data pumping it to VRS show the ADSB payloads are all valid as DF17. I'll try to get live data captured over the weekend and report back
              Feed Provider:
              F-KDWH1

Comment

Originally posted by CGT View Post
                I live in Orlando Florida and use an RTL dongle with Raspberry Pi to feed 1090 ADS-B to FR24. A lot of the local flight schools and GA traffic use the 978MHz UAT (US only) to transmit ADS-B Out. The FAA retransmits these position reports on 1090 so that other aircraft may see them. Has anyone successfully hacked their system to pick up and decode these retransmissions to see this extra traffic? Thanks.
                The USA always tried to be different - and cause problems to users.

Europe & Other Countries used 50 Hz / 220 V or 230 V. USA use 60 Hz 115 Volts.

Transformers designed for 60 Hz cannot be used for 50 Hz ( even after change the setting to 220 V or 230 V ) - they overheated due to excessive "iron-loss" heat.
                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Success! I have successfully converted converted the messages from DF18 to DF17 and fr24 is accepting and displaying them.

Feed Provider:
                  F-KDWH1

Comment

Congratlations

Originally posted by kjablonski View Post
                    Success! I have successfully converted converted the messages from DF18 to DF17 and fr24 is accepting and displaying them.

Did you have to do anything else to get this to work? I will try it when I get a chance as I have a lot of UAT traffic in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by CGT View Post
                      Did you have to do anything else to get this to work? I will try it when I get a chance as I have a lot of UAT traffic in my area.
                      I made some modifications to mutability's code. Look at my github repo of dump978. https://github.com/kjablonski/dump978

I added a --df17 flag to the uat2esnt program.

Can you upload a capture of your dump978 frames? I would like to see if you are getting TIS-B messages. These would need to be filtered out before uploading to FR24

Last edited by kjablonski; 2015-10-13, 14:08.
                      Feed Provider:
                      F-KDWH1

Comment

Working...
                      X