Polar plot - I simply don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar plot - I simply don't get it

Can anybody explain the Polar Plot to me?

What does the different shades of red indicate?

Here is my plot from today:
    Polarplot.JPG
    The deep red sector to the west only has one position reported whereas the light pink sector to the southwest has 30 positions reported so it does not mean number of hits, but the what?

This is how I'm reading this chart:

- Blue line: Range in nautical miles.
    - Inner circle: Positions reported between 0 to 50nm.
    - Second circle: Positions reported between 51 to 100nm.
    - Third circle: Positions reported between 101 to 200nm.
    - Fourth circle: Positions reported above 200nm.

The darker the color on the chart, the higher number of positions reported.

If you click on the legend beneath the chart, you can play around with the chart by disabling the range line, or individual circles.

Comment

Originally posted by T-ENTO3 View Post
      This is how I'm reading this chart:

- Blue line: Range in nautical miles.
      - Inner circle: Positions reported between 0 to 50nm.
      - Second circle: Positions reported between 51 to 100nm.
      - Third circle: Positions reported between 101 to 200nm.
      - Fourth circle: Positions reported above 200nm.

The darker the color on the chart, the higher number of positions reported.

If you click on the legend beneath the chart, you can play around with the chart by disabling the range line, or individual circles.
      Yes, I would like to read it like that as well, but why is the sector to the west deep red with only 1 position hit whereas the pink outer sector to the southwest represents 30 position hits?

And another thing: I would like to see some divide in different altitudes, as I'm specifically interested in nearby low latitude traffic. An altitude filter on the Polar Plot could do that I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
        I would like to see some divide in different altitudes, as I'm specifically interested in nearby low latitude traffic. An altitude filter on the Polar Plot could do that I think.
        You can always try Virtual Rader Server
        F-SMZO2

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
          Yes, I would like to read it like that as well, but why is the sector to the west deep red with only 1 position hit whereas the pink outer sector to the southwest represents 30 position hits?
          The colors represents hits within each circle. As I read your pic you have 2 equal areas (45 dg) in the circle >200 deep red. The first hit in a circle will be deep red. When more hits comes over a circle the area with most hits will be dark and lighter in areas with less hits.
          T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

Originally posted by attigliano View Post
            The colors represents hits within each circle. As I read your pic you have 2 equal areas (45 dg) in the circle >200 deep red. The first hit in a circle will be deep red. When more hits comes over a circle the area with most hits will be dark and lighter in areas with less hits.
            Tak, det hjalp

Comment

Hi
              Bit of a cold thread but had a similar question that this one didn’t quite answer. When I look at my polar plot the coloured segments (shades of blue nowadays) seem to indicate that my unit has received data from planes that are >200nm away but the range ring doesn’t go higher than say 75nm in the same direction.
              I assumed that if there had been some contacts in the segment that shows >200nm then the range ring would also reflect this.
              I figure I must be reading it wrong? Can anyone help explain that?

Thanks for any help you can give.

D1741BEE-5458-4418-97CF-86BD67485D2C.jpg

Comment

Your plot looks "wrong".

Your assumption is correct. Here's my polar diagram. As you can see the range "ring" approximately tracks the positions reported range.

You may need to contact FR24 Support.

04.jpg
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
                  You may need to contact FR24 Support.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9409[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for confirming; thought it looked odd. I’ll drop them a line

Max

Comment

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but what was the answer from FR24 support? I have the same thing on my polar plots.

It's been puzzling me for a while, especially as the graphs from dump1000-mutability don't show the long range positions that the polar plot does.
                    JFreddieF
                    T-EGWU97

Comment

Originally posted by JFreddieF View Post
                      Sorry for bumping an old thread, but what was the answer from FR24 support? I have the same thing on my polar plots.

It's been puzzling me for a while, especially as the graphs from dump1000-mutability don't show the long range positions that the polar plot does.
                      I seem to recall the explanation being that the range ring showed the average rather than the max. range which would make sense of the plot I guess, I was too lazy to get the raw data to back up or dispute that so just went with it.

Comment

Having stared at the plot a bit longer, I have a theory: The coloured segments show position reports, but the range line shows max range of tracks. A single position report may not be enough to start a track with. That would explain why we see one or two positions in the outer ring, but a max range in one of the inner rings. Also, the dump1090 range graph shows track range, not report range.
                        JFreddieF
                        T-EGWU97

Comment

Working...
                        X