UAT decoding on 978 success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAT decoding on 978 success!

I used the program found here on github and managed to decode messages on 978 MHz using RTL-SDR dongle. I am in Reno, NV. I am feeding the output into Virtual Radar Server. Most of the messages are METAR and other uplink messages from KRNO (which don't show up in VRS), but once in a while an airplane position shows up. I captured one (see attached screencap) a few minutes ago. It appears with ICAO of 2B0656. Not sure if all planes will show up like that until another plane shows on the screen, they are very few and far between.
    UAT.png

I have received several more this morning, all ICAO begin "2B0xxx" and I'm not sure if it's possible to translate these into actual registrations.

Comment

Now I have a few planes to look at. They are recreational Vans RV planes flying around Reno-Stead municipal airport. One is using ADS-B the others I'm picking up via dump978, all start ICAO with "2B0xxx" and I'm unsure how to translate this into actual registrations, seems like the info has to be in there somewhere.

I corrected the "receiver" list so it accurately shows which is doing the decoding (VRS, ADSBScope, or Dump978)
      UATjoyride.png

Comment

I'm getting a mix of things. Some of these are showing up in Dump978 as regular ICAO, this is either ADS-R being retransmitted from 1090 or UAT is actually resolvable. Most of these are "2B0xxx" small planes ... good. A few I have found are both on UAT and Mode S 1090, I can figure those out going by altitude, so they are repeats on both systems. Getting an accurate count of how many individual planes will be difficult.

Comment

I assume the majority of what I'm picking up is Mode A/C and the 2B0xxx are random numbers coming from KRNO. Here's another good one though. I followed this plane out of KSFO from takeoff to the west edge of the Sierra Nevada on dump978, then lost it for a couple minutes, then reacquired the same plane on ADS-B 1090.
          UAT-to-ADSB-3.png

Comment

Can you run this simultaneously with dump1090, or does it require two dongles (I assume it requires two).... Can you feed it into the FlightRadar24 windows program?

Comment

dump978 is feeding VRS with ADS-B "AVR" style messages. I have modesdeco2 on 1090 on one dongle and dump978 on another computer feeding VRS via TCP. In turn, VRS feeds out to FR24 in BaseStation format, I am assuming this includes dump978's messages. I don't know if FR24 feeder can distinguish between the two since VRS is doing the conversion. Probably <5 percent of the 978 data has an actual ICAO identifier instead of the 2B0xxx I see most of the time.

Comment

I'm seeing the 2B0xxx IDs showing up on FR24, don't know if that's a problem, there are no registrations associated with these but fairly often they are ADS-R of a plane using 1090 Mode S, so on FR24 you'll see them overlapping if there is an MLat fix.

Comment

More interesting results with Dump978. I must have some knife-edge propagation going on with the Sierra Nevada. I'm in Reno on the east side of the mountains and I pick up a Chinese flight way off the coast of California 288 miles away and a FedEx taxi on the runway in Eureka 243 miles away. The antenna is an unamplified 12-element coco cut for 1090 and RTL-SDR tiny cube.

Knifeedge.png

Comment

Working...
                  X