Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Archived - Beta test MLAT software for Raspberry Pi

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeo View Post
    Nope :-)

install dump1090-mutability, install FR24 and connect via AVR (TCP) on 127.0.0.1:30002, then install piaware and it works out for itself that dump1090 already exists.

thats how I'm running it here..... (just remember to do the setting to stop the FA produced MLAT getting sent to FR)
    Going to go out on a limb here and guess this isn't good

Code:
    mlat-mode="UDP"
    mlat-number-seen="0"
    mlat-ok="YES"
    mlat-started="YES"
    As I went the manual MR route, of course the connection type is TCPAVR via 30002. Can it actually still do helpful MLAT data with that

//edit

Stand-down. Now says 1 with a contact in range. However:
    Code:
    mlat-uplink-stats="0"
    mlat_problem="no-config"
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-09-24 at 07:53.

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by obj View Post
    Note that the standard FlightAware/piaware sdcard images, which is the large majority of installs, do not forward mlat outside their own systems unless explictly told to. mlat-client sends synthetic position messages to dump1090, but dump1090 is configured not to forward those messages further (e.g. it will not send them back out on port 30005). They can only escape if the user explicitly asks to forward them, or if piaware is installed on top of an existing system that forwards them.
    obj,

I've never used the piaware SD card image, all my Pi's have raspbian on them.. I am not sure about any latest versions of your dump1090-mutability, but even when using piaware with bog standard config which is to feed mlat data back into dump1090-mutability, and bog standard settings for fr24feed, the MLAT data leaks out of dump1090-mut into fr24feed ... I think this might be because fr24feed adds "--mlat" onto the end of the dump1090 CLI commands when starting dump1090.. As far as I am aware this was meant for FR24's version of dump1090 and it was designed to tell its dump1090 to do the timestamp mod and send mode-s packets into fr24feed ... I could be wrong, I am no programmer, but the switch isn't there if I turn off mlat in fr24feed.ini ... so maybe this will clear some things up?
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

For Mlat Must be Two Receiver Distance More Than 5 Km?? If two Receiver Distance Be under 5 Km It Not Work?

There are no exact numbers for MLAT.
    MLAT = calculating the position based on speed of light.
    If you have 2 receivers 5 meters from each other, you can't measure any difference in time = no MLAT.
    If you have 6 receivers in a straight line 25 km from each other, it's very hard to calculate the MLAT position = no MLAT
    If you have 4 receivers 3 km from each other you will maybe have MLAT but with very bad precision and big jumps.
    Many receivers spread out in big area you will get better MLAT and better data.

Purser
    Silly question but ....

Going to update to the new FR24 RPi software this weekend - I'm going to make a fresh install Raspian SD card - do I still have to install the rtl drivers and disable the DVB drivers in Raspian first or does the FR24 software do this as well ?

Thanks guys, I'm a bit dim on these matters

John
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by milair View Post
    Silly question but ....

Going to update to the new FR24 RPi software this weekend - I'm going to make a fresh install Raspian SD card - do I still have to install the rtl drivers and disable the DVB drivers in Raspian first or does the FR24 software do this as well ?
    Yes, these things will still need to be done, also don't forget to refer to my quick howto ( http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post68679 )if you also decide to feed flightaware as well..
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Purser
    Thnaks for that Bhaal, I just use VRS which is normally happy, hopefully this will not change.
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpin View Post
    The quiestion is rather; Will FR24 treat the Radarcape as a FR24 supplied F-feeder?. You will have to ask support@fr24.com for a definitive answer.

A further requirement is that the aircraft needs to be seen and interrogated by a secondary surveillance radar (SSR) or another aircraft equiped with ACARS in order for the transponder to transmit data. So to be sure the aircraft is tracked at low level you need line of sight from a radar site or steady traffic overhead
    Thanks for your reply.
    Meanwhile I got an answer from FR24 support regarding the radarcape receiver. FR24 will treat the Radarcape as a FR24 supplied feeder, because it is the same hardware.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If you have 2 receivers 5 meters from each other, you can't measure any difference in time = no MLAT.
    If you have 6 receivers in a straight line 25 km from each other, it's very hard to calculate the MLAT position = no MLAT
    If you have 4 receivers 3 km from each other you will maybe have MLAT but with very bad precision and big jumps.
    It depends also to the height of the airplane I asume If its flying at 3000 ft 4 receivers 3km from each other will maybe work. An airplane at 30.000 ft not.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Mike, what is the difference between MLAT6 and MLAT7?