Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to see feeder locations when I'm not a feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to see feeder locations when I'm not a feeder?

Hi

Is it possible to see feeder locations even though I'm not a feeder myself?

I have a lot of friends and family around the world, so perhaps if there was a black spot around their area, I could perhaps persuade them to be a hoster...

Thank you in advance

Nope, it's not even a feature for those who do feed.

Simply because its a voluntary system, the coverage changes by the minute with people turning them off/on and other reasons.

So for simplicity, the locations are not known.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      But perhaps not feeder location down to meters, but just some coverage with colours for good, medium and bad like its known mobile phone companies. Then it would be easy to spot gaps that could be filled out - more detailed than just the "we look for feeders in xxxxxx".

Comment

Uncomparable.

Phone companies know coverage as their tower locations are fixed, at height, on 24/7 and know the terrain. Not the case with people that move devices around the house and or neighbourhood where external things as trees and buildings affect ~300nm of space in a small area.

The best you can do is zoom out of a map, and keep an eye on the area to see if there are any dead spots.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I know this can't be a 100% map of how things are - but still there should be some data where flightradar24 know what areas are well covered and some are bad or not at all... Based on where there is plane feedback from.
          If its easy accessable and transferable to a coverage map of some sort, is a different thing

Comment

Originally posted by tjr86 View Post
            I know this can't be a 100% map of how things are - but still there should be some data where flightradar24 know what areas are well covered and some are bad or not at all... Based on where there is plane feedback from.
            If its easy accessable and transferable to a coverage map of some sort, is a different thing
            Of course it's known otherwise FR24 would not know where to allocate new feeders although I still question the logic behind some placements. But the information is not shared and nor do I expect it will be.

Comment

coverage map feeder location etc discussed too many a times.

Here is some links for your reading:

I thought i would bite the bullet and start off a much needed thread. Use this thread for chatting about coverage, feeding Flightradar24 or anything else related to Feeding. But not for reporting new feeders spotted as that is covered here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/3851-New-Feeder-Spotted but you can chat about

I thought i would bite the bullet and start off a much needed thread. Use this thread for chatting about coverage, feeding Flightradar24 or anything else related to Feeding. But not for reporting new feeders spotted as that is covered here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/3851-New-Feeder-Spotted but you can chat about

might not give you a solution but hope this helps.

Comment

here is all you need...all gaps and positions where receivers are needed
                The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
                For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                  coverage map feeder location etc discussed too many a times.

Here is some links for your reading:

might not give you a solution but hope this helps.
                  Thanks for that - that was the kind of things I was looking for

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    Nope, it's not even a feature for those who do feed.

Simply because its a voluntary system, the coverage changes by the minute with people turning them off/on and other reasons.

So for simplicity, the locations are not known.

I've been feeding FR24 data for a few weeks now, pretty much 24/7. This thread has been very interesting. Now I understand more the huge complexity to satisify requests of the FR24 volunteers. However, knowing that we are really helping is important to us. As an example, if every volunteer in the Los Angeles area turned their equipment off for a week, would this lack of data really impact the safety of the airplanes for this period? I understand this info would never be divulged. I suppose we are just adding to the safety of an already fairly safe federal or country aviation communication system worldwide. Being a volunteer gives a person a good feeling to he or she is helping.

I do think Flightradar24 should indicate their thanks to the volunteers in an open letter. It could state in general terms stating the need of volunteers and how they are really helping. And maybe they could add some thanks to us. I understand many others are just looking at the map on the web site, It's interesting or fun for them. This OK too. I also think we are not just setting up our equipment to save the monthly subscription costs. Most of us are serious. I use a Raspberry Pi to feed data. I would gladly replace a part if it failed, so I could continue to be of service. I'm also a ham radio operator. Most in our fraternity love to do this sort of stuff.

Thanks,
                    Don
                    Last edited by donde1; 2015-02-22, 16:50.

Comment

This data is NOT used for official air traffic control so no safety issue there if turned all off.

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
                        here is all you need...all gaps and positions where receivers are needed
                        http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment
                        I don't know about the rest of the world, but this listing as regards Australia and Oceania is not been updated for years - most of those places in WA now have feeders and as regards Perth where it is shown as a specific exclusion, FR24 receivers continue to be placed there. In Oceania, apart from Australia and New Zealand, the only places with some coverage are New Caledonia, Vanuatu, PNG and Wallis/Futuna - there are many others that would be useful eg Norfolk Island, Lord Howe, Samoa, Solomons.

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
                          This data is NOT used for official air traffic control so no safety issue there if turned all off.
                          So it's just used to update the plane position on the FR24 map and nothing else?

Comment

That is correct

Comment

Originally posted by donde1 View Post
                              So it's just used to update the plane position on the FR24 map and nothing else?
                              Correct. Hobbiest service that is a convenient byproduct of a legitimate system installed in aircraft to stop them bumping into each other. We simply 'sniff' on the side of this information and it is plotted in a central location for everyone to see.

Although not official or guaranteed accurate, many airports/airlines/ground crew use it on their devices, for public entertainment, or to get accurate locations when they do not have direct access to proper official sources like they have in customs offices etc.

/edit snap Amper

Comment

Working...
                              X