Advice on a suitable scanner for a first time newbie but:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a suitable scanner for a first time newbie but:

Hi all, I am a total novice and literally only just joined the Forum.
    I have FlightRadar24 installed on my IPad Air and find it fascinating, but felt that it would be even more interesting if I could hear the conversations going on etc.
    I live on one of the approach/departure routes into Manchester (near Congleton in Cheshire) about 25 miles from the airport and often sit in the garden 'wondering' at the many overhead aircraft 'comings and goings' .

I would like to be able to hear both Manchester Airport and Aircraft conversations etc. but don't have a clue as to what to 'research' that would be suitable for this at my location.
    I don't mind paying a reasonable price for somthing that fulfills the requirements, with the hope it is not too complicated to set up and use.

I have spent a few hours this afternoon reading various forums and 'advice' and am more confused what to go for now than before I started, so any tips, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Roy
    Last edited by ryteker; 2015-09-08, 17:24.

I think it's best if the scanner to have alpha tags for the channels you program into the scanner.
    Analog scanner will work nicely for air traffic listening.
    If any local scanner/ham stores are in your area. You can go play with the display models and see what one you like the best for you.
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Thanks for your reply SoCalBrian,
      I have found there is a Radio Ham shop in Crewe called CB 37 Communications, so I'll pay them a visit once I've done some more 'reading/research' etc. there seems to be a whole new world in this 'hobby' to explore, getting more interested hour by hour.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Is listening to cockpit frequencies legal in the UK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, basically anything that is transmitted "in the clear" can be legally listened to, there are restrictions on some things such as re-broadcasting ATC over the web, also decrypting encoded transmissions without permission can be illegal in some circumstances but listening to aircraft chatter for your own enjoyment is quite legal in the UK (disclaimer, this is just my understanding of the law and is NOT a legal statement).
          FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

I have FlightRadar24 installed on my IPad Air and find it fascinating, but felt that it would be even more interesting if I could hear the conversations going on etc.
            Hi everybody ! Nice to meet you

Comment

Depends where are you located...maybe your area is covered on liveatc
              For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
                Depends where are you located...maybe your area is covered on liveatc
                Note the signature?

You've been had. It's recopied from the 2nd paragraph

Hi all, I am a total novice and literally only just joined the Forum. I have FlightRadar24 installed on my IPad Air and find it fascinating, but felt that it would be even more interesting if I could hear the conversations going on etc. I live on one of the approach/departure routes into Manchester (near Congleton in Cheshire)

Vietnam user and not modified the location properly. Likely going to edit posts and or profile and add spam any time now
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

In answer to the OP,I use a good ol' Uniden UBC 3500XLT, although a UBC 125XLT would be a good alternative. Loads of info on the net.

Comment

Ryteker, I've had a lot of scanners over the years. One of my favorites is a Uniden Bearcat BC355. Its inexpensive, good sensitivity, and easy to program. This particular one is a desktop version, but you can still easily take it outside if you want. If you prefer a handheld, Uniden has several to choose from, such as a BC75XLT.

Comment

Working...
                    X