Antenna moved outside, astonished with results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna moved outside, astonished with results

Just had the ariel man man round with his ladders to mount my active antenna on a pole at the side of the house. I connected it back to my SBS-3 and am completely astonished with the results.

Bear in mind it was previously in the loft and I was getting solid reads out to about 120 miles to the north and barely 50 to the east and virtually nothing to the south and west. as soon as I plugged it in I saw signals over Belgium to the east, Newcastle to the North, Wales to the west and the English Channel to the south. I was seeing about 60 A/C before and now seeing 140+.

All I can say is 'high and in the open' certainly gives superb results.

Jerry

In my case an elevation of 2 meters in the same position yielded significant results.
    F-SMZO2

Comment

I just did the same thing. Increased number of targets by a factor of 5 and range to over 250 miles. I bought a 10' section of 1" electrical conduit and some angle iron to make a mounting bracket. I'll have to paint it to keep the wife happy but it is terrific!
      2015-09-01 17.19.33 - Copy.jpg2015-09-01 17.19.48 - Copy.jpg

Comment

Hope you have secured your antenna and cables with lightning arrestor seems to be the antenna's position is the tallest place.

Originally posted by CGT View Post
        I just did the same thing. Increased number of targets by a factor of 5 and range to over 250 miles. I bought a 10' section of 1" electrical conduit and some angle iron to make a mounting bracket. I'll have to paint it to keep the wife happy but it is terrific!
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6398[/ATTACH]

F-LTAI2 | [ AYT Antalya, Turkey ] [ Flightradar24 ] [ First seen online: 2015-09-14 19:00:03 ]
        F-LTBA1 | [ ISL Istanbul, Turkey ] [ Flightradar24 ] [ First seen online: 2016-04-29 18:55:04 ]
        F-LTFJ5 | [ SAW Istanbul, Turkey ] [ Flightradar24 ] [ First seen online: 2016-12-16 11:20:04 ]
        F-LTFM1 | [ IST Istanbul, Turkey ] [ Flightradar24 ] [ First seen online: 2017-12-28 11:10:07 ]

Comment

Definitely!

Originally posted by emirhan View Post
          Hope you have secured your antenna and cables with lightning arrestor seems to be the antenna's position is the tallest place.
          Yes, I should have mentioned that. Although you can't see it in the pictures, the mast is grounded. The Raspberry Pi is connected via WiFi (not Ethernet) so my LAN is isolated. The power supply for the Pi is on a separate circuit with an isolating surge suppressor. Nothing will help me from a direct lightning strike but I should be OK for most of the more common storms around here. Thank you for asking for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
          X