discone aerial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discone aerial

hi just ordered a dvb-t stick but can i use a discone aerial in my loft instead of the small aerial it comes with cheers

You can, but it won't work well. A discone is a wide frequency coverage antenna: it doesn't work well, but it does it over a large bandwidth. Some antennas sold as discones aren't proper discones anyway: they have a whip antenna in the middle to boost performance on a narrower frequency range.

In the loft isn't ideal, particularly if your roof contains metal. Mine has a wire mesh that supports the thermal insulation.

If you want to receive 1090MHz you'd get better results with a resonant antenna, outdoors. If you're handy with a soldering iron, build a multi-element colinear. Fit it inside a length of plastic electrical conduit, seal the top to keep the water out, and you have an effective and low-cost antenna that will work well.

Comment

thanks keithj im handy but dont have a clue with antenna,link to what i need would be good ,cheers

Comment

There's a very long antenna thread in here, with a lot of chat about different types. As a radio amateur of long experience and a lazy soandso, I built a colinear (took me under an hour) and it works well.

You can get an idea from http://www.balarad.net/
        I used a similar design, but soldered the joints. It may be possible to buy one, I don't know.
        If you put it outdoors, put it inside a length of plastic wiring conduit and seal the top to keep the rain out.

Comment

Hi if you place an antenna inside a pvc radome, the near effect of the pvc will de-tune it and it will need to be re-tuned once inside the pvc.
          Mike

Comment

Theoretically, maybe. What effect will it have in reality?

I'm not talking anything as posh as a radome: this is to keep the rain out of the joints.

Comment

Working...
            X