Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting on the attic okay?

Good evening

I want to buy a Radarcape with an active Active Diapason antenna.
    We've a tile roof, so, how much singnal strenght will I loose when mounting the antenna on the attic?
    Actually I don't see a way to mount the antenna on the roof, because we've no lightning conductor .

Any input would be appreciated.

Other question (don't want to open an new thread because of this short question): Is there a way to see, if an additional radar would improve accuracy or help in another way?

I'm near ZRH/LSZH (about 4km southwest).

Best, Mete

Before i fitted a pole to the side of the house to get my antenna outside i used to run mine in the attic.

Obviously the range wont be as good as it could be. In my case it knocked somewhere around 100Km of maximum range and probably about a quarter of aircraft seen i was still picking stuff at around 200-250km that was with a normal antenna on a radarcape. So it worked pretty well still.

You could always in the future improve your antennas position.

as for seeing if you would improve coverage in your are is tricky, only fr24 can really tell you. However being a radarcape it will be able to add to the MLAT coverage which is always a good thing.
    Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2015-03-15, 08:50.
    T-EGLF8

Comment

Originally posted by mete View Post
      Good evening

Actually I don't see a way to mount the antenna on the roof, because we've no lightning conductor .

Any input would be appreciated.

I'm near ZRH/LSZH (about 4km southwest).

Best, Mete
      In the UK very few people have lightning conductors on their houses, however we all have big aluminium or steel poles strapped to the chimney stack with assorted TV and radio antennae's, (some of us nutters also have ADSB and FLARM colinears as well!) it only seems to be the ham radio enthusiasts with their large arrays that worry about lightning conductors.
      The prevailing consensus here is that grounding would increase the risk of a strike, the risk of being struck seems to be very low unless you are in a very exposed position on high ground.
      In most places there are churches, flats, shopping centres, electricity pylons etc... close by that have conductors on them and make far better targets than your roof.
      Ben.
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Working...
      X