Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mode-s antenna (for purchase)

Passenger

Best mode-s antenna (for purchase)

I realize there is already a thread with tremendous information about DIY antennas. I have attempted to sift through all of the 2,000+ messages to find an answer to this question, but I have come up empty. There were some potentially helpful posts earlier in the thread, specifically a post by Mike provides a link to what he found to be the best antenna, but the link is broken and he did not specify the brand or model.

What is the most effective mode-S antenna that I can purchase? I don't mind spending my money, but I want to make sure that I'm spending it on the right thing.

Thanks in advance!
    F-KJAN3 and T-KJAN2...providing ground traffic at JAN and low level coverage around the Jackson, MS metro area

Super Moderator
    Others may disagree, but From the US the DPD might be a valid option for you.

http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout

As with here in the land of the long cloud, shipping from EU is horrendous.

The previous one recommended by FR24 team was the SEE if I recall

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm

Passenger
    Thanks, Oblivian. I had read in the previous thread that the DPD one might not be the best quality. I don't mind waiting for something to ship overseas, but unfortunately it appears that SEE one is no longer available.
    F-KJAN3 and T-KJAN2...providing ground traffic at JAN and low level coverage around the Jackson, MS metro area

Super Moderator
    I have the DPD myself, I went in with someone whos wife bought them back on carry-on so shipping was minimal. Not opened to see the consutrction but fine from the outside. I suspect they are hand made stacked colineras like from the DIY section. And as such have a manual labour premium on them.

Range is pretty good for the limited west view based on the height and my roof/mountains being in the way. I get the odd ground traffic signal from aircraft on the deck some 14kms away without direct Line of sight, so it has its upsides too

Captain
    Yes, the SSEJIM has been long discontinued around mid-end 2012, the time I was looking for ads-b antennas.

Here is a website by Andy that sells 1090mhz stuff, he is one of the early pioneers in ads-b. 2 antennas are sold, the A3 and F5ANN's active PCB antenna.

http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480...ubeh%C3%B6r%22

The A3 antenna is the same as the one provided by FR24, if I am right as they are similar in length and gain. The Active PCB antenna is amplified straight from the antenna, and has a ?SAW filter that keeps the signals close to 1090mhz for reception. This antennas are made in Europe so shipping over to the States will cost extra + customs charges.

Locally for you, the DPD would be the one I can think of. It's just on the long side, length wise. Plenty of reviews available too about it.

In UK Nic Storey has got a Chinese manufacturer that makes a similar antenna to DPD's I think... but last I recall you need at least a few in your country to place the order to him so the manufacturer will sent it to your country. I think it is mentioned somewhere in the best antenna thread (sorry cant be asked to dig it out)

Oh I forgot to mention, Andy did make his own antenna the LR1090 before... I think it is also similar to DPD too in gain. No longer sold as far as I know. You can email him to ask I suppose, if you really wanted to know about it.

Hope this helps.

Passenger
    Thanks so much, you all have helped very much. I'm going to give the DPD a shot, and we'll see what happens.

Captain
    I just remembered, this is the website that sells the antenna like andy's (same spec), made in Finland

http://www.duplexers.eu/catalog/Pro/antennas/a10_1090/

You can find custom made antennas on Ebay sold by guy from Slovakia http://www.ebay.com/sch/stanislavpal...p2047675.l2562

Flight attendant
    I've just taken a leap of faith and ordered a A3 from Jetvision (plus a 5m cable and a SMA to MCX adapter pigtail)

Am looking at about $AUD170 landed (including PayPal fees etc) considering how yukky the $AUD (aka Pacific peso) is against the euro at the mo.

Now the waiting begins ..... :-)

Passenger
    I got around 4 different antennas lately and made tests with them all week long.

Here are some of the results, from a balcony on the 16th floor :

Stock antenna: I works fine when you place it over a piece of metal (12cm) and you can get many signals. I think it's great for getting started, the antenna is included.
    Record distance 200 km

Workman K3 Scanner antenna:
    I first tried different scanner antennas reaching 1090MHz and this one worked well for the price (around 20$) and is already available in almost all electronic stores.
    Record distance 252 km

Highwaymen Scanner antenna:
    Well known antenna. Great for scanner frequencies, but stock antenna is better for ADS-B
    Record distance 180 km

Diapason MCX from jetvision.de:
    The best for me so far... really !
    Record distance (since 2 days) 428 km !

I loved my Diapason antenna so much that I ordered the A3 ADS-B...