Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible to see feeder locations when I'm not a feeder?

This data is NOT used for official air traffic control so no safety issue there if turned all off.
    For official support use Contact Form

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    here is all you need...all gaps and positions where receivers are needed
    http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but this listing as regards Australia and Oceania is not been updated for years - most of those places in WA now have feeders and as regards Perth where it is shown as a specific exclusion, FR24 receivers continue to be placed there. In Oceania, apart from Australia and New Zealand, the only places with some coverage are New Caledonia, Vanuatu, PNG and Wallis/Futuna - there are many others that would be useful eg Norfolk Island, Lord Howe, Samoa, Solomons.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    This data is NOT used for official air traffic control so no safety issue there if turned all off.
    So it's just used to update the plane position on the FR24 map and nothing else?

That is correct
    For official support use Contact Form

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by donde1 View Post
    So it's just used to update the plane position on the FR24 map and nothing else?
    Correct. Hobbiest service that is a convenient byproduct of a legitimate system installed in aircraft to stop them bumping into each other. We simply 'sniff' on the side of this information and it is plotted in a central location for everyone to see.

Although not official or guaranteed accurate, many airports/airlines/ground crew use it on their devices, for public entertainment, or to get accurate locations when they do not have direct access to proper official sources like they have in customs offices etc.

/edit snap Amper

Passenger
    Very good. I'm sure now I was a bit naive in thinking the FR24 feeds were a Plan B or even Z for ATC. Well, maybe Z !
    I'll still keep sending ADB-S as best I can.

Passenger
    I think using a completely open and unencrypted protocol like ads-b in life critical situations would be a bit crazy. But as a general interest/hobby, it's fun
    toString - London, UK
    FR24 - T-EGLC55 / PiAware - toString / PlaneFinder - 9008
    Raspberry Pi B+ | Keedox DVB-T USB RTL-SDR [RTL2832U+R820T] | Stock Antenna

Passenger
    Well said, Passenger from England. My thinking before was very much flawed. I might not have been the only one. Everyone, keep on feeding the good stuff !