Landing - Aircraft too high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing - Aircraft too high

I am using Flightradar 24 on my Huawei phone. In every instance where a 'plane is about to land. it is demonstrably too high and it flies down the runway at a height. Is there anything I can do to correct this ?

Mervo44,
    Which airport? It would probably help those who wish to assist you if they could take a look at it. There used to be a feature on the map to 'Animate Aircraft' which could have a bearing on landing aircraft but it looks to have been removed in the current version. At some airports it can depend on how many receivers are able to track the aircraft to the runway and where those aircraft may be 'lost' from view. My understanding is that there is some 'projection' of an aircraft's path at this point which may be at elevation above the runway in your case and what you are seeing. To be certain we need some more detail. It likely has nothing to do with your phone or any device being used to view FR24.

Regards,
    gregg
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thank you for your response. The Airport is Adelaide, South Australia. If I can, I'll do a video and send it to you.

Comment

Mervo44,

OK mate, thanks. Ill take a peek when I'm able.

Regards,
        Gregg

Edit:

I've been watching arriving and departing aircraft at Adelaide for a short period on the FR24 map on my laptop and they appear normal (at least within the limits of our equipment/software and the FR24 servers/software). The following may help explain why there may be some discrepancies in what we see on the map:

"Almost all aircraft are equipped with altitude encoders connected to the transponder, regardless of whether or not it's mode-S.

There are two types of encoders; A blind encoder which is calibrated to 1013.2 mb and sends the pressure altitude accordingly; and an encoding altimeter, which works out the difference between the pressure setting set on the instrument and 1013.2 mb and does a translation from the displayed altitude to pressure altitude (1013.2) before sending it to the transponder. Essentially the data sent to the transponder is the same (pressure altitude based on 1013.2mb) but the encoding altimeter is more accurate.

The software controlling the radar displays in an ATC centre will perform the appropriate translation of the aircraft target label based by taking into account the QNH. Since the aircraft is sending pressure altitude (1013.2 mb) the actual altitude displayed on the radar screen is adjusted in software to show the actual altitude based on the QNH in force at the time -- if the aircraft is expected to fly at an altitude as opposed to a flight level...) This is one of the reasons that the actual radar display tag will show F or A next to the level. ("F050, or A035 for example"). It facilitates the work for the controllers rather than telling an aircraft to descend to altitude 3000 feet (on QNH) but seeing a different level on the radar screen because it's the pressure altitude...

This is going to be an inherent limitation to the SBS-1 because it will not be aware of the current pressure at any given location, and so cannot perform this translation".

I am by so means an expert in this area but it may be that the 'displayed' altitude of an aircraft may be impacted by the hardware/software combination of the particular receiver which is capturing the aircraft at the time it is displayed on the map, particularly near the ground. I've noted departing aircraft at Adelaide seem to be affected more than arriving aircraft but that may be due simply to location of the receiver. I use an SBS-1 here in SYD and do notice some slight discrepancies in altitude. Heading is another issue as our receivers don't take Magnetic Variation into account so if you listen to ATC an aircraft may be given a heading by ATC to follow and it wont match exactly (depending on region of the world) with what you see on the receiver/FR24. Mine are all approx. 13 degrees out due to the Mag Var.

Hope this helps
        Last edited by fungus; 2015-04-28, 04:53. Reason: additional info
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks, Fungus. Here is a video of a landing at Adelaide Airport. As you can see, it's too high. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25L_cq4TMA

Comment

The problem, Fungus, is that it occurs with every aircraft.

Comment

The other problem I have Fungus, is that when I open Flightradar 24 on my PC. When I want to look at a 3d view, it tells me I have to install a 3D plug in. When I do this, It fails and I get a message saying "The installer encountered an error 1603" Because of this, I can't view 3d on my PC. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Mervo44 View Post
                The problem, Fungus, is that it occurs with every aircraft.
                Mervo44,

That little bit of detail makes the world of difference having watched the vid and now I understand you're referring to 'cockpit view.' I've been chasing my tail for a while now on the wrong road. Cockpit view isn't meant to be 'real' as it were but to give a 'sense' of the view from the cockpit again within the limitations of the data and software we have available. It wont take you to the runway anywhere in the world. If you like, it's like an added extra, or 'bonus' feature. It's great for what it is though even with its limitations. If you need the reasons for this or extra explanation of it you'll need to contact admin or support, or wait for somebody with more knowledge about that particular subject than I.

Re your post, it does help to give as much specific information in the initial post as is possible.

As for the 3D plug in, make sure you are installing the correct one. There is a google earth and a google earth plug-in (from memory- I installed mine a long time ago and it works fine). There is also a thread on the forum about this subject if you use the search function. Anyhow, back to the chat for me.

Regards,
                Gregg
                Last edited by fungus; 2015-04-28, 04:01.

Comment

Working...
                X