Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Radarspotting

First officer

Aussie Radarspotting

Qantas Jumbo on RAAF callsign

I thought about posting this to the Aussie Feeders thread but it's really off topic there as it's got nothing to do with feeding FR24 so I've started this new thread that hopefully might get a bit of use for interesting items about Aussie planes and radar spotting in and around Australia.

Qantas B747 VH-OJI is currently on charter to the RAAF, having flown yesterday from Sydney to Brisbane to Darwin to Al Minhad Air Base in the UAE, presumably performing personnel transfer. Interestingly, it is using the RAAF callsign ASY11. If anyone is interested, it is scheduled to leave the UAE at 5.10pm AEST today, arriving in Darwin at 3.30am tomorrow. Al Minhad is a bit south of Dubai. I don't know if it showed up on FR24 over the Middle East as I was not watching but it was certainly visible beyond Darwin last night.

Wonder what the RAAF's big Airbuses were doing that caused the need for a charter? With those, the VIP planes, the KingAirs and even the C17s, the RAAF has more passenger-capable planes than many small airlines.

First officer

DC3 with ADS-B!

Spotted this Canadian registered DC-3 over southern Qld today. Would not be many DC3s with ADS-B. It is used for geophysical survey work and has been heavily modified, including turbo engines, according to this article:

http://www.aerocanada.com/bt-67/c-ft...7%20C-FTGI.htm

DC3.jpg

First officer

Terrific new feeder in NT

Occasionally a new feeder appears in an area where there has been nothing except T-EST dotted lines which I don't take seriously. Such a feeder is F-YDVR1. YDVR is supposedly at a place called Dockers River. I can find what looks like a mining camp but not an airstrip on Google Earth but no doubt one must exist. Dockers Creek is close to the WA border roughly west of Ayres Rock. The feeder may not actually be there as it provides very good coverage into a lot of NW South Australia as well as making it now possible to track aircraft on ADS-B continuously from Perth to Alice Springs. Hope F-YDVR hangs around and well done to whoever is hosting it in such a remote location.

EDIT. Probably should have posted this to the Aussie Feeders thread - mods feel free to move it if desired.
    Last edited by airnrail; 2015-06-16 at 07:00.

First officer

Virgin E-190 on teh way to Samoa

Virgin E190 VH-ZPT doing a rare international flight (charter?) from Brisbane to Apia today.

VOZ9901.jpg

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by airnrail View Post
    Occasionally a new feeder appears in an area where there has been nothing except T-EST dotted lines which I don't take seriously. Such a feeder is F-YDVR1. YDVR is supposedly at a place called Dockers River. I can find what looks like a mining camp but not an airstrip on Google Earth but no doubt one must exist. Dockers Creek is close to the WA border roughly west of Ayres Rock. The feeder may not actually be there as it provides very good coverage into a lot of NW South Australia as well as making it now possible to track aircraft on ADS-B continuously from Perth to Alice Springs. Hope F-YDVR hangs around and well done to whoever is hosting it in such a remote location.

EDIT. Probably should have posted this to the Aussie Feeders thread - mods feel free to move it if desired.
    Docker River is an aboriginal community about 5km on thr NT side of the WA/NT border. Theres a police station, clinic and a small school, and that's about it. There is a strip there (hence the ICAO code YDVR) mainly used by RFDS and charter flights. We're not sure who is running this feed as there really isn't much out there, but it certainly has improved coverage out west.

Geoff in the Alice
    T-YBAS1

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by geodementia View Post
    Docker River is an aboriginal community about 5km on thr NT side of the WA/NT border. Theres a police station, clinic and a small school, and that's about it. There is a strip there (hence the ICAO code YDVR) mainly used by RFDS and charter flights. We're not sure who is running this feed as there really isn't much out there, but it certainly has improved coverage out west.

Geoff in the Alice
    T-YBAS1
    G'Day Geoff. Thanks for the clarification re Docker's River. I see T-YBAS1 from time to time - you've got a little competition there in the Alice. Cheers. John

First officer
    Vanuatu Feeders Back

Good to see both the Vanuatu feeders back on the air: F-NVVV Port Vila and F-NVSS Luganville. The South Pacific island feeders (Vanuatu, Fiji, Noumea, Wallis/Futuna, Hawaii) provide a great service for those of us who watch aircraft travelling between North America and Oz/NZ. How good it would be to have a few more like Norfolk, Lord Howe, Samoa, Solomons.

First officer
    Interesting flight this afternoon from Brisbane to Sydney by Airbus A340-300 with Portuguese registration CS-TQY and using the call sign ASY25. In Australia, the callsign ASY is used by the RAAF for flights by transport aircraft. The plane is registered to the Portuguese charter airline Hi Fly. Ive commented here before that the RAAF has more passenger-capable aircraft than many small airlines but it still charters others from time to time, principally from Qantas. Now I believe that Qantas really is short of planes!

Super Moderator
    I recall seeing one doing similar in the past, seems it gets based out of Brisbane almost fulltime. http://ybbn.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/h...search-results

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    I recall seeing one doing similar in the past, seems it gets based out of Brisbane almost fulltime. http://ybbn.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/h...search-results
    Thanks for that - I must have missed seeing that post on the YBBN spotters blog.