Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Station names and what they mean? and Station Priorities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Station names and what they mean? and Station Priorities?

Hi All,

New to FR24 , I've just installed my FR24 base station , i was lucky enough to be in a prime position so snagged a freebie which is very cool.

I have been assigned F-EGNX5 as a station name , now i was wondering what the F signified ? EGNX is my nearest large airport East Midlands , so assume thats why the second part , and 5? maybe 5th station in this area?

I've also noticed that planes landing at EMA , whilst they appear in my Local Aircraft list the FR24 app and website don't seem to use my data , UNTIL the flight lands and then they pretty much without fail use it for ground movements.

I think I read somewhere about a recent software update that made 'F' type stations more tuned for ground movements?

I'm very new to all of this , so am (a) Probably asking an old question (and / or) (b) Am talking nonsense? :S

I have the antenna , mounted at the apex of my roof and have great data distances , maxed out so far at 398nm. So I was wondering is there a way that FR24 prioritises which data to use? For example a local station to me N-EGNX1 seems to be a preferred station , even for flights passing directly above me , right up until the point they land (if scheduled to LOL) at EMA , then my station takes over? Very interesting.

Anyway enough waffle , hope at least some of this makes sense?

Thanks in advance.

Alex (F-EGNX5)

Station names and what they mean? and Station Priorities?

The F- part signifies FR24 receivers while T- parts signifies volunteers using their own ADSB equipment. The number does indeed mean the receiver number in the area in order of first to last. My application was approved, how long did it take for them to ship it out? Anyway I'll probably be assigned my local airport F-KUNV1.

Sent from my iFruit 5s using Tapatalk
    T-KUNV2 - Tyrone, PA, DVB-T Stick with stock antenna
    F-KUNV1 - FR24 Reciever, serving University Park airport and surrounding area, in temporary position currently.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGNX5 View Post
      Hi All,

New to FR24 , I've just installed my FR24 base station , i was lucky enough to be in a prime position so snagged a freebie which is very cool.

I have been assigned F-EGNX5 as a station name , now i was wondering what the F signified ? EGNX is my nearest large airport East Midlands , so assume thats why the second part , and 5? maybe 5th station in this area?

I've also noticed that planes landing at EMA , whilst they appear in my Local Aircraft list the FR24 app and website don't seem to use my data , UNTIL the flight lands and then they pretty much without fail use it for ground movements.

I think I read somewhere about a recent software update that made 'F' type stations more tuned for ground movements?

I'm very new to all of this , so am (a) Probably asking an old question (and / or) (b) Am talking nonsense? :S

I have the antenna , mounted at the apex of my roof and have great data distances , maxed out so far at 398nm. So I was wondering is there a way that FR24 prioritises which data to use? For example a local station to me N-EGNX1 seems to be a preferred station , even for flights passing directly above me , right up until the point they land (if scheduled to LOL) at EMA , then my station takes over? Very interesting.

Anyway enough waffle , hope at least some of this makes sense?

Thanks in advance.

Alex (F-EGNX5)
      I'm F-EGNX4 located in Birstall, getting 250nm out to the east, less south and west. Where are you, must be a high location?

Yes, you are the 5th 'F' Flight radar equipped station for EMA.

Comment

Does anyone knows about the difference between M-LAT7 and M-LAT2? I've heard that "7" is a non-Adsb traffic that has its position calculated with Raspberry Pi . Is that correct? I have a Raspberry Pi 2 and many times I have the aircraft tracked by my station and I still read M-LAT2 on the label at the Fr24 app. Any thoughts???

Comment

Would like to see Flight Radar have a sticky showing all the abbreviations, come on guys, help us out.

Comment

Radar names has lost their importance several years ago as the data is not matching the correct codes. Data is primary used for internal FR24 use. The plan is to remove the codes at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Radar names has lost their importance several years ago as the data is not matching the correct codes. Data is primary used for internal FR24 use. The plan is to remove the codes at some point.

The public at large could care less which radar call sign is feeding the data for the flight they're tracking. However, it has relevance within the feeder community. I hope it doesn't disappear completely. The new statistics page is a nice contribution to the feeder community.
              F-KDAG1

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Reeves View Post
                The public at large could care less which radar call sign is feeding the data for the flight they're tracking. However, it has relevance within the feeder community. I hope it doesn't disappear completely. The new statistics page is a nice contribution to the feeder community.
                I understand what Mike is saying but also agree with the latter part of Patrick's statement. The feeders are of course essential to the FR24 system and if it's possible to assist them in fully understanding the classification, that should be done.
                Of course FR24 has the final say and if they feel it's not necessary I guess that's it.

Comment

Working...
                X