No announcement yet.

whats wrong when my feed is never used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats wrong when my feed is never used?

i am feeding since some days 24/7 and when i filter my radarname at http://www.flightradar24.com , no plane is apppearing.
    i tried that a lot of times.
    the feeder software shows me up to 150 planes. a few weeks ago always some planes were spotte from my radar.
    is it possible that my data is corrupt?
    i am using Linux/generic/armv7l/1.0.13-2 and a SPS-3 on a RasPi2.
    Last edited by LOWL1; 2015-05-26, 21:57.

Maybe you have others feed users near your location with best location reported so fr24 database don't consider yours uploads

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

from what i gathered all feeds are used, as for being displayed on the web page its a very hit and miss affair.

If your data is the most current when the server generates the web page it will be shown, or you have a unique aircraft that no one else is seeing. If there are lots of feeder around you the odds of this are low.

Also if there are any FR24 boxes (or radarcape or similar) close by you will struggle because they have accurate time stamped data (from GPS 1PPS) and this data is accurate to a few microseconds and will be very hard to beat (it is also more trusted).

You could try and get your Pi to use NTP updates more regularly to keep better time, or better yet turn it into a time server
      Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2015-05-29, 08:15.
      T-EGLF8

Comment

thanks i will try this out

Comment

Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
          You could try and get your Pi to use a NTP updates more regularly to keep better time, or better yet turn it into a time server
          Hi SpaxmoidJAm,

Interesting last point you made. I have an RPi Model B. Could my RPi turn into what you suggested? If so how? or would I be better off using my old SBS-1 instead of my RPi?

Cheers,
          T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
          Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
          Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

for making it a NTP time server using GPS here are some links for starters( first few hits from Google), it looks scary but if you read through it its not that bad.

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html
            http://ntpi.openchaos.org/pps_pi/
            http://open.konspyre.org/blog/2012/1...to-a-gps-unit/

This also means any other computer on your network can use it as a time source too.

As for using your old SBS-1 i'm not sure you would be better of certainly from the time point of view as it doesn't seem to use GPS (brief goggle search)

You'll have to do some searching to see if a DVB-T dongle (assuming hat what you now use with a pi) can out perform a SBS-1 or do you use your SBS-1 which is then connected to a PI which feeds?

I would think however that a SBS-1 should outperform a DVB-T because of the filtering. If you can run them side by side into virtual radar server and see.
            Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2015-05-29, 08:16.
            T-EGLF8

Comment

i'm using a SBS-3 and a raspberry pi2. external antenna on the top of my roof.
              i have tryed a dvb-t stick and got only 1/4 of the planes so SBS-3 is needed.
              i am receiving about 150 planes at daytime.
              i checktout my ntp servers with "ntpq -p" and found this:
              remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
              ================================================== ============================
              -co1.net4you.net 193.171.23.163 2 u 160 256 377 32.028 5.080 0.532
              +mail.somenet.or 178.189.127.148 2 u 212 256 377 12.304 0.651 1.094
              +ts1.aco.net .PPS. 1 u 82 256 377 11.547 1.427 0.276
              *ts2.aco.net .PPS. 1 u 148 256 377 12.289 1.168 2.048

12ms delay and 1.2ms offset to my RPi system clock, i think its not bad, but maybe too bad vor feeding.
              i will try an gps module with 1ppm funktion and look what is happening.

thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
                for making it a NTP time server using GPS here are some links for starters( first few hits from Google), it looks scary but if you read through it its not that bad.

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html
                http://ntpi.openchaos.org/pps_pi/
                http://open.konspyre.org/blog/2012/1...to-a-gps-unit/

This also means any other computer on your network can use it as a time source too.

As for using your old SBS-1 i'm not sure you would be better of certainly from the time point of view as it doesn't seem to use GPS (brief goggle search)

You'll have to do some searching to see if a DVB-T dongle (assuming hat what you now use with a pi) can out perform a SBS-1 or do you use your SBS-1 which is then connected to a PI which feeds?

I would think however that a SBS-1 should outperform a DVB-T because of the filtering. If you can run them side by side into virtual radar server and see.
                Thanks for all your help. That gave me a headache reading all that lol.

However, what I have done, is, I checked the ntptime on my Pi and it showed the time to be accurate to the second in UTC. I then downloaded and installed a program called Chrony (sudo apt-get install chrony), which has two programs in it; 1. Chronyc and 2. Chronyd. When I ran chronyc, it showed my Pi time was 0.000000488 seconds fast of NTP time (see screenshot image) and Chronyd starts straight away after install and speeds up the time difference with faster seconds than normal and bring my time 0.0 of NTP and will keep that constantly up-to-date. It saves constantly going into the config file an manually changing the time.

I'll see how this goes for now to see if it makes any difference to my timings.

Anything to save money haha.

Thanks again :-)

chronyc.jpg
                Last edited by Responder; 2015-05-29, 22:35.
                T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
                Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
                Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

i use chrony on a beagle-bone, one thing for sure it cant make anything any worse timing wise.
                  T-EGLF8

Comment

now its working again, but i don't know why.

situation:
                    SBS-3 receiver from kinetic avionics
                    raspberry pi2, latest feeding software from the first page of this thread.
                    connected via GB-switch ethernet
                    connection to internet 150/20Mbit/s
                    webserver of feeding software showed lots of planes feedet (about 150 and more)
                    but no data was used when i filtered T-LOWL1 at http://www.flightradar24.com
                    i was watching lots of time, no change.
                    installed a gps ntp stratus 0 server on my Pi with adafruit gps HAT module - nothing changed.

what i have done today:
                    installed fr24feeder on my macbook air on bootcamp windows.
                    connected to my SBS-3 ... and it worked, after a minute about 2-5 planes are shown on the filtered http://www.flightradar24.com page.
                    ?????
                    installed feeeder software on macbook .. worked too... more "???"
                    tried again to use the mac feeding software on my iMac that didn't worked before.
                    worked too .... and now tried again with my RaspberryPi as feeding device.
                    ALSO WORKING .. a lot of questionmarks ...
                    i think the connection from windows OS did something at the fr24 receiving server(s).

edit:
                    next day ...
                    no filtered planes again
                    still no idea - i'll give up
                    Last edited by LOWL1; 2015-06-07, 07:38.

Comment

Working...
                    X