Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Radarspotting

Captain
    Ballera feeder back on air

Good to see one of our remote feeders back on air - T-YLLE1 at Ballera Qld in the desert near the SA border. T-YLLE1 has not been visible since last December and together with F-YOOM1 (Moomba SA), F-YOLD1 (Olympic Dam SA) and T-YBHI2 (Broken Hill NSW) it provides very good coverage in that remote corner where three states meet. Ballera is quite difficult to find on the map - the Cobham Avro in the attached screen shot is right on the runway and I have also added a couple of labels for anyone who wants to find it.YLLE.jpg

Captain
    Dorniers leaving Chinchilla

Some years ago a bloke called Jim who posted for a while here as JustMe put up a particularly useful FR24 feeder that still operates (F-YBSU1) and one of the reasons he did it was to find out where a couple of Dornier Do228s were going to from Brisbane several times a day. The answer was Chinchilla where they were flying personnel from a resources company.

Well Jim if you happen to still read these forums, this is the last week for the Dorniers as they are being replaced next Monday by Dash8s operated by the reincarnated version of Skytrans. Bad news might be that no Skytrans Dashs ever had ADS-B and I'd be surprised if it has since been installed but these days MLAT coverage over that area is OK. BTW Skytrans now has as a major investor one Johnathan Thurston, Captain of the North Queensland Cowboys.

Captain
    Google Map of Victoria

Has anybody else noticed that the map of Victoria seems to have acquired an inordinate number of what I assume are highway tags when zoomed in to 20km? I think they are just useless clutter when compared to NSW in the attached screen shot. I prefer the road map view to all others because I'm more interested in the places where planes are than the terrain they are flying over.

While on the subject of Google maps, they have also recently removed the runways and taxiways from most non-metro airports in Australia and probably elsewhere as well. Wonder why? VicMap.jpg

Captain
    Coulson's L-100 Tanker #132 (N405LC) has arrived back in Australia. Tanker #132 arrived on September 6th.

Captain
    ADS-B Mandate in Australia

Attached is a link to an Airservices bulletin that some spotters may find interesting. From early 2017 all aircraft operating in Australia under IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) must be equipped with ADS-B. This includes smaller private singles and twins. Many operators of course will choose to only fly under Visual Flight Rules and this is permissible.

There are an increasing number of smaller aircraft showing up on FR24 that have ADS-B. As an aside though, QantasLink still have more than half of their Dash 8 fleet not fitted with ADS-B while Rex have just six out of 52 SAAB 340s without it.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...b/mythsbusted/

Super Moderator
    I see yall have a new Roo.

They reported it here, but made it appear it was to be on the 787. Not rolled out on a A330 _today_. Fail reporting there

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11736928

The font is... different.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    Lears acting as targets

Often see two Lear Jets acting as Air Force targets off the NSW coast but rarely three. The origin of all three was the Amberley RAAF base near Ipswich.
    ThreeLears.jpg
    Last edited by airnrail; 2016-11-16 at 05:37.

Captain
    Four Lears today

They'll soon be a squadron of them out there!
    FourLears.jpg

Captain
    Today there's s 5th Lear bringing up the rear

lears5.jpgLears4.jpg

Captain
    Heads up!

Coulson's C-130 N130FF Tanker 131 joining the sister ship(Tanker 132) in Australia this weekend. It will operate as Tanker 390 in Australia.
    The 84-day contract for T-131 begins December 15th.

Conairs RJ-85 N355AC (Tanker/Bomber 391 in Australia) arrived in Australia last week.