Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Examples of Outdoor Installation of Cantenna

Comment

@abcd567, yes! I think that 1 or 2 meters higher will help and is not hard to do! Let's see! Besides, today arrived from China (AliExpress) a antenna that i bought by 3US$! I'll let VR do the range plot and see if its better than the original one that come with the dvb-t! I'll test in the other Radar, the T-SBCT6 that are inside my house!

This is the antenna!
      IMG_3555.jpg
      T-SBCT5/T-SBCT6

Comment

SOME MORE EXAMPLES OF OUTDOOR INSTALLATION OF CANTENNA

Comment

Originally posted by dudesjp View Post
          @abcd567, yes! I think that 1 or 2 meters higher will help and is not hard to do! Let's see! Besides, today arrived from China (AliExpress) a antenna that i bought by 3US$! I'll let VR do the range plot and see if its better than the original one that come with the dvb-t! I'll test in the other Radar, the T-SBCT6 that are inside my house!

This is the antenna!
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]7160[/ATTACH]
          I also purchased similar antenna for $5 (price+shipping) from eBay last month. Not so good as advertised.
          The the original one that come with the dvb-t, when cut to 52 mm, proved better, Click here: Post #8, Optimize the Whip Antenna Which Is Supplied With DVB-T Dongle

Also see this one:
          Click here: My post in Flightaware Forum

Comment

This has been a great read always veered off making antennas as I'm new to this stuff.

Made my first cantenna last night think I need to do it again as the tin is just shy of 69mm.
            Last edited by andrewh_85; 2016-03-16, 13:19.

Comment

@andrewh_85:
              1) Few mm more or less in tin height is not critical.
              2) Reducing height of whip by 2 to 3 mm i.e making whip height 66 or 67 mm instead of 69 mm gives some noticeable improvement. This is due to the phenomenon called "end effect" which causes this.

Comment

Cheers abcd567 will give it another go and see how I get on.

Comment

I made my first spider and will put it to the roof asap. Actually I am using a modified DVB antenna in the attic under the insulated roof: removed the whip, soldered a copper to a nut and attached to the antenna foot so that I have the recommended 52 mm, respecting the "antenna" inside the foot.
                  Next:
                  2016-03-18_0929.jpg
                  Old (you can see the pole on the right side that is going through the roof for SAT antenna where my spider will also be attached to):
                  P1040690.jpg
                  JRF: T-EDNY19
                  South Germany

Comment

@jrf:
                    Nice to see your innovation. You are the first one I know who has used a F barrel connector (F female - F female) with a rectangular plate, instead of SO239 or N connector.

Using a 52mm copper wire soldered to a nut with the whip antenna is also very innovative.

The other alternative was to cut the original whip to 52mm, as shown in my post #8 in the thread "Optimize the Whip Antenna Which Is Supplied With DVB-T Dongle". CLICK HERE

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-03-18, 20:38.

Comment

I just built a J Antenna, from a piece of 2,5mm˛ cooper wire.
                      It was very easy to build. It is now taped on the window and works much better than the T, that I have built before.
                      The nice thing with that antenna, is that it shortcuts all low frequencies very well.
                      That is important since the reciever is broad-banded.

Comment

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
                        I just built a J Antenna, from a piece of 2,5mm˛ cooper wire.
                        It was very easy to build. It is now taped on the window and works much better than the T, that I have built before.
                        The nice thing with that antenna, is that it shortcuts all low frequencies very well.
                        That is important since the reciever is broad-banded.
                        Make a Spider or Cantenna (see beginning of this thread), and you will find these two much better than J-Pole.

For indoor use, Cantenna is particularly good & easy to make, and unlike Spider, it does not require any special connectors like SO239 & PL259.
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2016-03-20, 00:53.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                          Make a Spider or Cantenna (see beginning of this thread), and you will find these two much better than J-Pole.

For indoor use, Cantenna is particularly good & easy to make, and unlike Spider, it does not require any special connectors like SO239 & PL259.
                          Got my Cantenna made and indoors its giving me an extra 20 miles over the stock antenna.

Wish I had made it before ordering a antenna lol

Comment

Spider put to work. Let's wait for results: VRS. Known Limits: montainous environment, European Alps to the South, a hill nearby with a castle to the West.
                            P1040693.jpgP1040694.jpgP1040696.jpg
                            South Germany

Comment

The spider or the cantennas are nothing else than a 1/4 λ ground plane with a maximum gain of 1.
                              The J antenna is a 5/8 λ which gets ideally 3dB more.

It has moreover the advantage of being electrically shortcuted and rejects pretty well all low frequencies.
                              The construction is very easy, just bend a piece of 2,5mm˛ copperwire and solder the coax cable.
                              The balun can be made of the same coax cable (original cable) which eliminates all connector losses.
                              The Raspi is (here together with a sound metering station) is housed waterproof in an IP65 casing
                              Here the photograph without cover and mounted for testing in front of a window.
                              The next step is to put the J antenna in a piece of 16mm PVC pipe and to put everything on a terrace close to the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
                                The spider or the cantennas are nothing else than a 1/4 λ ground plane with a maximum gain of 1.
                                The J antenna is a 5/8 λ which gets ideally 3dB more.
                                How is the J pole regarding the full 360 degrees circle?
                                What would one do if the antenna is not taped to a window but to be put on to the roof?
                                South Germany

Comment

Working...
                                X