• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ylis:

Spider 4 radials

Spider 8 radials

Comment

• Thank you abcd567

In summary - not much difference at all using 4 or 8 radials .... or have I misread something ?

ylis

Comment

• Originally posted by ylis View Post
        In summary - not much difference at all using 4 or 8 radials .... or have I misread something ?
        (1) You read the simulation results right, but this little difference of gain (about 0.25 dB) may help in picking planes at the outer reach whose signal strength is marginal.

(2) The real test is to make a Spider with 4 radials, observe for some period the message rate, plane count, maximum distance, then add 4 radials to make it 8 radials, and observe for some periods the message eate, plane count, maximum distance. This will show the real-world difference. Most hobbyists have reported 10% to 20% improvement when switched from 4 radials to 8 radials.

Comment

• I'm currently testing my 9 segment coco vs 8 leg spider. For my location (I live on the 4th storey) I've about 35 readings per plane using coco, 31 using spider. When I lifted my spider one storey up I reached the number readings as in the coco placed one storey lower. Tomorrow I will test the coco lifted one level up
          T-EPLL59

Comment

• @ylis:
            8 legs for spiders is nature's choice

spider 8 legs.jpg spider 8 leg - 2.jpg spider 8 leg -3.jpg spider 8 leg -4.jpg
            Last edited by abcd567; 2018-04-22, 22:29.

Comment

• Ahhh !!! I doff me cap to your wisdom and wit ..............

ylis

Comment

• I wonder what would happen if I'd add a spider at the last (highest) segment of coco. Anyone tested this?
                T-EPLL59

Comment

• Since here is a lot of talk about spider antennas I hope that someone can help me with a practical question.
                  Is there any drawback (or maybe advantage) if I mount a spider antenna (built around a uhf chassis connector) to a metal pole? Ground part of the antenna would be in contact with the pole.

Has anyone done any testing conductive pole vs a non-conductive pole?

Comment

• For testing purposes if it's really worth spending the time i created today my own Spider based on the option #3 keeping it cheap and simple.

Below is a picture of the antenna. Please do not laugh, it looks like made of a three year old kid

But it works!
                    The aircraft rate is constantly above 100 now over the day which is an increase of approx 10-20%

In detail, you can easily identify the moment where i connected the antenna:

spider1.jpg
                    spider3.jpg

and the beauty itself
                    spider2.jpg

Now it's the time for doing a more professional version.

Thanks to abcd567 for your suggestions and tutorials!

Comment

• Hello! cantenna worked for me, but with the FA filter, i will test with other options.

thank you for all abcd567

Comment

• Hi,

I built an 8-legged spider antenna as well as a Cantenna to try to improve my range and to replace the dvb-t antenna.
                        I installed the spider in the attic. Got range up to 164nm and close to my maximum.
                        Today I wanted to see if an outside installation could improve the results.
                        So I put the Cantenna on a 4m piece of wood und tried.
                        Results were amazing. Range to the East now is up to 185nm (before about 130nm), rest is nearly equal to the inside spider.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Mephisto; 2020-04-28, 14:46.

Comment

• Interesting antenna guys, looks like an easy project. Love the spired antenna idea made out of UHF Female SO239 Connector https://connectvk.com.au/product/uhf...-pannel-mount/

Comment

Working...
                          X