Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 91

Thread: Help Setting Up Flightradar24 Software

  1. #21
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    37
    Raw data (port 30334) is what comes out of RTL1090, ADSB#, etc
    Basestation is decoded data in a text format that is decoded and looks something like MSG,0,1,2,3,4 etc
    For raw data you would check "binary" and for basestation you would check "normal"
    You probably are in the ballpark you just need the right message format
    I would also not use ADSBScope like above mentioned you're much better off with VRS, it keeps better logging, only drawback is it doesn't decode TIS-B (DF 18 CA 6)

  2. #22
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    T-NZCH1, PP:PH New Zealand
    Posts
    5,028
    Quote Originally Posted by hikeofyourlife View Post
    Raw data (port 30334) is what comes out of RTL1090, ADSB#, etc
    Yeap. And Fr24feed uses a couple of direct output hooks - one of them the core component of RTL1090 when using RTL sticks, so when the options are enabled in the config to relay output it does similar. However the instruction docs are a little confusing when it comes to relaying. And has different suggestions when using an RTL device

    --raw=BOOL - Defaults to “no” and decides whether or not the RAW data stream should be
    available on port 30334 for all receivers but DVBT which uses port 30002 instead.
    The problems begin when people see the extra features available outside this and attempt to run both the feeder (without correct configuration beforehand realising it has direct hardware access) and other decoder apps at the same time. All sorts of data overlap and conflicts pop up.

    Basestation is decoded data in a text format that is decoded and looks something like MSG,0,1,2,3,4 etc
    For raw data you would check "binary" and for basestation you would check "normal"
    You probably are in the ballpark you just need the right message format
    I would also not use ADSBScope like above mentioned you're much better off with VRS, it keeps better logging, only drawback is it doesn't decode TIS-B (DF 18 CA 6)

    When I think about it I'll gather a few config examples up and make some flow charts to hopefully help people along. I find the best practice is to draw your stuff on paper first, work out the in/out ports each app has the ability to use, and draw a workflow.

    This is on the extreme level, but close to what I do at home

    http://sonicgoose.com/wp-content/upl...chart-REV1.png

  3. #23
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    T-KRFD1
    Posts
    43
    Not sure i understand all that last but doing everything I can do, it still does not feed to adsbscope.

    I am thinking that the clue to the problem is the fact that I can not access the local host except sometimes when I first load the program but then it crashes and will not do anything like save or restart or load again. Just an error message as stated above.

    I found the following which seems relevant.....


    Run tasklist from command prompt and note the process ID for Tomcat

    Run netstat -noa and look for the the process ID you noted above. The 2nd column should show you something like 0.0.0.0:xxxxx. If there is an entry here for the process ID for Tomcat then Tomcat is definitely listening for connections properly. If not, Tomcat's broken and you may need to reinstall it or dive into the Tomcat logs (since it seems to be running but not listening properly).

    There might be a few entries for the process ID, each giving a different port. Try them all because I believe you can forward one port to another in Tomcat.

    ...................

    tasklist brings up fr24 with a number when the program is running. If I terminate it, and restart, I get a different number.

    no such number shows up when I run the netstat -noa

    Some something is wrong according to this person but I haven't a clue what it all means. All I can do is follow instructions.

    BTW, I downloaded Virtual Radar thing and gagged at starting a new career to learn how to set it up.

    Jack

  4. #24
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    T-NZCH1, PP:PH New Zealand
    Posts
    5,028
    Quote Originally Posted by k9act View Post
    Not sure i understand all that last but doing everything I can do, it still does not feed to adsbscope.

    I am thinking that the clue to the problem is the fact that I can not access the local host except sometimes when I first load the program but then it crashes and will not do anything like save or restart or load again. Just an error message as stated above.

    I found the following which seems relevant.....


    Run tasklist from command prompt and note the process ID for Tomcat

    Run netstat -noa and look for the the process ID you noted above. The 2nd column should show you something like 0.0.0.0:xxxxx. If there is an entry here for the process ID for Tomcat then Tomcat is definitely listening for connections properly. If not, Tomcat's broken and you may need to reinstall it or dive into the Tomcat logs (since it seems to be running but not listening properly).

    There might be a few entries for the process ID, each giving a different port. Try them all because I believe you can forward one port to another in Tomcat.

    ...................

    tasklist brings up fr24 with a number when the program is running. If I terminate it, and restart, I get a different number.

    no such number shows up when I run the netstat -noa

    Some something is wrong according to this person but I haven't a clue what it all means. All I can do is follow instructions.

    BTW, I downloaded Virtual Radar thing and gagged at starting a new career to learn how to set it up.

    Jack
    Close, but no cigar. Whole different app and direction it is taking you.

    In the task manager, list them by name. And ensure there isn't a 2nd 'fr24feed' process running (a pc restart will also clear this). And also no instance of RTL1090 or similar apps running. What you describe is a conflict with same port being open twice (it cant work out how to handle it), or attempting to use HTTPS when it is not a secure mini webserver.

  5. #25
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    T-KRFD1
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    Close, but no cigar. Whole different app and direction it is taking you.

    In the task manager, list them by name. And ensure there isn't a 2nd 'fr24feed' process running (a pc restart will also clear this).
    Ah so! Task manager. Only one fr24feed there.


    > And also no instance of RTL1090 or similar apps running.

    Don't know what a similar app might be but this brings up another question.

    There is a thing called mr dump 1090 in there and it came in the fr24 zip file.

    Haven't a clue what this is but I ran it a few times to see if it had anything to do with the problem and I guess it is still there.

    What is this file?

    > What you describe is a conflict with same port being open twice (it cant work out how to handle it), or attempting to use HTTPS when it is not a secure mini webserver.

    Guess I don't know what that means or how to determine it.

    Thanks for the help again,

    Jack

  6. #26
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    T-NZCH1, PP:PH New Zealand
    Posts
    5,028
    That's the built in decoder i keep talking about. The feed software is just an uploader and webserver. How you configure it depends on if it talks to the hardware directly (not usb RTL) or launches that app to start the stick
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

  7. #27
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    T-KRFD1
    Posts
    43
    What does the last sentence in the below paragraph mean?

    dvbt - DVBT USB dongle connected directly via USB. Only one DVBT dongle can
    be used at a time. When using with stand alone dump1090 instance or another
    software defined radio demodulator please use the “avr-tcp” receiver type instead.

    I have spent most of the day reading and trying to understand the info out there but I simply can not get this thing to work.

    The fr24 feeder works fine and the data shows up on the "more info" web page but nothing I have tried will connect it to adsbscope. Nor can I access the "web status/config" page or local host.

    About to give up,

    Jack

  8. #28
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    T-NZCH1, PP:PH New Zealand
    Posts
    5,028
    Quote Originally Posted by k9act View Post
    What does the last sentence in the below paragraph mean?

    dvbt - DVBT USB dongle connected directly via USB. Only one DVBT dongle can
    be used at a time. When using with stand alone dump1090 instance or another
    software defined radio demodulator please use the avr-tcp receiver type instead.

    I have spent most of the day reading and trying to understand the info out there but I simply can not get this thing to work.

    The fr24 feeder works fine and the data shows up on the "more info" web page but nothing I have tried will connect it to adsbscope. Nor can I access the "web status/config" page or local host.

    About to give up,

    Jack
    Exactly that. If, when first configuring (or after) the fr24feed config page with "DVBT" as the chosen decoder typw, it will take exclusive use of the USB dongle by means of a modified dump1090 built in. Other apps will not work that attempt to do the same if run at the same time.

    There is RTL1090, Dump1090, ADSB# - all talk direct the hardware by default unless modified.

    What that is explaining, is if you WANT to use this other software for anything that need exclusive hardware access. They are better to to go BEFORE FR24feed to talk to the hardware, and the fr24 config reconfigured to a data source of AVR-TCP instead.

  9. #29
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    T-KRFD1
    Posts
    43
    Problem is that I have no idea what AVR-TCP is. Googling around, it seems to be piece of hardware based on an AVR chip but don't see what this has to to with my dongal and what I am trying to do with it.

    I clearly am no geek of any sort but I usually can get most of these sorts of projects going by working from manuals and user fora but this one just leaves me gasping for air.

    Surely someone could come up with a step by step process for a rank beginner.

    The "manual" is typical of stuff written by programmers who can not relate to anyone operating at any other level. Explaining jargon with jargon is just not very helpful.

    js

  10. #30
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    T-NZCH1, PP:PH New Zealand
    Posts
    5,028
    Quote Originally Posted by k9act View Post
    Problem is that I have no idea what AVR-TCP is. Googling around, it seems to be piece of hardware based on an AVR chip but don't see what this has to to with my dongal and what I am trying to do with it.
    The thing is the every day user as you point out don't need to be concerned with the symantics or jargon when setting up. Googling the words you don't understand won't likely make you understand it any better without reading other users current setup layouts and how they did it.

    However in this case it's a data source FR24feed is able to accept - just like the others in the list.

    Pre-decoded data in "AVR" from an application or device in format starting with *, @ :, via TCP - A network data transport source port instead of direct hardware

    Would it have helped if this was written in there? I doubt it as it is only mentioned to be used when there is a decoder ahead of the FR24 software. Which in this instance you are not attempting to setup.

    I clearly am no geek of any sort but I usually can get most of these sorts of projects going by working from manuals and user fora but this one just leaves me gasping for air.
    Unfortunately it's not designed for beginners if you go further than the basic guides provided (which hasn't been written by programmers that I can see) What needs to be known is there.
    The technology behind it and terms used don't normally need to be known for every day use. The second you do will lead to confusion and erroneous info.

    Buying the RTL sticks: easy
    Needing to install specific drivers: little more than easy
    Installing the FR24Feed using the guide and walking away: easy

    Wanting to add other programs to use the data outside of the basic setup: hard

    You have to remember the RTL release and guides are designed for people who like watching the website and want to contribute data to it where they see data is required. This is done by following the guide and installing the stick and software. That's it. Job Done
    - The second you move away from the basic setup to share data and move to the multitude of applications available for your own information out you are going deep and a higher level of understanding is assumed

    Surely someone could come up with a step by step process for a rank beginner.
    The thing is, There is no easy step by step when you leave the realm of basic Stick -> FE24feed and want to go something like Stick -> RTL1090/Dump1090/ADSB# -> Fr24 + adsbscope + VRS + Planeplotter

    Did you see the complexity of the image I posted for one websites setup? That's more or less a reality (I have 5 programs hanging off each other myself using a different method) unless you have hardware based decoders that take care of part of it, but that is why they cost a bit more.

    In the market that FR24 acknowledge there are at least 5 Pieces of hardware to receive the data that FR24feed can talk directly to
    There is about 8 separate software packages able to connect to each of these receivers directly also
    - Most of these can receive pre-decoded data from other apps that do so, including fr24feed
    - Of these at least 5 can also re-send pre-decoded data output in 2-4 different formats to the next

    Unfortunately there is no easy fix.

    As I pointed out, I am giving up some time to do a flowchart/guide when I can. But I doubt this in itself will be seen an easy guide. It relies on visualizing some basic logic dataflow and a grasp on configuration of all the different software out there to match the formats they accept.

    There's not a lot of point me going too mad, it will be like re-writing the guides on sonicgoose and the RTL1090 host webpage that already have visual guides for various setups. But again, they acknowledge there are a multitude of ways to do so.
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-06-17 at 03:57.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •