No more FLARM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more FLARM?

I just noticed that there is no more FLARM data visible on FR24.
    Is this on purpose or will it return?

dont know if it will back but the open glider network is having some trouble with the people that make the commercial flarm kit saying that they are using propitiatory code to decode. So they getting all upset about it. I'm sure there is someone with more knowledge on the matter.
    T-EGLF8

Comment

Unfortunately FlarmNet who run the previously open database that OGN used for tying Flarm ID's to glider registrations has without warning changed their conditions (they are financially supported by, but 'separate' from Flarm).
      They now won't let OGN access the data and incorrectly accused OGN of illegally accessing their OPEN database!!!
      FR24 will not show gliders without their registration, they can still be seen on Glidernet, however each glider is assigned a temporary random ID for privacy reasons.
      Things may well get worse at the end of March as the mandatory update for Flarm transponders will change the encryption and it is not clear if OGN will still be able to track them.
      If this is the case then we will have to hope that the OGN tracker that is being developed is a success.
      Ben.

NB this also means we can no longer track the BBMF who announced that they had installed Flarm so the public could track them!
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

I understand. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Comment

A lot of FLARM over The Netherlands since a few days:
          The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

We are discussing with different partners to include as much FLARM data as possible despite the problems described in F-EGLF1's post.

Comment

Feeding FLARM into FR24

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              We are discussing with different partners to include as much FLARM data as possible despite the problems described in F-EGLF1's post.
              Hi Mike,
              our gliding season will start (hopefully) soon. Our club has installed FLARM's in our gliders and we wish to show them on FR24.
              Please let me know how to proceed (I'm not very good with computers and also new to FR24).

Thank you in advance
              Rainer
              F-LFBK1 (in the center of France)

Comment

Originally posted by Velivole View Post
                Hi Mike,
                our gliding season will start (hopefully) soon. Our club has installed FLARM's in our gliders and we wish to show them on FR24.
                Please let me know how to proceed (I'm not very good with computers and also new to FR24).

Thank you in advance
                Rainer
                F-LFBK1 (in the center of France)
                Hopefully I am not upsetting Mike by jumping in here, my understanding as a feeder to the Open Glider Network is that they will only pass on data to FR24 (and other tracking services such as PP) if the gliders are registered in the OGN database (and DON'T have the no-track bit set!), therefore the best thing you could do is to register all your clubs FLARM's on their database. Have a look at the OGN wiki site for more details,

Otherwise the gliders will only be visible on the live.glidernet.org and KTrax pages with randomly generated id's.
                FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                  Unfortunately FlarmNet who run the previously open database that OGN used for tying Flarm ID's to glider registrations has without warning changed their conditions (they are financially supported by, but 'separate' from Flarm).
                  ...(
                  It is months ago, this happend. And it is more likely a european (at least a german) understanding of data privacy causing the change than FlarmNet having changed use conditions on their database. Thus, open glidernet abandoned the use of FlarmNet DB and raised a database by their own. If you put data there, obviously you are willing to let your tracking data being published. So this is a clean situation with open glidernet having reacted to a hotheaded discussion (at least in germany) rather than Flarmnet having "...without warning changed their conditions..."

Comment

Originally posted by rueckwaertsflieger View Post
                    It is months ago, this happend. And it is more likely a european (at least a german) understanding of data privacy causing the change than FlarmNet having changed use conditions on their database. Thus, open glidernet abandoned the use of FlarmNet DB and raised a database by their own. If you put data there, obviously you are willing to let your tracking data being published. So this is a clean situation with open glidernet having reacted to a hotheaded discussion (at least in germany) rather than Flarmnet having "...without warning changed their conditions..."
                    If you look at the posting date that post was a year ago! This was when everything was getting rather messy, it was after this happened that OGN set up their database, and I stand by what I posted, Flarmnet gave no prior notice of this change!
                    However you are probably right that it was precipitated by some outspoken (mostly German) pilots with privacy worries, the new database has solved this problem by being opt-in.
                    However this is all ancient history now and does not need to be dragged up again.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                      ... that post was a year ago!...the new database has solved this problem by being opt-in.
                      However this is all ancient history now and does not need to be dragged up again.
                      OK, new posts on old threads always are a trap on the way. Sometimes we step in. Yes I agree, the problem itself is solved meanwhile.

Comment

Working...
                      X