Internet upload bandwidth requirement for feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet upload bandwidth requirement for feeders

I can't find any indication of the amount of data an FR24 receiver needs to upload to flightradar24 per second. The only relevant fact I can find is "Frame rate: over 1600 Mode-S frames per second (in high traffic areas)" but I presume this refers to frames received rather than data uploaded. I wondered if FR24 firmware zips or otherwise compresses the data before uploading.

Anyone contemplating hosting a feeder receiver surely wants to know how much of their possibly limited internet upload bandwidth will be taken by the FR24.

Clearly, this depends where the receiver is, but some guidelines please.

Data consumption is 200-800 MB/month depending on coverage as described here; http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment/

Comment

Thanks. I thought I had read that page carefully, but somehow failed to see that line.

So I make that about 5Kbps, on arbitrary assumption most traffic in 12-hour daytime period. It seems nice and light.

Comment

Yes, that's the assumption I made too.

However, I've been monitoring my data for the past hour and am currently (20:43Z) uploading at a rate of 56Kbps with 53 ADS-B and 63 ModeS aircraft being tracked. Providing my analyser does not crash I'll upload some 24hr graphs later this week.

Comment

Thanks, that would be interesting. I'm away this week but will have a look on Sunday.

Comment

The images attached show the data requirement for the FR24 receiver that I am hosting for a typical day to be read in context with the feed stats for the same receiver. The data graph is combined upload and download, download data is appropriately 1% of upload.FR24 DATA - Copy.jpg20150908STATSTOP - Copy.JPG20150908STATSBTM - Copy.JPG

Comment

Normal ADS-B data upload is about 200-800 MB per month depending on coverage and traffic in your area. MLAT adds more data on top of that. Probably up to 5-6 times more in high volume MLAT areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliam View Post
                The images attached show the data requirement for the FR24 receiver that I am hosting for a typical day to be read in context with the feed stats for the same receiver. The data graph is combined upload and download, download data is appropriately 1% of upload.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6422[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6424[/ATTACH]
                - Thanks. So more like 100Kbps during active hours. Too much for me, as that's about a third of my upload bandwidth.

What's the difference between hits and positions on those graphs?

Mike - How does MLAT increase the uploads? I thought it was just taking difference between timestamps of normally-uploaded ADS-B position reports.

Comment

MLAT data is uploaded more often.

See Post #111 from what Mike wrote.
                  All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.
                  Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                  [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Originally posted by factotum View Post
                    - Thanks. So more like 100Kbps during active hours. Too much for me, as that's about a third of my upload bandwidth.

What's the difference between hits and positions on those graphs?
                    Positions reported: number of aircraft positions reported to receiver.

Hits reported: number of updates from aircraft to receiver - regardless of update content.

Comment

Thanks.

BTW before posting I did do a search for upload figures but couldn't find any. It seems that the search results do not localise to a page, so for example my search did find the "help us increase coverage" thread but it was many pages long so the fact that there was a match on page 12 wasn't known to me and I couldn't face ploughing through it all.

Comment

The search engines custom search strings can help searching many sites/forums.
                        Like the one on Google. You can use..... "your keyword" site:flightradar24.com
                        Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                        [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

In my experience so far I'm seeing a peak of 6.2kb/s transmit with an average of 30.2MBytes sent a day.

This is tracked with pfsense and bandwidthd
                          See roughly 1500-2000 planes a day.

EDIT*:average taken over the last week
                          Not currently MLAT
                          Last edited by spudd; 2016-03-30, 15:40.

Comment

• This reply by evansjohn1 has been deleted by Oblivian

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                            The search engines custom search strings can help searching many sites/forums.
                            Like the one on Google. You can use..... "your keyword" site:flightradar24.com
                            thank you, man. it helped
                          Working...
                          X