Thread: Atlas air dissapears

Purser

Atlas air dissapears

3aug15 saw on fr24 855pm gmt atlas air 767 -3s1er reg n640gt 30kft hahn to ?? hahn is in germany https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn,_...and-Palatinate it passed liverpool by 906pm, 915pm it dissapears on fr24 while as high as glasgow and further west than ireland . Why would it dissapear did it turn off a transponder ?

Turns out that there's not many ASDS-B receivers in the Atlantic Ocean, in fact I don't think there's any! So it must have gone out of range of a receiver.
    Last edited by nzradar; 2015-08-04 at 02:49.
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by nzradar View Post
    Turns out that there's not many ASDS-B receivers in the Atlantic Ocean, in fact I don't think there's any! So it must have gone out of range of a receiver.
    I think there might be a couple in the Azores but apart from the Pacific, feeders on islands are few and far between.

Purser
    lol ok thanks...urm but then again how come other planes do show on fr24 in that area ????

Transponder power may be different, receiver conditions (anomalous propagation etc.) may vary, not all receivers on all of the time, flights at different levels (higher ones may be 'seen' for longer), lots of variables in this game. It is what it is!
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder

Purser
    thanks well i hope the real air traffic controllers can still see the planes !

Quote Originally Posted by nzradar View Post
    Transponder power may be different, receiver conditions (anomalous propagation etc.) may vary, not all receivers on all of the time, flights at different levels (higher ones may be 'seen' for longer), lots of variables in this game. It is what it is!

Me too!

But actually 'seeing them' over oceans and remote areas is just another slight of electronic wizardry using satellite technology where the aircraft electronically sends a position report, and this called CPDLC. Sometimes though some aircraft have to send voice reports on 'shortwave' radio to let ATC know where they are.
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder