Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible to feed using SBS-3 via USB?

Flight attendant
    Hoorah, some measure of success I am now feeding direct from SBS-3 and have BS connected to 20072 of the feeder, this gives me flight display, BUT no SDR's, even though the status bar shows BS connected to SBS-1 (not SBS-3 as it would normally)

I have ordered a few connectors and cables to try sharing the active antenna in the loft between the SBS-3 and my dongle which I will use to feed. Hopefully the signal to the dongle will be a lot better than the one that came with it

Thanks for all the help Oblivian, it's been fun

Jerry

Flight attendant
    Gradually reaching my goal at last.

My bits arrived this morning and all fitted. I am now feeding FR24 from my dongle and have got my BS displaying everything from the SBS-3 all fed by the active antenna in the loft. The dongle feed has doubled the number of AC sent to FR24. Just by using a simple 3 way splitter and SMA to MCX patch cable. So the next step is to add the Airnav Radabox to the setup, using another 3 way splitter and SMA to SMA patch cable which should arrive early next week.

If anyone is interested this is how it is going to look:-

proposed.jpg |

Anyone see any pitfalls to this approach?

Jerry
    Last edited by slammer99uk; 2015-08-01 at 10:41. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator
    May see some signal loss. Up to 3dB per connector (call it free air/connection loss)

Thinking about it, I may have been picturing this way wrong and some of those errors in the FR window may be the MPX option. Re-reading it seems that is designed to be a downstream relay when FR is managing the hardware so you can still run BS as a graphical view. And will then lead to 2 sources providing data on 10001 - one with some, one with none. But both conflicting if using it in Ethernet mode (DOH)

sbs1usb - SBS1, SBS1er, SBS3 connected directly via USB. Windows users may omit this parameter when only one
    receiver is connected as it will be detected automatically. When using a Kinetic
    Avionics receiver an additional option “--mpx” is available so you can connect
    Basestation as well.
    A little confusing, but manual seems to indicate that the HARDWARE when in either mode, has 10001 (encrypted Basestation software format) accessible to be usable as normal. And the SOFTWARE aka Basestation can also output 30006 when loaded - binary output for Planeplotter (not the same as AVR/30003 output)

Normally I would expect:
    [Decoder] --> BS / 10001

I see MPX useful when throwing in the uploader as:

[decoder]--> FR24 (type=SBS-USB) --> BS (via MPX aka port 10001)

However I may be wrong with prior example using AVR-TCP and its probably not the right format.

In which case [Decoder] --> BS (relay enabled) --> FR24 (type=AVRTCP port 30006) may not go. But SBS-TCP may!

I would be interested to see the results of

[Decoder] --> BS (USB) AND FRfeed -->(SBS-tcp) localhost:30006 instead of AVR-TCP (or localhost:10001 with MPX off!)

The instructions in the guide seem a little off

sbs1tcp - SBS1, SBS1er, SBS3 connected via Ethernet/TCP, please specify its IP
    and port by using “--host”, see below
    . When using a Kinetic Avionics receiver an
    additional option “--mpx” is available so you can connect Basestation as well. The
    default IP and port is 192.168.1.170:10001
    A quick test here defaults the port to 10000 when using the --host command as additional args! but using the 172.0.0.1:30006 in the host field works. Go figure.
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-08-01 at 13:15.