X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milair View Post
    Silly question but ....

Going to update to the new FR24 RPi software this weekend - I'm going to make a fresh install Raspian SD card - do I still have to install the rtl drivers and disable the DVB drivers in Raspian first or does the FR24 software do this as well ?
    Yes, these things will still need to be done, also don't forget to refer to my quick howto ( http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post68679 )if you also decide to feed flightaware as well..
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Comment

• Thnaks for that Bhaal, I just use VRS which is normally happy, hopefully this will not change.
      T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
        The quiestion is rather; Will FR24 treat the Radarcape as a FR24 supplied F-feeder?. You will have to ask support@fr24.com for a definitive answer.

A further requirement is that the aircraft needs to be seen and interrogated by a secondary surveillance radar (SSR) or another aircraft equiped with ACARS in order for the transponder to transmit data. So to be sure the aircraft is tracked at low level you need line of sight from a radar site or steady traffic overhead
        Thanks for your reply.
        Meanwhile I got an answer from FR24 support regarding the radarcape receiver. FR24 will treat the Radarcape as a FR24 supplied feeder, because it is the same hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          There are no exact numbers for MLAT.
          MLAT = calculating the position based on speed of light.
          If you have 2 receivers 5 meters from each other, you can't measure any difference in time = no MLAT.
          If you have 6 receivers in a straight line 25 km from each other, it's very hard to calculate the MLAT position = no MLAT
          If you have 4 receivers 3 km from each other you will maybe have MLAT but with very bad precision and big jumps.
          Many receivers spread out in big area you will get better MLAT and better data.
          It depends also to the height of the airplane I asume If its flying at 3000 ft 4 receivers 3km from each other will maybe work. An airplane at 30.000 ft not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            There are no exact numbers for MLAT.
            MLAT = calculating the position based on speed of light.
            If you have 2 receivers 5 meters from each other, you can't measure any difference in time = no MLAT.
            If you have 6 receivers in a straight line 25 km from each other, it's very hard to calculate the MLAT position = no MLAT
            If you have 4 receivers 3 km from each other you will maybe have MLAT but with very bad precision and big jumps.
            Many receivers spread out in big area you will get better MLAT and better data.
            Mike, what is the difference between MLAT6 and MLAT7?

Comment

• And if someone is still monitoring, can we get the manual re-written for the new-comers attempting to move across with the push.

It references functions in the http config (moreso for Pi) that no longer exist. dvbt-mr has been replaced by a cover-all "DVBT" now has it not?

Possibly some port lists for the different modes when default --net is enabled (similar to below) and further clarity of which scenarios/combinations the FR24feed RAW/BS are required off.

Is anyone else finding Process arguments appear to be ignored if using the newly capable Dump1090-Mutability?

I can only manage to pass changes via the sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability usage or pico/cat /etc/default/dump1090-mutability as the advanced mutability install instructions get that to run as a startup-service which means data uploads are started in 2 processes rather than FR24feed calling dump1090 (probably leading to a few peoples issues with not seeing the open-device errors)

/edit

and perhaps some clarity of which outputs allow proper MLAT data passing as most of these are envoked with -MU

TCP raw output listen port (default: 30002) Yes?
              TCP BaseStation output listen port (default: 30003) No?
              TCP Beast output listen port (default: 30005) No?

And maybe define the difference between service fr24feed start and fr24feed start for temporarily diagnosing errors
              Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-09-27, 02:07.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Some valid points Oblivian.... I know when I sat down recently on a rainy Saturday I ended up using a combo of about three different information sources to get things working.

Starting off with a fresh Raspbian image and then went down the path of installing dump1090-mutability (including lighttpd for the webserver for it) and getting that sorted, then FR24 feed (only the feeder, not the package with dump1090-MR) and then FA which quite happily found that I had d1090-mut running. It would appear that Iam feeding everything OK including MLAT to both.

Agreed theres not one real clear set of instructions; indeed, a post over on the FA forums was the most helpful, then a few posts by bhaal on here. I have written some rough notes for my own reference, but even looking at them now some weeks down the track, even they are a touch confusing!!

I'm feeding FR with AVR(TCP) 30002 but am curious like you as to whether or not this is correct.

Cheers

Andrew
                T-YSBK22

Comment

• Originally posted by rodeo View Post
                  Some valid points Oblivian.... I know when I sat down recently on a rainy Saturday I ended up using a combo of about three different information sources to get things working.

Starting off with a fresh Raspbian image and then went down the path of installing dump1090-mutability (including lighttpd for the webserver for it) and getting that sorted, then FR24 feed (only the feeder, not the package with dump1090-MR) and then FA which quite happily found that I had d1090-mut running. It would appear that Iam feeding everything OK including MLAT to both.

Agreed theres not one real clear set of instructions; indeed, a post over on the FA forums was the most helpful, then a few posts by bhaal on here. I have written some rough notes for my own reference, but even looking at them now some weeks down the track, even they are a touch confusing!!

I'm feeding FR with AVR(TCP) 30002 but am curious like you as to whether or not this is correct.

Cheers

Andrew
                  That's pretty much the same as me!

I followed the guide post here, then with that stopped, went and chucked on Piaware. All unbeknowing if I was running the FR24 modded version, Malcom Robb or otherwise.

Made sure I applied the 'fix' making note of "This currently works with the modified FR24 dump1090 because the FR24 modifications only mangle the timestamp on the "raw" AVR output, and FlightAware uses the "binary" Beast output"

Found the 'advanced' guide post where I realised you can then use a single version of Dump1090 for both and chucked on Mutability (not realising there was a difference). And now I'm wondering myself if it's still doing the biz.

I may roll back a bit and put on the FR24 pack to see if its a modded one still, MR or standard, either case the setup was pretty smart to pick up that D1090-MU was running as service when I re-ran FR24 setup recently aswell.

/edit I should put out, I am like most others running other apps downstream with no issues using this methodology.

Avoiding the time-stamped and edited outputs..
                  Planeplotter taps into the Beast RAW on 30005. Which then runs BS 30003 for my adsmysql database writer (more stable than FR/FA which seemed to close the port at random)
                  VRS goes onto Beast 30005 also, or AVR 30002 without much issue (restart of app required to acknowledge different data type as Beast and AVR are same option!!)
                  Local Dump1090 server on 8080
                  Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-09-27, 09:38.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Latest FR24 install

Have updated to the latest FR24 software using a new SD card and fresh Raspian install following the instructions at http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-Raspberry-Pie. It has not gone without hiccups such as blacklisting the DVB drivers , but I am now finally back on line and feeding. I have a few concerns, total idiot with Linux / Raspian as I have said before, so I hope someone can answer the following:

Looking through earlier posts it is recommended to leave off logging, I did this during my first failed attempt so chose option 2 second time round. How do I turn it off to save possible writing problems with the SD card ?

If I issue Dir in the root, all I see is python_gales & rtl-sdr. Yet another earlier post refers to /etc/fr24feed.ini ?? On my previous install I had FR24, Dump1090 folders in the root - I guess they are there as the RPi is working

Is it still possible to access the Dump1090 web view on 8080 ? If so how please ?

Thanks

John
                    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

Have updated to the latest FR24 software using a new SD card and fresh Raspian install following the instructions at http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-Raspberry-Pie. It has not gone without hiccups such as blacklisting the DVB drivers , but I am now finally back on line and feeding. I have a few concerns, total idiot with Linux / Raspian as I have said before, so I hope someone can answer the following:

Looking through earlier posts it is recommended to leave off logging, I did this during my first failed attempt so chose option 2 second time round. How do I turn it off to save possible writing problems with the SD card ?

If I issue Dir in the root, all I see is python_gales & rtl-sdr. Yet another earlier post refers to /etc/fr24feed.ini ?? On my previous install I had FR24, Dump1090 folders in the root - I guess they are there as the RPi is working

Is it still possible to access the Dump1090 web view on 8080 ? If so how please ?

Thanks

John
                      Same as the windows and OSX, there is a built in webserver on 8754. http://yourpiip:8754 which allows you to edit settings if not familiar with Linux.

Else:
                      Cd /etc
                      pico fr24feed.ini

And as long as the --net has been specified somewhere when dump1090 starts (various ways of doing so) http://iptopi:8080

Comment

• Actually I just spotted too..

The package provides everything required to run the decoder software, including Malcolm Robb's fork of dump1090 utility. You may replace it with other forks which support "--mlat" argument for MLAT feeding.
                        Which clarifies a portion of query (but not if direct connection or 30002 data will suffice)

Comment

• Thanks for the tips Oblivian, I'll try them out when I get home tonight, I did access 8754 but most of the data was blank.

I have port 30003 feeding VRS fine, so the Dump1090 webview is not that important but I'll add --net in and give it a go.

John

Comment

Thanks for the tips Oblivian, I'll try them out when I get home tonight, I did access 8754 but most of the data was blank.
                            It seems to be another bug. F5 a few times and it will populate. Frustrating but appears to be on both Win32 and Pi versions now. I get it too

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              It seems to be another bug. F5 a few times and it will populate. Frustrating but appears to be on both Win32 and Pi versions now. I get it too
                              So will this bug cause a possible write error as well ?

Comment

• Shouldn't. But I refresh and write a couple of times to be sure

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X