Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

Quote Originally Posted by lockon View Post
    which software are you using to capture the polar diagram? I'd like to run some tests but have no other quantitative way to make measurements.
    Thank you
    Virtual Radar Server on my Windows Desktop.

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/

I can connect it to any of my receivers (DVB-T RTL USB Dongles) inserted into any computer on my home network (Desktop, Laptop & Raspberry Pi).

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    Virtual Radar Server on my Windows Desktop.

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/

I can connect it to any of my receivers (DVB-T RTL USB Dongles) inserted into any computer on my home network (Desktop, Laptop & Raspberry Pi).
    I am using FR24 supplied equipment, this supplies data from the receiver directly to the router, is it possible to use Virtual Radar with this?

Yes

In VRS enter IP of FR24 box,port 30034 for raw or 30003 for basestation.
    here is example for raw. Replace X.XX in IP with your box IP
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    For official support use Contact Form

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    Yes

In VRS enter IP of FR24 box,port 30034 for raw or 30003 for basestation.
    here is example for raw. Replace X.XX in IP with your box IP
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    Hi Amper I had just got it configured using the IP of the FR24 Receiver and using port 80.. I selected port 80 initially as the feed is not directly into the PC, seems to be working OK, the plots appear to match what I am seeing on the FR24 Feed data and it is actually giving me better feedback on how the Antenna is working as now I can see the distances, locations, etc. overlaid on Google Map...

I will make a note of the configs you suggested and have a play around with it to see what gives me the best output on the screen.

Many thanks.

Passenger
    Hi, abcd567, could you inform us about the specs of the amplifier that you've mentioned? Is that an standard digital TV amplifier?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T-SBAQ3 View Post
    Hi, abcd567, could you inform us about the specs of the amplifier that you've mentioned? Is that an standard digital TV amplifier?

This is a standard Satellite TV Amplifier, generally frequency range 950 to 2050 MHz, with different values of gain such as 18 , 20 or 30 dB.
    Photos of few example amplifiers are given below for your guidance, but there are many more available in market.
    I recommend you search eBay.com and Amazon.com using search key words "Satellite TV Amplifier", and you will get a big list of amplifiers from which to choose.

s-l500.jpg s-l500.jpg s-l500.jpg Amplifier Paladin Tools .jpg 61AbCYQ821L._SX522_.jpg
    Last edited by abcd567; 2015-10-29 at 14:34.

Passenger
    Thank you!! I'll try one of these models!

Passenger
    Two more questions:
    1) what would be desirable cable length in order to avoid signal saturation?
    2) looking at the pictures that you posted I can see on the amplifiers labels that Is necessary to feed/inject DC power, but I can't see the power inlet? Is the power supplied by the receiver? I have a DVBT, is it aproprieted?

Thanks a lot, I'm really a beginner on this!

Quote Originally Posted by T-SBAQ3 View Post
    Two more questions:
    1) what would be desirable cable length in order to avoid signal saturation?
    2) looking at the pictures that you posted I can see on the amplifiers labels that Is necessary to feed/inject DC power, but I can't see the power inlet? Is the power supplied by the receiver? I have a DVBT, is it aproprieted?

Thanks a lot, I'm really a beginner on this!
    DC power to Amplifier is supplied over the same coax which carries the 1090 Mhz signal from antenna to receiver. You will need a ac/dc adapter and a power inserter. Please see sketch below:

Arrangement with amplifier

Arrangement without amplifier

Flight attendant
    Here's my adaptation of the cantenna design; from memory it was a can of pineapple pieces before it became an antenna

Diameter is 80mm, sides are 90mm. Probably not the most ideal dimensions but seems to work OK.

SMA bulkhead connector on top, cable exits via the 16mm plastic conduit supporting it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rodeo; 2015-10-30 at 12:42.
    T-YSBK22