Sydney Ground Vehicles Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney Ground Vehicles Missing

Sydney airport (YSSY) used to display ground vehicles earlier this year but they are now missing. I have the option to display them turned in in Settings. Do I have to do anything else or has something changed please?

I believe the ground vehicles are still being Blocked/Not Shown from the FR24 boxes data from showing on the FR24 map.
    Only the T-Feeders can get the ground vehicles to display on the FR24 maps. Maybe the local T-feeder(s) in the Sydney airport stopped uploading their data.
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

I'm a newbie. Not sure what you mean.

Comment

Any other comments on this please?
        I note that planefinder.net shows ground vehicles at YSSY.
        Last edited by pmolsen; 2015-10-23, 08:34.

Comment

Please read
          The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

and
          The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

I read both of those before I re-posted. Unfortunately neither of them says anything about why ground vehicles would suddenly stop displaying at a given airport.

Comment

Originally posted by pmolsen View Post
              I read both of those before I re-posted. Unfortunately neither of them says anything about why ground vehicles would suddenly stop displaying at a given airport.
              Welcome to FR24. You'll often be referred to those particular pages when an issue you raise is one that either can't or won't be resolved any time soon. Rarely will any reference be found to your particular problem in those pages because they are hardly ever updated. Draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I think the point being made is, coverage is not a guaranteed service. Fault or otherwise.
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I am simply trying to determine what would cause the information to stop being received. In other words whether it is a conscious decision by someone on our side and hence possibly can be rectified, or a change to something in Sydney Airport comms which would mean we cannot do anything about it.

If it is something on our side then someone must know whether it is a change in FR24 software or policy or a change to something some feeder is doing.

Things like that don't just "happen". There must be a logical explanation.

If it is feeder related I have applied to become a feeder as I live close to the airport, but have heard nothing since.

Comment

Last week Flightradar24.com had coverage in my area, but not any more. Why?
                    Flightradar24.com is a network of receivers around the world. Some receivers are online 24/7 and others are only online from time to time. There are many reasons why a receiver is offline. There can be a technical problems with the receiver, with the antenna, with the computer or with the Internet connection. There is also a possibility that the owner of the receiver has closed down his receiver. With over 4,000 receivers connected to the network, Flightradar24 cannot tell why different receivers are offline, and when they will be back online. If you want to be sure to have coverage in your area, buy a receiver and connect it to Flightradar24

Please let me know which part of this question and answer is not clear so we can make it more clear.

Comment

The part that is not clear is the part that is missing from the FAQ. It is the bit that explains why all aircraft including taxiing aircraft are visible at Sydney but no ground vehicles are visible. None of the explanations in that faq, which I read fully before I posted, explains why that is. They were all visible earlier in the year and now none are ever visible.

If it was due to any of the reasons given in the FAQ then taxiing aircraft would also not be visible but they are visible, including when they are near the terminal and clearly out of line-of-sight of most receivers.

There is obviously something that distinguishes ground vehicles from aircraft. Perhaps it is that Sydney ground vehicles have stopped transmitting the data. But suggesting that all 12 Sydney feeders have gone offline or have all got technical problems or all have internet connection problems all day every day for months is clearly not the case.

Comment

I pick up the occasional aircraft on the ground at Sydney, but have never picked up a ground vehicle. I am about 930m above the airport and about 45 nm away to the west.

Perhaps the ground vehicles are no longer using ADSB or Mode S transponders. They may be using an alternate, but traditionally they have relied on Surface Movement Radar as it is not possible to provide transponders for all vehicles and moveable objects. You could contact the airport technical people and ask them.
                        Last edited by stanno; 2015-10-27, 11:06. Reason: spelling

Comment

I think that is a more likely and logical explanation. I will try giving someone at the airport a call, if I can find someone who will divulge the information.

(I am located in a block of units overlooking the airport and have applied for a free receiver.)

Comment

Originally posted by pmolsen View Post
                            I am simply trying to determine what would cause the information to stop being received. In other words whether it is a conscious decision by someone on our side and hence possibly can be rectified, or a change to something in Sydney Airport comms which would mean we cannot do anything about it.

If it is something on our side then someone must know whether it is a change in FR24 software or policy or a change to something some feeder is doing.

Things like that don't just "happen". There must be a logical explanation.

If it is feeder related I have applied to become a feeder as I live close to the airport, but have heard nothing since.
                            I had a look at Planefinder and compared to FR24. Yes, vehicles are missing on FR24, but so are some aircraft from time to time.
                            As Planefinder can pick them up we can conclude that they are there and transmitting. But it all depends on one or more receivers picking up, and maybe Planefinder has better reception from it's receivers at the moment. Maybe even the one previously feeding vehicles to FR24 has now shifted to Planefinder and none of the remaining receivers are in a good enough position to see them. It is also a question of transmitter signal strength. Maybe the transmitters in the vehicles have been downgraded as the signals are only used locally inside the fence.

Comment

Hey Mike, I think to be fair to these guys, you could admit that the latest versions of feeding software for T- feeders no longer includes uploading of ground vehicles. I’ve checked the packets with Wireshark. It is highly likely that the last T- feeder around Sydney who was previously feeding ground vehicles with old software finally upgraded to the latest version of feeding software. The ground vehicles subsequently disappeared from Sydney as they have been for many other cities around the world. FR24 sponsored F- feeders have never sent ground vehicle data.
                              I do feel sorry for these feeders because it happened to me many months ago and I spent a huge amount of time trying to solve the problem. My attempts included seeking help from FR24 Support but it all came to nothing and no final explanation was ever given. There are a number of separate threads in this forum on this topic.
                              I would understand if there are issues with this data being made public or complexities with the accuracy of the data - both have been hinted at. Also understand that you would rather not provide details because of backlash on the forums (like the whole “my data is missing” stuff). It is just sad that so much wasted time has gone into this and a simple statement that the data is no longer being supported would be appreciated rather than the “generic” FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X