Possible to feed using SBS-3 via USB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to feed using SBS-3 via USB?

Copying from the SBS-x post just in case someone here can answer.

After realising I can not control the onboard SDR's when connected via ethernet. I wanted to try and feed using USB.

I have tried pretty much every port that the feeder software provides, but for the life of me I can not get it to recognise my SBS-3 when connected via USB. The feeder config seems to allow for this.

Or failing that is there a way to control the SDR's when connected via Ethernet?

Is there actually a way to do this under Windows 7?

Jerry
    Last edited by slammer99uk; 2015-07-28, 16:20.

Originally posted by slammer99uk View Post
    Copying from the SBS-x post just in case someone here can answer.

After realising I can not control the onboard SDR's when connected via ethernet. I wanted to try and feed using USB.

I have tried pretty much every port that the feeder software provides, but for the life of me I can not get it to recognise my SBS-3 when connected via USB. The feeder config seems to allow for this.

Or failing that is there a way to control the SDR's when connected via Ethernet?

Is there actually a way to do this under Windows 7?

Jerry
    WHats your exact process, and what exactly isn't working. (screenshots/messages?)

I don't have one to test, but there is native USB support as part of the feed software, much like the beast. However it needs a drop-down change and this wont by default allow BaseStation to also work at the same time.
    Assuming the feed SW is configured properly you should see it attempt to connect as part of the startup and give output if successful etc.

From there, to also have BS running it needs to have --MPX put into the additional argument space and then reconfigure basestation to look at port 20072 (may have changed in later update - I need to run when I get home and confirm)
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      WHats your exact process, and what exactly isn't working. (screenshots/messages?)

I don't have one to test, but there is native USB support as part of the feed software, much like the beast. However it needs a drop-down change and this wont by default allow BaseStation to also work at the same time.
      Assuming the feed SW is configured properly you should see it attempt to connect as part of the startup and give output if successful etc.

From there, to also have BS running it needs to have --MPX put into the additional argument space and then reconfigure basestation to look at port 20072 (may have changed in later update - I need to run when I get home and confirm)
      Thanks for replying Oblivion.

I am at work now so I will post here what I can remember, if this fails to help I will post a more comprehensive response tonight.

The main problem I am having is not specifically a feeder problem, namely when I have my SBS-3 connected via Ethernet I lose my SDR radios:-

Connected via USB
      USB.jpg

Connected via Ethernet
      Ethernet.jpg

So I want to feed via the USB connection obviously. Reconfig of the feeder software is done choosing SBS3 and USB and outputing feeds on all the ports suggested by the program. Once started up the main error message I see is "unable to connect..... make sure receiver is an SBSx-USB device (or similar) is this where the --mux arguement comes in?

Let me know if this is enough to go on?

Jerry

Comment

Mayyyyybe.

Presuming it creates a serial emulation port on the system you'll also need to tell it the com port. On mine for the beast I have it set as "COM4" (being mine is on 4) in the COM/DEV/PATH field

But if its the basestation thats got the error on startup saying it can't find the SBS, quite possibly. the --MPX enables data on that local port that is is in basestation format to allow you to daisy chain, and then you reconfigure basestation settings to tap into instead of basestation trying to connect to the USB directly.

Ideally you want to check the FR24 feed status can talk to the USB primarily and starts uploading first. Then start chaining basestation on
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

No, it is not BaseStation that throws that error, it's the FR24feed program (unable to connect..... make sure receiver is an SBSx-USB device) and this is happening with only the feeder software running trying to connect to the SBS-3 (no BaseStation running)

I do not think serial emulation comes into it to be honest, but I could be wrong and may have to have a look at that.

I appreciate you trying to help.

Jerry

Comment

Would think there will be an interface or USB driver of some sort loading to be able to send/rec data over the USB. Thats usually via virtual com port

comport.jpg

Comment

Now that's an interesting screen shot, I assume this will be via a driver. I am going to have to dig further when I get home tonight.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Jerry

Comment

Another thing I note checking the manual..

The SBS-3 requires approximately 900 mA of current from the USB
                port when both SDR’s are turned on. Some PC’s, particularly older
                ones may not be able to supply this amount of power on a USB port.
                In this case, a special Y cable may be used to connect to either a
                second USB port on the PC, or an external power supply. One arm of
                the Y cable carries power only, and the other carries both power and
                data.

When the
                USB port on the SBS-3 is connected to a PC (and the orange USB
                light is on indicating a USB data connection), the Ethernet interface
                on the SBS-3 is automatically turned off to save power.
                There appears to be a USB OK that needs to go orange.

Comment

Power is definately not the problem, when running on USB the extra red USB is plugged into the powered USB hub. Using BaseStation and the SBS-3 via USB works absolutely fine including both tuners and all channels. The USB OK light is also on in this configuration. My guess is that in order to get it to light up with the feeder software, a working connection is required between the SBS-3 and Fr24feed, and for this I need to get the correct USB driver to create the com port you highlighted in your previous post.

Would this be the Zadig (sp) driver by any chance?

Jerry

Comment

OK so now I am getting somewhere. The big problem to overcome is I can either feed via USB with BS not running or I can have BS running but not feed and have full control of the SDR's

Somewhere in all this I am convinced the problem lies with the config settings of the ports. If the feed is connected to the SBS-3 then the feeder works but then BS shows "not connected" because the feeder software is hogging a port that BS needs. If I start BS off first it connects to the SBS-3 but the feeder errors out with:-

2015-07-29 21:07:49 | [basestation][i]Thread started
                    2015-07-29 21:07:49 | [basestation][i]Creating server socket
                    2015-07-29 21:07:49 | [basestation][i]Starting server on port 20072
                    2015-07-29 21:07:49 | [basestation][i]Waiting for a connection
                    2015-07-29 21:07:49 | [reader][i][0]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [time][i]Time synchronized correctly, offset +2.0619 secon
                    ds
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [main][i]Feed Network client started
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [main][i]RAW data server started
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][i]Downloading configuration
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [raw][i]Initializing server
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [raw][i]Starting server on 0.0.0.0:30334
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]Interval: 5s
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]Latitude: 51.4900
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]Longitude: 0.0800
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]GND: YES
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]NonADSB: YES
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]Timestamps: optional
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]Max range AIR: 350.0nm
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][c]Max range GND: 100.0nm
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][i]defined 1 server
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][n]EGLC74@83.140.21.66:8099/UDP
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [feed][n]connecting
                    2015-07-29 21:07:52 | [stats][i]Stats thread started
                    2015-07-29 21:07:53 | [feed][n]connected
                    2015-07-29 21:07:53 | [feed][n]switching to UDP
                    2015-07-29 21:07:53 | [feed][n]working
                    2015-07-29 21:08:04 | [reader][e][0]Authentication failed, please make sure the
                    specified device is a SBSX-USB receiver
                    2015-07-29 21:08:04 | MSGS-OK: 0
                    2015-07-29 21:08:04 | MSGS-ER: 0
                    2015-07-29 21:08:09 | [reader][i][0]Connecting to SBS1 receiver via USB (DEFAULT
                    )
                    2015-07-29 21:08:09 | [reader][i][0]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
                    2015-07-29 21:08:23 | [feed][n]ping 1
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | [reader][e][0]Authentication failed, please make sure the
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | MSGS-OK: 0
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | MSGS-ER: 0
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | [reader][i][0]Connecting to SBS1 receiver via USB (DEFAULT
                    )
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | [reader][i][0]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | [feed][n]ping 2
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | [reader][i][0]Connecting to SBS1 receiver via USB (DEFAULT
                    )
                    2015-07-29 21:09:23 | [reader][i][0]Connected to the receiver, authenticating

Let me expalin what I want do - I want to feed my SBS-3 detected aircraft to FR24 and I want BS running and showing those aircraft. It seems to me that FR24feed needs a port to take the data from the SBS-3 to send to FR24, that's understood, but BS needs another port to also take the data to display it. That's the bit I appear to be having trouble with. To make things a bit muddier it appears that the SDR's will only work when BS is connected to the SBS-3 directly i.e. with no intermediary program in between

Or am I wrong?

Jerry

Comment

Right yes, this is similar to DVBT sticks and people trying to run independant apps at same time. They can't get exclusive access so one or the other stops working.

Ignore the comport/port potenial - if BS reads it fine and FR can away from each other they both know how to talk to USB direct so should be OK

If its fine with USB-FR24 (uploading data fine?) but cant run BS, that is because the fr app has hooked it
                      If its fine with USB-BS and above when running FR its because BS has hooked it.

Need to set --MPX in fr24feed - will hook the USB, and re-output the data for BS to capture on 10001
                      The big key will be to Configure BS for network mode still, and get it to ignore USB - however I dont think this will allow your radios to be tapped into (unless its able to be sent via Network data too)

Last few pages here show you the network config, set it to 127.0.0.1 and leave the 10001 there, or your PCs IP address. This should then attach to the data from FR24feed as if it was the SBS on a the network as before.

If this doesnt work you may need to check for Basestation OUTPUT settings (30003 output) and then configure fr24feed for AVR (TCP)

Comment

Thank you for your continued help Oblivian, I will have another go at it tonight.

One thing I *think* I have figured out, the disappearing SDR's do not appear to be Ethernet/USB related. I believe I have narrowed it down when BS is not connected directly to the SBS-3, then the toobar buttons and menu either dissappears or greys out. I fear the only way round this is for two different port connections to be made to the SBS-3, one for feeding and one for BS. I do not know if this is even possible, I suspect not?

Jerry

Comment

OK so still no luck, I have tried everything I can think of. I was definately right about the SDR's. They are only available when BS is connected to the SBS-3 either by USB or TCP/IP. The feeder software can not hook into the SBS-3 at the same time. Even if we were able to insert the feeder software between the SBS-3 and BS the BS would not recognise it it as being connected to the SBS-3 (just shows "not connected" in the status bar in BS.

Unless there is anything else you might suggest, I feel like I am flogging a dead horse

Jerry

Comment

I can see about 4 different combinations in my head.

Try this..

Configure and then Close the FR24 feed software so it's not running - Configure as AVR-TCP, your PCs IP running BS, and port 30006

SBS connected to Basestation (method however you please)

In basestation, enable Mode A/C relay
                            According to this manual, this outputs received data on 30006

Ensure its working as you want with the radios etc.
                            Launch FR24 feed and see if it can tap onto that local port and geed the output.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - Getting late here so will try in the morning

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X